Tenyo with a manufacturing defect?

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
kellebotond
Charter Member

Tenyo with a manufacturing defect?

Post by kellebotond » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:58 am

Hello All,

This is might be only interesting to me because I'm a mechanical engineer, but maybe interesting to some of you as well.

We all know that Tenyo items are famous for their excellent quality. I have not seen any Tenyo item so far with a manufacturing defect. I was just taking photos of a few items and I noticed that there is a defect at the inside of the Little Saving Box I have. (You can check it at the picture). I think this kind of mistake is called FLASH in plastic injection molding. Basically this is excess plastic squeezing out during the molding at parting line. This is definitely a manufacturing defect. It is usually caused by either applying too much pressure or a worn-out, old mold. May happen at first shots while mold is being set up but these faulty items should be surely thrown away and not being sold. As far as I can tell the item I have is genuine Tenyo (but I could be wrong), although it has the rabbit on the bottom.

Have you ever came across a manufacturing defect of Tenyo items like that? It could be common for this item maybe I just did not know that. Or it could be that it is not Tenyo just a knock off. Or maybe Tenyo sold the used worn-out mold to someone who manufactured items with that later?

What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Re: Tenyo with a manufacturing defect?

Post by Elliot W. » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:17 am

The only manufacturing defect I remember seeing is with Fade away case. When I got mine the ends of the film were stuck to the case instead of each other and the trick wouldn't work at all. It took me a while to figure out that it was broken and how to repair. And it wasn't only mine. A number of people on the cafe had the same problem. I suppose it could have been just one batch that went out bad.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:50 am

Yes I had a defect on one cup of the Elevator Coins. The regular coin didn't fit, they did fit in the other cups. It was a BNIP product.
I solved it by using some smaller coins.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:33 am

Just checked my two Litle Savings Boxes and they both have one or two spots that are not as they should be. So I guess it is pretty common with this trick.

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks for the replies.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:45 am

kellebotond wrote:Basically this is excess plastic squeezing out during the molding at parting line. This is definitely a manufacturing defect.
What do you think?
I think the excess could help us become a "stopper".
Imagine if you have everything smooth. :D
But of course there should be another ways to create stopper.

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:53 am

I think that this is good example of why Tenyo does discontinue products. If the mold gets worn-out too much you need to mae a new one. And that could be very expensive. Maybe these savings boxes are from the last runs.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:41 pm

I used to work in the plastics industry, and this type of problem is not uncommon. Usually it's caught during quality control and the pieces--if it's a good factory--never enter the marketplace.