Recreating Tenyo

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
PeterW

Recreating Tenyo

Post by PeterW » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:44 pm

Hi I enjoy wood working in my spare time and I thought I would attempt to make a nice collector version of a Tenyo effect. I choose Tenyo's Magical Door and decided to recreate the effect in exotic walnut. I choose this Tenyo piece because I felt my wood working skill level could achieve it and felt confident that a nice wooden version would look better than the plastic version. I am pretty happy with the end result and have include pictures here for you to see. I should add I didn't photograph the back side of the door panels here but they can be cleanly shown to the audience because there is absolutely nothing to be seen ; )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Recreating Tenyo

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:50 pm

This really looks amazing Peter! Woodworking is something I want to master too, but I have just not enough space in my house for that. Therefore I only make things from cardboard or Lego or LaQ.

Great, and what is your next project? Mini-morphosis?

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks for the kind words. Funny you should mention Mini-morphosis. I had a fellow magician that knew I was into woodworking ask me to create a wooden prototype of a magic effect he had created. We set up a meeting so he could show me the effect and after seeing his performance I was sorry to tell him that his idea was already on the market. He had never seen Mini-Morphisis but ended up coming up with the exact same principle : ) He was very sad when I pulled out my phone and showed him a Youtube performance of Tenyo's version : ) Great minds think alike : )

I'm not sure what I will try next, but it won't be for awhile as here in Canada my work shop is currently freezing cold. I did very much however like the effect you posted with the inverted dice here: http://youtu.be/DfA_Az3hl0Y
I think that wouldn't be too difficult to make and may one day try to tackle that!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:09 pm

This is beautiful Peter, I was toying with making one of these earlier in the year as i also make wooden tenyo tricks (there's a few dotted around on the forum, if you search for tenyo tribute you should find them, I also did mirror mate in wood)
Im fortunate enough to have a laser cutter in my workshop at work to add designs, I'd never be able to get that level of detail by hand. I'd love to see more of your work, looking forward to getting to know you and your work :)
Now you see me...

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks Simon! I look forward to searching the forum to see the other tributes to Tenyo!

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:23 am

wow that does look very very cool!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:58 pm

That looks stunning.

Perfectly done and the key is so cool too.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:39 am

This looks amazing!!.....beautiful!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:17 am

Great work Peter! Will you have some for sale or trade in the future?

Steffen from Germany

Post by Steffen from Germany » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:09 am

Not only does this look very cool, it's also a perfect choice of trick. While many Tenyo effects are good because they are lightweight and small, the door theme really does benefit from something sturdier. I guess the effect will even be stronger than the original.

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:23 am

Great work Peter look forward to your next project :D

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:09 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:Great work Peter! Will you have some for sale or trade in the future?
I unfortunately don't have any for sale.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:45 pm

Very nice, I like it!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:25 pm

That looks really really good and would buy that for sure. I like the base is as wide as the panels and the key and panels looks great too. Magical door is one of my favorites.

Peter that puts the Elite version to shame by light years.

I would be first in line if you decide to make any of these very nice. ;)

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Richard W wrote:...

Peter that puts the Elite version to shame by light years.
Richard
I fully agree with Richard.

I'm VERY tempted to make an article comparing your version against the new Elite version on my website and/or on Facebook ... .
But Peter, your version was one of a kind if I understood correctly? :(

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:04 pm

Hi David and Richard, I made 6 copies of Magical Door in Walnut wood several years ago. I sold all the copies at my magic club and unfortunately don't have any plans to make any more. I wood work in my free time and that was was a fun project to create and I was very happy with how they turned out. Maybe one day I will invent my own magic effect and if that occurs I'd be happy to create copies for members here on the forum.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:30 am

PeterW wrote:Hi David and Richard, I made 6 copies of Magical Door in Walnut wood several years ago. I sold all the copies at my magic club and unfortunately don't have any plans to make any more. I wood work in my free time and that was was a fun project to create and I was very happy with how they turned out. Maybe one day I will invent my own magic effect and if that occurs I'd be happy to create copies for members here on the forum.
=================================================================
That would make a bunch of us here very happy! :D

Once again, if you do decide to make the "Magical Door" count me in.
and now, on with the show ...

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:10 am

I can't understand why Tenyo Elite couldn't come up with something as nice as this. Especially at the price they are asking. This is a great trick, deserving of an Elite version, but the TE design team really should have put more thought and effort into their new release.

BillD

Post by BillD » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:11 am

Hi Peter,
Your Magical Door looks stunning.....please add me to the list if you ever consider doing another run.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:02 am

I`m sorry Peter to remind the members here about your doors in the Tenyo Elite thread but seems this will become a good business for you. Hope you don`t mind :) :)

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:06 pm

This version looks stunning! Much nicer than the Elite version. I do some occasional woodworking myself, and getting as nice a finish as you have here takes some skill. Impressive!

This is a trick I really like, and I think most spectators are baffled by it, and it isn't necessarily that easy to figure out, especially if you only see it performed once. Watching a video many times over helps a lot (yes, I did that to figure it out before creating my own version)...