dynamic coins

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
SimonC
Global Moderator

dynamic coins

Post by SimonC » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:33 am

hello chaps. I was just playing with DC and was wondering, do the original tenyo instructions include the additional handling where the quarters turn to pennies as a finale? if not I'll upload a video tonight of it and PM anyone who wants to know.
there is already a vid on YouTube but it's got more flashes than a nudist comic store
si
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: dynamic coins

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:58 am

Yes it has the 'surprise cimax' too.

Some time ago I scanned the instructions for John and realized I scanned the instructions from the first Dynamic Coins I bought at Covent Garden in London. The manual is identical but doesn't have the Tenyo logo on it.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:04 am

ahh the magic cave, the little wagon by the market? I had a marked deck I invented sold there a few years ago, was very pleased with myself. it's been bought by someone else now, they have a better range of effects now.
make sure and give me a shout if you're ever coming to London again :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:02 am

Yes, the little wagon :) That little stand was what me got into magic 'seriously'!

I'll sure let you know when I'm coming back, Covent Garden is one of the places I always visit when I come to London :)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:52 am

The first Magic Trick I bought as an adult was Dynamic Coins (Marvin's Magic) at Harrods.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:52 am

I remember a friend showing me when I was about 10. It was the first trick I'd seen that wasn't all plastic, but solid brass and coins. I've bought about 3 just because I use it so much.
Classic, and PORTABLE!
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:55 am

When I was in London and my interest in magic started I saw the Dynamic Coins at the litle stand at Covent Garden. I went to Harrods with the Subway and afterwards to Hamley's where I bought a few Marvin's Magic items like The Great British Cointrick (which came in a set called 'the Executive Collection') and one of my favourites up untill now, The Energised Coin. I encourage everyone to buy the Energised Coin by the way, it is still for sale.

The price in Harrods in their toy-department was the highest for Dynamic Coins, afterwards came Hamley's and The Magic Cave was the cheapest AND they gave you 'a free instruction' :)

Ah ... memories!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:43 am

I remember the magic stall there from the first time my parents took me to London, it was the most exciting thing! I have to go back there every time I visit, even tho I know what tricks are there. It's just a very special place. When I got the 'jenzo marked deck' sold on there it was only for a couple of weeks but I was so proud!
Davenports is great too, it's hide under a tube station in true Harry potter style.
There's a great little pub in the middle of covent garden called Punch and Judy, let me know when you're next down and I'll meet you there. I think we should all go, anyone who can't we'll prop up an ipad on the table and skype ;)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:08 am

I've been to Davenports two times (it wasn't exactly eay to find) and the first time I bought two X-Ray Files and the second time two Mindspinners along with a few other non-Tenyo items. I still have the flashy yellow bag with their logo they gave me to carry the tricks :P
I loved the fact when you go in there and ask them to 'perform something' they do, the sellers are very skilled. I remember buying Dutch Sandwich which totally baffled me.

I went 4 times to Covent Garden during the past few years and always had lunch at the Pizza Hut, very cheap and a good buffet :)
In the evening I went to Chinatown in a small 'all you can eat' Chinese (DUH!) buffet. Also very cheap and, well, all you can eat is what I like :)
Never went to Punch And Judy however.

Our school always visits London in march/april and I usually can join as a 'supervisor'. There's one 'free' afternoon we have and that's the time for me to visit Hamley's and Covent Garden and watch all those same miracles for the thousand time over and over again :) I will let you know if and when I'll visit next year Simon!

Chris Wahlers

Post by Chris Wahlers » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:59 am

Quick question re. dynamic coins: any ideas for releasing the inserts from the caps? My set is new (it's the Magic+Entertainment version from Japan), but even a hefty 'bang' on a hard surface doesn't release the inserts - they seem to be well and truly stuck. Before anyone rightly asks, yes, I am using the ring... :D

Reluctant to start with pliers etc. for fear of damaging them...

Thanks in advance,
Chris

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:13 pm

Use them every day and it will get looser. Store them with a coin on top of the gimmick and push hard before putting away.

Chris Wahlers

Post by Chris Wahlers » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:05 pm

Thanks David, that's helpful, although right now I'm stuck at pre-use - it's the initial loosening I'm stuck with, they just won't come out! Tempted to get some WD40 on them...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:29 am

I’ve used a metal nail file ...

It worked great, although it’s too loose now :D

So I take no responsibility if you follow my advice and screw your props :D

Chris Wahlers

Post by Chris Wahlers » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:10 pm

Thanks Rob, all good now. And I got hold of some nice matching Y100 coins which I introduced along with the stack - my 7 and 4-year-olds were suitably amazed. :roll:

Appreciate any respectable coin man probably uses proper coin boxes, but I assume someone out there has routined some tricks using the dynamic set? Or is it just too well-known a gimmick for anyone to bother?

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:19 pm

That was my first "Tenyo" trick. It was actually packaged by Marvin's Magic. I saw it being demoed at Harrods in London when I was there on "Holiday." I remember being on the plane trying it for the first time and couldn't get it to work. It does get loose over time.

If it gets too loose you can rub some Magician's Wax on the sides of the gimmick for more of a hold.