Regrets opening a Tenyo trick?

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
AlexBrazil

Regrets opening a Tenyo trick?

Post by AlexBrazil » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:27 pm

Finally, after years of planning, I bought a custom-made furniture to display my Tenyo collection. It will be fun to decide how to divide the tricks onto the shelves. I already know that some will not fit!

But I have a difficult decision to make: should I open all the tricks that are still in their original retail boxes and blisters? Of course tricks were made to play with and to show to others. But I am afraid to regret opening some tricks that have been in their original state for decades now!

The best scenario would be to have duplicates of everything: open one and leave the other unopened. But that is not a possibility.

Have you ever regreted opening a Tenyo trick?

John B.
Charter Member

Re: Regrets opening a Tenyo trick?

Post by John B. » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:08 pm

There is a limited number of sealed Tenyo out there (and typically expensive to replace for the older pieces), so you could regret opening them. If it were me, I would not open the sealed ones.

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:02 am

I think it depends on how you look at your magic collection. Is it strictly an investment that you hope to one day sell for profit or are they pieces of magic that you would like to enjoy during your lifetime?
I personally have opened every piece of my Tenyo collection but very carefully.

In my last days, I don’t want to look back on my life and say “Boy, I sure wish I would have purchased more magic tricks that I never opened and enjoyed!” 😁

Having said that, the Tenyo packaging is very artistic and displays well in and of it’s self.

Ultimately, the choice is yours but if you never plan to sell them, why not open them and enjoy them.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:24 am

Be like a child and open them. Especially if you didn’t pay too much for them.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:52 am

I opened every single Tenyo in my collection, even the extremely rare ones. I also bought spares of most items which I keep BNIP (years ago). I don't have my Tenyo's on display anymore, but if I once would place them in a cabinet again, many people will ask 'what's that' and 'can you show us that' - I know that from the past. I would even show people how some items worked - some Tenyo gimmicks are absolutely genius, some even better than the effect itself :D
But if you see it as an investment, keep them BNIP of course :)

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:16 pm

David, why don't you display and perform the Tenyo tricks anymore? Are you afraid to break them or just lack of space?

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:18 pm

Alex I would open some that are great to play with and perform and keep others sealed that are not as "magical."

I remember you bought 4D surprise from me, I don't remember if it was sealed, but if it still is, open that. It is so freaking great. That trick has skyrocketed in price recently but it will still be worth 75% of the new/unopened value if you open it carefully and take care of the trick.

If you want to run your list by us we can suggest what "needs" to be opened and how to open it with as little destruction to the packaging as possible.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:34 am

I forgot to answer your question Alex. Yes, it is a combo lack of space and time. And also I'm in a Lego phase right now :-)

GrahamMatters

Post by GrahamMatters » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:40 pm

I've always thought about opening my Floating Lady, but somehow managed to resist! I also have an unopened Alpha Tunnel and Nostrademus Clock. Their packaging is too nice to open in my opinion.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:43 pm

biggest regret: opening Japanese boxed Undercover Cube

Then getting rid of said box. Big oof
Where's my colon?!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:57 pm

I have opened all my Tenyo, don't regret any of them.

I did find a BirdWatcher for cheap that I later upsold on Ebay a long long time ago. Was one of the only Tento I never opened, kind of wish I held onto it to open it.
Where's my colon?!