New 2017 Tenyo Line Coming Out on Thursday Sept.22

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
Steve S.

Re: New 2017 Tenyo Line Coming Out on Thursday Sept.22

Post by Steve S. » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:29 pm

Perhaps I should mention that a variety of both brass effects have been around for many years.

Ring on Bolt is an old classic and what they seem to have done here is to add a lock in order to make the prop more deceptive. These have been made from metals other than brass as well.

My favorite version of Antigravity Ball is made of wood and is a miniature baseball bat and ball. It's cute and creative! Antigravity Ball has also been made from metals other than brass.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:15 am

After David, I picked up the 4 T series at the post office this morning. I actually want to wait until the online English instructions ready in end of Oct. I am afraid I can't wait.:)

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:09 pm

Victor...it can be fun to play with a Tenyo trick without the instructions to see if you can figure it out.

I did that with Vault Vision and it puzzled me greatly. I saw that special thing but could not figure out just how it operated. When I tried different coins, I finally got it. That did not happen right away. It took me a few sittings with it until it came to me.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:46 pm

I agree with Steve that it can be fun to figure it out. I did this with Crystal Cleaver when I was 10 (when it was under the Magic Works banner), and it was super satisfying to figure that out on my own...especially since id didn't have any instructions in the box (it was on layaway because the box was mangled up pretty bad. I'm surprised it had all the parts, especially considering how many 'Cleaver has)

However, some Tenyo are known to be a bit fragile. So with that, does anyone (namely David and Richard) know if the new Tenyo T-numbers have any fragility issues? I would only imagine that maybe the frame of Legendary Puzzle would be fragile, but it'd be nice for a confirmation.
Where's my colon?!

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Good point Brett! Handling the apparatus gingerly is a great idea! You may tweak it in the wrong direction and crack...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:06 pm

Steve S. wrote:... You may tweak it in the wrong direction and crack...
It happened to my Wonder Window once....luckily I got the second one.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:49 am

Last night, I decided to play with Tenyo Perpetual Puzzle and all I want to say :

>buy it!
>very nice design, quality and finish
>it`s possible to hand it out for examination
>clever construction of props
>the secrets are totally different with the one existed in the market (they are so good)
>enjoy the cleverness of the props and
>enjoy the subtleties to make the illusion perfect and to make the handling easier.
>it`s not really suitable for kids.
In addition get a good patter for the routine to convince the spec.

I rate this 9 out of 10.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:36 am

Completely agree Victor, it's great! Still need to perform it and put it through the wife test though but that will be something for the weekend :)

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:14 pm

I see no point in buying items from Tenyo that they are merely importing from other magic companies: they are not "Tenyo" items. Tenyo functions as a general magic store in Japan, and sells lots of stuff it doesn't make. They've narrowed down that type of item greatly in the past few years as internet sales have taken off (in other words, their large line has suffered the same fate as brick and mortar magic shops around the world).

We did not include any of these in Tenyoism by general consensus because they have nothing to do with Tenyo. (They still make their own brass Okito boxes, by the way.)

And, in a bit of unfortunate news, it apparently has been decided that the Party Party magic line will not be sold outside Japan (which means no real English instructions). And the silk trick is not the "Silks from Newspaper" that I thought at first.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:28 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I see no point in buying items from Tenyo that they are merely importing from other magic companies: they are not "Tenyo" items.
I assume the items they release pass their quality control so they are very good quality (unlike a Nut And Bolt Mystery I bought years ago for example which can't be examined at all). That's a reason for me to buy them. If I'm mistaking let me know Richard.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:26 pm

The quality will be good, but these items are not made to any set of standards dictated by Tenyo. Tenyo merely buys from companies that sell reputable products.

You could probably buy the identical item for less, and of the same quality, from numerous magic dealers. As Dai Vernon said, "Use your head." If something seems to be unbelievably cheap, or too good to be true, it's probably crap.

Remember that there are very few magic shops in Japan (and there were none at all until Ton Onosaka's MAGIC Land opened in the 1970s). So Tenyo always had a ready market to sell items that were available at other magic shops around the world.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:59 pm

Last night, I decided to play with Tenyo Water Crystal and all I want to say :

>it depends on your taste, I personally like it although it uses the classic Hyper vision, Mystic Scope or Magic Mirror technology but for laymen it`s completely different trick.

>easy handling, no complex move and easy control. I was quite surprise to see how easy the "gimmick" moves. But actually I want to read the English instruction to find out the correct move and handling for it.

>very nice innocent look design, quality and finish. The illusion is perfect with water.

>it`s not possible to hand it out for examination but you can show all parts of the props before and after.
Idea (could be good or bad :)) : if we want to show that the the prediction permanently appear, it think it`s possible to hand it out for examination. After we show the prediction appear, we pour again the water into the glass, take a napkin and dry the device and in the same time steal the gimmick. But this will ruin the effect that the prediction appear in the water.

>nice construction of prop and prediction is easily replaceable. I like the design and illusion of the blank prediction. It`s really like gazing into the crystal ball.

I rate this 8 out of 10.

:)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:54 pm

Very quick review of the Magic Square...
DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE CLEVERNESS OF THIS EFFECT!!!!
There are two very elegant secrets at play in this deceptively innocent looking set.
I stood and smiled for about 30 seconds after I caught onto the first one. The second one passed me by until just now!
This is a bullet-proof worker and I love it!
Now you see me...

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:22 pm

Harry Lorayne used it in his memory act for decades. It is a pro-grade routine, honed through years of experience working for laymen, something you don't see released in the magic world very often.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:32 am

I don't have the Magic Square yet but will certainly buy it and if Simon sais it's clever I am most certain it will be :)
The only little issue I have with this effect is that a Magic Square puzzle is a well known mathematical trick where I live, almost everyone knows it (which doesn't mean they know how to do it).
So ... I don't know this one will really impress a lot of people where I live ... .

Richard or Simon, what makes this new version better than the classic one? Is it the choice of numbers the spectator has?

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:01 am

It's difficult to say without revealing too much. Basically....
The first secret allows you to know which key number to use without any mental arithmetic. This is more suitable to younger magicians who may not be confident subtracting 21 from a number quickly. The method however, is slick :)
The second secret removes the need for any memory work. The reason this is so exciting is that this is such a strong effect but the memory work always got in the way of me performing it. This method is SO elegant and cool(in my humble opinion) and I can now perform this with confidence :)
Treat yourself David ;) even if everyone in Belgium knows magic squares you'll be able to do it super quick, and I feel because this set will mean Ill perform it more, I'll rely less and less on secret 2 anyway!
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:10 pm

A couple more mini mentalist reviews...
The ESP deck has some really nice routines combined in one deck. There's a bunch of scope to develop your own, but there are 6 different ones provided. Three of them I will perform one after another as a three phase routine. The main secret some of us will be familiar with and is very sneaky but there's a few others in the box too :)
Flash Cards I have finally figured out and there's again, a few very elegant and clever principles at play here. You can do a nice two-phase routine with this and the second half in particular will seem very impossible. Very nicely presented too, nice materials used.
Dream Psychometry we are all familiar with and this original version is again, very strong. Nice cards and a nicer-than usual pouch to keep them in.

In short I am putting all four inti a pouch and using them as a stand-alone mentalist set. With the rogjtboatter these are strong enough to hold their own. I will be road testing them at the weekend in the pubs of colchester

I would say as a set I would do...

Three card esp choice
Dream psychometry
Flash cards
Magic square
esp main effect
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:16 pm

(And I would use the pend and whiteboard (back) to write my predictions for flash cards)
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:22 pm

Simon,
very funny that by coincidence you made 2 reviews of Mental Series that I cancelled to order (Magic Square and ESP Deck). Seems that I made a very wrong decision. Thanks for the review ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:16 pm

They're worth getting eventually :)
Today I opened magic maze and the impossible puzzle.
Both very clever :)
The magic maze is a thing of beauty in terms of what makes it work, so smart!
The cards are very nice, i worrybthe paper part may perish quickly but it would be easy enough to recreate.
This really seems impossible when you perform it. Let's be clear, you spectate FREELY chooses both the start and end points! Love it!
The puzzle we are all familiar with but as David has already stated, Tenyo have sprinkled some of their magic to make it REALLY impossible. I will probably be making a wooden version of the cardboard sleeve, which will hopefully incorporate some way of storing the extra pieces. Watch this space :)
This evening i assembled my little tenyo mentalism pouch. pics to follow soon :)
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:29 am

Demo video for Party Magic : Heart Splash is here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi9WCBQiGxI
Nice routine and props. It`s interesting for laymen but I believe nothing new for magicians.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:01 am

Very nice Victor! I like it!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:17 am

I`m surprise that you like it Rob :)

Ok just found the effects for 3 party magic, I haven`t found the 4th one but the effect should be clear : Ghost Lamp with D`lite.

The silk magic looks classic but really cool to see how the middle silk vanishes.
The miracle messages, I have no idea about it, seems that every spec selections will have a matching relationship.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:43 am

I am definately buying these effects. I like the silk tricks a lot too! Splash Heart is good voor romantic occasions, ghost lamp and thumptip light are good to have as a spare :) Don't know what the card effect is but it looks like it's very suitable to congratulate someone with their birthday in a very original way!
Currently on their way to Belgium are the 4 mentalism effects :D

Victor, is it OK if I put those pics on my website? You'll be credited as always of course!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:03 am

Of course David...they are not mine too :) :)