Those tell tale noises

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
David (Felderswynne)

Those tell tale noises

Post by David (Felderswynne) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:37 am

I remember reading about a plains, native American tribe that had some interesting shamanic practices. One custom required the constructing of a large tent for the shaman to use while performing sacred rituals. Because inside the tent was regarded as a sacred space, only the shaman was allowed entrance into the rent. To the tribe members who sat outside, the tent would shake, as odd noises came from within. This reminded me of an old stage trick where horns sounded and objects were tossed out of a seemingly empty cabinet.
For anyone concerned about performing a trick that produces a click or some other suspicious noise, I say incorporate the noise into your performance, claiming for example, that within the confines of a box or tube, something mysterious is happening. You could even add other noises as a distraction (misdirection), possibly perplexing the audience all the more...just an idea.
Last edited by David (Felderswynne) on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mystery becomes greater as the box becomes smaller"

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Those tell tale noises

Post by SimonC » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:22 am

I love your description of this :) and the philosophy, embrace a 'negative' and turn it into a positive. necessity is the mother of invention :)
here's an example I did you may not have seen, where I took the rather unceremonious 'thunk' made by 4d trunk, and incorporated it into the trick...
http://youtu.be/GaNw-cYAUdk
(as always, I have a large supply of the invisible balls I use in this version. at least I think I do. either that or I have a large empty garage.)
Si
Now you see me...

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:23 am

I agree with you Felderswynne. I have read suggestions to cover the noise with tapping something on the table at the same time there is a noise coming fro inside the prop. But I also think that it is the best to give an explanation of the noise instead of trying to cover it.

My idea to present the Crystal Cleaver:

I say that I will try to make the crystal box snap. I make a fist and I pretend to hit the top of the tall box (actually I slow down my hand as I approach the top of the box and just press it). That does not eliminate the sound but makes a logical explanation of what is causing it. And they are even more surprised when they examine the crystal box at the end and it is undamaged. I know this might not the way for everyone, but works for me well.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

David (Felderswynne)

Post by David (Felderswynne) » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:16 pm

I have always heard that one of the flaws with the Crystal Casket is it's noise. I have seen it on Youtube, and I think you could make the sound part of the effect. As I recall, the noise sounds like something dropping but otherwise not very revealing. When you cover the trick to perform it, have an audience member hold on to part of the cover, while the magician has their hand underneath the cloth. You could even devise a gimmicked cloth that causes it to move about a la Zombie. Something could even be attached to the spire of the pyramid to leave the impression of some ghostly action. Once the noise is heard, the magician could quickly remove the cover showing the captured ring (isn't that what happens?) I believe with some refinement it could become a super effect noise and all. A miniature seance

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:54 am

Leave the stand with gimmick locked in place. Over time the sound will be less because ... well you know why ;) Also, applying a piece of thick velvet on the inner side of the cover helps.
In any case mine doesn't have that loud clicking sound anymore - a tiny 'click', yes, but nothing that arouses suspicion.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:39 am

Crystal Pyramid/Coin In The Crypt was an immediate hit with me.
But the noise, man. The noise!
More proves a challenge than anything else. It's too loud and too long for banter to cover it. Copperfield can't hide that noise.
So I've been trying to figure a way to make a less supernatural/more silly kid-friendly story for the trick as well as incorporate the noise as part of the trick itself.

First, have someone sign on a penny.

Show the trick and say that it's a mock-up of an actual museum exhibit at the ___(name a well known museum in town)___.
On one end of the room is an ancient copper disk (place penny in holder).
On the other end is an ancient Egyptian container; and inside it....is an ELF! (quickly lift and open the box).
Do you see him?! Do you?! No?
Well, the elf is very tricky. I haven't seen him either. But they say the ELF makes a lot of noise at night time.
(cover the box, place it on the stand).
To make sure the ELF didn't escape the container, it was surrounded by a glass pyramid. (Place Pyramid on stand)
But there was one night (cover the trick).
The ELF was stirring about (activate gimmick).
But the next morning. The ancient copper disk was GONE!
"Call the police! The ancient copper disk has been stolen!" They all said.
But no one confessed.
No one stole the disk.
(take off Pyramid and open container cover to show signed penny)
...But if you ask the ELF...
Where's my colon?!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:55 am

What an interesting story and routine Brett. Thanks for sharing it with us. Love it ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:03 am

thanks Brett, you've given me an excuse to blow the dust off my crystal pyramid. it's one of my favourite tenyo mechanisms but I just don't perform it as it's more suspicious than the hamburglar. cheers :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:54 am

Thank you Brett!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:01 pm

That is a routine that works.
Good idea cover that noise by pointing it out. ;)
Thanks.

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

David (Felderswynne)

Post by David (Felderswynne) » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:16 pm

a little extension to the discussion about noise.....Given that the Crystal Cleaver makes some noise, you could shake it several times allowing the ring to raddle all the while by pointing it out. You could then take the entire prop and say "one, two" and then ask the audience to scream "three". The swiftness of the effect might really astound and fool people as well as distract them from the noise made by the prop.