Gimmicked Knife for Credit Surprise?

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Mike H

Gimmicked Knife for Credit Surprise?

Post by Mike H » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Heyo,

I recently picked-up a Credit Surprise and the thing that seems to be the biggest disappointment with this trick is the goofy wand/saw thing it comes with. It's obvious there's no way to actually cut a real credit card with that thing (which has been stated many times before).

So I was thinking: has anyone seen a gimmicked knife that could be used for this trick? I think with a more realistic-looking tool this trick could be quite effective. Something that looks like a box cutter or even a pocket knife with a bit of a serrated edge (since the Tenyo prop gives the appearance of a jagged cut) is what I'm thinking...

I've done a bit of searching online and haven't found anything that's EXACTLY what I'm looking for (most knife tricks I've found are either knife thru arm or color changing knives), but I know we've got some very knowledgeable people here, so I thought I'd ask!

Mike H

Re: Gimmicked Knife for Credit Surprise?

Post by Mike H » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:22 pm

OK so thinking about this a bit more it's now so very clear to me:

I *COULD* use just make the blade on a real knife dull so that it won't actually cut anything. Duh!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:23 pm

You could use Crystal Cleavers knife/sword.

But you're onto something with an extremely dull blade
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:33 pm

What you want is a tiny lightsaber on a keyring. Or even better, print a picture of James bond onto the card and use a laser pen, the prop already looks like the table he was put on :)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:34 pm

SimonC wrote:What you want is a tiny lightsaber on a keyring. Or even better, print a picture of James bond onto the card and use a laser pen, the prop already looks like the table he was put on :)
Or you could garrote the thing with piano wire-from-watch.
Where's my colon?!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:15 pm

I like the laser pen idea. Kind of reminds me of David Copperfield's trick where he cuts himself in half with a laser.
But I don't think anyone will really think you are really cutting it in half no matter what you use. You do have the card in a funny looking case after all.
I just try to have fun with the included prop.
I'll usually show the wand part and hide the blade in my hand. I'll put the card in the case and say "I will now use my magic...my magic..." and when the spectator says "wand", I'll say "No, pizza cutter" and flip out that the blade. It usually gets a laugh (or at least a smile).

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:48 pm

Elliot W. wrote:I like the laser pen idea. Kind of reminds me of David Copperfield's trick where he cuts himself in half with a laser.
But I don't think anyone will really think you are really cutting it in half no matter what you use. You do have the card in a funny looking case after all.
I just try to have fun with the included prop.
I'll usually show the wand part and hide the blade in my hand. I'll put the card in the case and say "I will now use my magic...my magic..." and when the spectator says "wand", I'll say "No, pizza cutter" and flip out that the blade. It usually gets a laugh (or at least a smile).

Lol. Use that or an actual pizza cutter and say your card was declined at a Pizza Hut
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:01 am

now we're cooking :)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:38 am

SimonC wrote:now we're cooking :)
Ah. I see what you did there ;)
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:11 am

I do agree with Elliot. The whole thing screams 'gimmick'; using a 'real' knife won't be more impressive for spectators in my opinion.
And by the way, if I'm not mistaking the fake blade you get with the trick does make a rattling noise when you apply some pressure while moving it back and forth, which 'enhances' the illusion :)
But if you're going for a comedy routine something else would be great of course. Take a look at this miniature pizza cutter:

First hide the pizza blade and tell spec you're going to CHOP the credit card. Then change your mind, reveal the pizza blade and tell you're going to SLICE it.