Show you collection

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
Peter G
Charter Member

Show you collection

Post by Peter G » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:15 pm

This is mine...As you can all see the cabinet is small so there is no more room for other Tenyo anymore ....

Tenyo:

Other magic:

Hope to see some others here also!

Peter

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: Show you collection

Post by JohnM » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Very nice.

I am working on re-photographing my shelves.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:34 am

wow....nice collection!

Interesting yellow Phantom Clock......is the first time I see one of this color.

I'm preparing my ninja suite to go and grab this Magiro item!......lol ;)

You have some nice Mikame and Alan Warner pieces.........what is this small square wooden box with some discs/coins in front of it in the right of the second shelf (top to bottom) on the non Tenyo cabinet?

Peter G
Charter Member

Post by Peter G » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:03 am

Thanks!

It's called the 'China Ring Mirakel' (China Ring Miracle) from German artist Wessel. I think I saw a similar trick from him on your channel if I recall correctly.

I think the Yellow clock was for the Japanese market only...

Peter

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:11 am

Great display cabinets Peter! Reminds me I still have to put your picture up on my website ... .

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:46 am

Really nice display.

Unfortunately I don't have room for a display cabinet at all. I used to keep them in boxes but they were too inaccessible. I eventually got a really small cabinet just to store them in. Eventually this got too full and started overflowing into boxes.
I recently took everything out, took some pictures and reorganized everything so that I managed to fit all 290+ tricks in or on top of the cabinet.
It's not that pretty to look at but it's the best I can do for now. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:38 pm

I love the CHERRY ON TOP.

A sealed Doug Henning Magic Set with a Doug Henning Floating Lady.

That's got me drooling. Gaz, you better put a bib on.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Actually since I still never opened the thing,I have no idea if the Floating Lady is the DH version or the standard Tenyo version. The picture on the front and back of the box is of the standard version.

By the way, as you can see, the box is humongous for only 4 tricks. I think they went out of business because they spent to much on the packaging.

Peter G
Charter Member

Post by Peter G » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Great Collection!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:11 pm

You know what they say about BIG BOXES ...

For sure it has the DH Floating Lady.

I always told Elliot that if he trades it or sells it to me, I would open in up right in front of him. But he will never part with it. I offered him a crazy trade and he declined. When I looked back at the offer I was amazed how crazy I was to offer so much and how crazy he was to decline it. But I totally understand.

Elliot is a good example of a patient collector. He will not spend a lot on the items he needs but if you notice he has some really rare pieces like Super Vase a la India, Elevator Coin and a Sears and Roebuck Tenyo Set. Plus I know he has a lot of other rare Tenyo that lurk in the shadows. Good job Elliot.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Here is the magic wall of my workshop
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:28 pm

And here's the close up. Got a few MB versions waiting to be replaced, and check out the limited edition MazzCorp card frame up top. note the bottom shelf of shame, with all of the cheap and cheerful non-Tenyos and my homemade efforts (billscape, fortune sticks, clear surprise, magic painting).
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:54 pm

Great thread. I love looking at Tenyo Collections. It is so cool to see the various ways people present their Tenyo. For sure we are all so proud of our collections that we present them prominently.

I hope that we will be seeing the WALL OF TENYO posted here soon.

Homemade Billscape is a great idea.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:00 pm

Simon,
I don't know if your homemade efforts belong on the shelf of shame considering what I've seen of your other work.
Anyway the room really looks great. I really have to commandeer a room in my house for a magic room. Maybe when the kids move out. Wait, I just remembered reading this article. Never mind.

JohnM wrote:
Elliot is a good example of a patient collector. He will not spend a lot on the items he needs but if you notice he has some really rare pieces like Super Vase a la India, Elevator Coin and a Sears and Roebuck Tenyo Set. Plus I know he has a lot of other rare Tenyo that lurk in the shadows. Good job Elliot.
Thanks John,
I do have a couple of rare lurking Tenyos in there but still missing plenty of T- numbers.
The way I see it is that it'd be too easy if I went on eBay paid big bucks for them. Finding them for lower prices is more challenging and fun! (or so I tell myself)
JohnM wrote:I always told Elliot that if he trades it or sells it to me, I would open in up right in front of him. But he will never part with it. I offered him a crazy trade and he declined. When I looked back at the offer I was amazed how crazy I was to offer so much and how crazy he was to decline it. But I totally understand.
I'm glad you understand because my wife sure doesn't! Actually she and the kids are more concerned with the fact that I haven't opened it. They just can't understand me buying "a cardboard box" and just leaving it there without opening it up and playing with what's inside. (Assuming there is something inside :) )

My wife went so far as to bake me this cake for my birthday:
(Sorry I had to take out some personal text and names. The cake was not made for public consumption :D )

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:45 pm

What a smashing cake!
I was quite pleased with my billscape actually, I works perfectly. I gave up trying to find one so I watched youtube til worked it out, naughty I know.
I needed a workshop and i got myself a man-shed. it was the perfect opportunity to get my magic out of the house, and away from the curious paws of my new baby boy too (there's a mini magic collection of 'abracadoobries' I'm putting aside for him on the right hand side of the wall. He'll probably be nonplussed but you never know)
Now you see me...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:52 pm

I give my kids all my fake Tenyo. They come pre-broken so there are no worries.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:06 pm

A Doug Henning Cake!

That is awesome!!! Love the buck teeth.

What a great sense of humor she has.

I have a new approach to getting that set. I was thinking of training as a Ninja and coming to your home to get it but I think I can just make a high offer to the Mrs. when you are out and that might do it. ;)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:19 pm

Here is my opinion on opening a shrink-wrapped item such as your DH Floating Lady Set.

I would open it because there are none known of in collections that are opened or closed. So opening it IMO will not decrease the value. If there were some of them out there and you had the only sealed one, then I would maybe think differently. I would open it to also be able to see what the instructions and insides look like.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Too late John, spot the difference ;)

On the shrink wrapping issue, when I was at school my friends dad had a shrink wrapping machine. We'd buy CDs, copy them, shrink wrap them and take them back (I know, nothing's changed). This leads me to think that a shrink wrapped product has the potential to be more dodgy than one that isn't. That may just be a sealed box of toothbrushes I just tole from you ;)
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:27 pm

I actually have no Tenyos, that's an empty cabinet, I lifted them all off everyone else's ;)
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:34 pm

IMO you can tell if it is a new shrink-wrap or a re-do. I am referring here just to Tenyo items. I have a sealed Tenyo set with a Floating Lady in it. Not the DH but another set they made. I can tell by the age of the shrink-wrap and the condition of it that it is original. Older shrink-wrap is often brittle and there is usually dirt in the creases. I can also tell by the sound when I shake it that there are plastic magic tricks in there. I could be wrong. I hope I am not.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Nice virtual theft Simon.

Are you willing to sell or trade your virtual Doug Henning Set.

If not, will you be willing to virtually opening it so we can see what is inside?

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:42 pm

I f****ng knew it!
I was going to offer a swap for an invisible man a vanishing point and a wandering hole ;)
Knew I shouldn't have opened it
Now you see me...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Oh c'mon I felt sure there were at least some Chinese knock off in there.

And I thought my firewall was supposed to prevent virtual thefts like that!

Truthfully though I could tell that the shrink wrap is old so nothing was done to it recently but it's very possible someone way back when opened the box, took out the tricks and re-wrapped it. All the more reason not to open it. :mrgreen:

And John I will be keeping an eye on your old house in case you decide to go back there and use it as a base of operations...
Last edited by Elliot W. on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:04 pm

SimonC wrote:I f****ng knew it!
I was going to offer a swap for an invisible man a vanishing point and a wandering hole ;)
Knew I shouldn't have opened it
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!