The Best 'Cubio'

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Steve S.

Re: The Best 'Cubio'

Post by Steve S. » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:21 pm

You can set it right in front of them with both hands by simply showing the apparatus and showing how the string runs through the cube and setting it while doing that. There is no need to do it with one hand or in any deceptive manner whatsoever.

I performed and sold close to two hundred of them when I worked at Kanter's and never had any suspicion. In fact, every demo was a sale. No kidding!
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:25 pm

Anyone hold the string in a horizontal fashion and slide the cube back and forth asking your spectator to say stop and then moving the string to a vertical direction showing that the cube hasn't moved? That is a feasible alternate method of performing the trick.

I always do the color changing spot or circle afterwards. Another great visual effect!

Perhaps the greatest impact of the stop on command effect occurs when your spectator attempts to do it and can't.

I always felt that the standard Tenyo version is pretty good. They did something different with the colors. They use three different color spots ( a pair of each) and have spots on all six sides. One black is shinny and the other black spot is flat for obvious reason. No big deal really but a different approach.

Because of the larger size and slipperiness of the plastic, the color change effect can be a bit more difficult to perform with the Tenyo version depending on how much moisture your fingers have at the time of performance.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:01 am

I should have said Jack Sutherland showed me how just picking it up with thumb and forefinger sets it nothing deceptive or suspicious going on. I can believe you sold every one you demonstrated. I wasn't going to leave until I paid for mine. It was the second trick I ever bought the first was Adams cups and balls. Where was Kanters and what years did you show the brass cubios?
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:20 am

Kanter's was located in Philly. I worked there for approximately the last ten years they were in existance. I began selling the Triple Mystery Cube aka Cubio from the late sixties until sometime in the early to mid seventies when we ran out of them.

Adams tricks (and others) started me out as well. I bought their Cups and Balls, Phantom Card Trick, Snapper, Hindu Cones, Magic Coin Box, and so much more. Several years later, I walked into Kanter's and ended up working there and the rest is history. I began my journey into magic at the age of eight.

I have many stories about those grand old days. I told John Mazza a story this week and he wants to start a thread where I can share some of those stories. You may get a kick out of some of them and yawn at others.