Mismarked Instructions

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
Elliot W.
Charter Member

Mismarked Instructions

Post by Elliot W. » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:57 pm

So I recently received a really old copy of Silk to Egg. I was about to toss it into my duplicates box when I realized that the instructions were marked T-87 when it is supposed to be T-68. Except for the wrong T number the instructions were exactly the same as the newer one. The box was also marked correctly with T-68.
Has anyone else come across any mistakes like this?

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: Mismarked Instructions

Post by JohnM » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:20 pm

I just got one in and the instructions are T-68. Same with the one in my collection.

Is there type on the back or are their cartoon illustrations?

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:21 am

This one has type on the back.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:39 am

That's rare. I have never seen one with type on the back. I was not sure if they ever made them with type on the back since it is such a later release than the other small box tricks. I was thinking that they maybe started making them when they started making the small boxes with the cartoon illustrations.

I will be working on a packaging variation page next for the website and will write about the different iterations of the small cardboard box and instructions. It will most likely be information in general and not a trick by trick listing (like the prop variation page) as there are so many packaging variations in the early years. Thankfully in the later years it settled down a bit.

One thing is very odd, we know Tenyo to strive for high quality and perfection but there was such inconsistency when it comes to props, packaging and instructions. What went wrong there?

I was lucky to just get one from my short need/want list, Match and Flower. The box says Match and Flower the instructions say Match to Flower. To me that is not that unusual for Tenyo but I also was able to get it with a second instruction sheet that says Match and Flower. Also the instructions are different in that one has the box with the magician code and the other does not and one has the rabbit on the top left and one on the bottom right. What is surprising about this is that this trick to my knowledge was not produced as long as ones like Cubio or Chameleon Silk so to have such variety in the instructions surprised me.

If both of your Silk to Egg have the type then I would be interested in one of them if you are willing to part with it.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:51 am

All these threads just scream 'look into your collection' for me ... . I have absolutely no idea what font type was used on box or instructions, what T-numbers were printed, and so on ... .

I have a lot of duplicates and perhaps there are some 'mistyped' or 'rare' versions among them. if so I would have no problem to trade for a 'regular' version since the 'rare' ones do not have any special value to me. I will let you guys know in the future - we are currently looking for a house to buy and this takes LOADS of time trust me ... . One of my absolute must haves is having a 'magic' room for all my magic tricks to store in display cabinets - store them in the living room is a no-go for the wife ;)

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:48 am

I know what you mean. I am rapidly running out of space but my wife can't complain since she collects dollhouses :)

John, my other silk to egg I bought recently so it's got the regular illustrations on the back. I actually never noticed the difference until you mentioned it. I suppose I may be willing to trade the older one if you like.

I did notice many differences and variations in props and instructions with the old tricks such as Milk Tumbler, Rainbow Silks and Diminishing Cards.
This one just caught my eye because of the wrong T number which I hadn't seen before.