I did it!

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
Mike H

I did it!

Post by Mike H » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:44 am

After many months, I've FINALLY been able to get my hands on my "holy grail" Tenyo trick: Bare Bones!

I've bid on pretty much every Bare Bones auction the past 6 months but kept losing-out. One popped-up a few days ago and I was determined to win it. I happened to have some extra cash to throw at it so at the last minute I swooped-in and put an INSANE maximum bid (that's how determined I was) but ended-up snagging it for less than $90, the lowest price I've seen it go for since I started keeping track of Tenyo auction sales on The Tenyo Market.

I'm so excited, I just had to gush about it to my friends here :D

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: I did it!

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Congratulations Mike! Yes, I know how it feels to get your hands on your holy grail for a normal price :)

Bare Bones is one heck of a trick that will put a smile on your face once you play with it. It is a must have for every collector of magic tricks because the mechanism (if you can call it that) behind it is diabolical.

Now one advice: practice this one a few times before attempting to perform. The routine needs a bit of memory work but above all there's one 'move' that needs to be done exactly as the manual sais - it's not hard, but you need to get the hang of it.

Enjoy your Bare Bones :D

justme-Rick

Post by justme-Rick » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Congrats Mike, you are gonna love this one and David's right it does take a little practice to get it right. Once you do your creative nature takes over, then there's no limits......

Mike H

Post by Mike H » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:04 pm

Awesome, thanks guys. You're making me even more excited to get my hands on it!

One of the things that has drawn me to it is I just CANNOT work-out how its done. I mean a lot of Tenyo tricks use similar principles and I find myself more and more being able to tell how a trick is done just by watching a YouTube video of it, but Bare Bones has always completely stumped me. I'm excited to see how it works.

And that ending is a real killer! I only wish the auction would have been a few days sooner so I could have gotten it before Halloween and had time to practice. It would be an awesome trick to show my family tomorrow...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:10 pm

Congrats Mike! This is a very clever trick and yet easy to make yourself which I did. You can see it on one of my YouTube videos.
http://youtu.be/pySrRBf2JlU
Again, great you could buy this for a very decent price!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:12 pm

great news Mike, we all know that feeling, really chuffed you've got your holy grail in the way. it's a really fun one to practice. pour yourself a drink, out some tunes on and take a bit of time over it. just be good to Barbara, she and I were very close once upon a time ;)
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:14 pm

and ribs version is really cool too, I actually saw it about a year before I met rob, when I was in the same boat as you, trying to work out how the heck that bloody trick worked!
Now you see me...

Shan

Post by Shan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:05 am

Congrats mike!!! I still remembered how much you wanted barebones!!im happy for you!

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:45 am

You got it right on time (halloween present) I'm sure you will enjoy it. Congrats Mike :)
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:34 am

That is awesome. Even better that you got it within a good price range, all things considering with some good snipery!

Congrats and enjoy!
Where's my colon?!

Mike H

Post by Mike H » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:46 am

Got it in the mail yesterday, spent a few hours with it last night. Wow, what an ingenious design!

I think it has to hold the record for "most pieces of gimmicked plastic" of any Tenyo trick ;)
You seriously can't show a SINGLE piece of the trick freely to the audience. They can only see things from the angles that you dictate.

But I'm sublimely happy to own this, I can't wait to show it to friends & family. That ending is still such a killer!

Shan

Post by Shan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:52 am

good to hear that you like it mike!:)
but for me it does not always work well..
the "sliding"part is too catchy and risky for me to perform

Mike H

Post by Mike H » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:09 pm

Thanks, Shan!

You know, for me, it's the flippy part that doesn't always work right but I think it's just me needing to practice the move more.

Sorry you're having trouble with the sliding part, I could totally see that getting worn-out and start catching on the blocks over time as it gets "squeezed" over and over. Hopefully by then I'll have the fabrication skills of Rob and can just make my own!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:44 pm

my study part has vowed inwards slightly on all four sides so it catches a lot, I need to crack open the instructions again and have another practice this weekend
Now you see me...

Mike H

Post by Mike H » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:29 pm

Yeah Simon, that's what I'm afraid will happen to mine eventually (and sounds like has already happened to Shan).

Perhaps John could find a way to make replacements for it like he has with See-Through Card (and other tricks)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Yes, this trick is not easy to perform - needs some serious practice to have the angle you drop the cube in the cover exactly right.