New tenyo elite

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
Peter G
Charter Member

New tenyo elite

Post by Peter G » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:43 pm

And the long awaited item is ..... Zig zag cig...

http://www.tenyoelite.com/products.php

Wow

gazpratley
Charter Member

Re: New tenyo elite

Post by gazpratley » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:56 pm

oohh jesus Christ what a bloody let down!! of all the tricks they could have done...very disappointed ..oh well my money will be saved at least

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Kind of Anti Climatic.

Zig Zag Cig is a landmark Tenyo. Along with Dynamic Coins they were big hits and put Tenyo on the map in the US in the early 80's. Both seem to be not as well respected these days. Both were knocked off a lot and that does take away from a trick.

I like the aluminum bar, with the bar a lot of attention will go toward the bar.

The price of $225 does not bother me but the $25/$50 Shipping is way too much. I wonder what the fee is if you are ordering two.

And you are paying in advance, not like with Magic Wagon where you have the item in 3 days with free shipping.

But I understand that they have Royalty Fees which must be significant.

I am leaning toward getting one.

That limited nature of the item like with Magic Wagon gets us to buy quicker than usual.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:23 pm

Maybee I was a bit harsh john,but id just imagined a Tenyo item that was long out of production,the trouble is like you say zig zag cig has been knocked off n knocked off,u can find the trick in uk joke shops for about 3 quid.. I just imagined something like tunnel o darkness or black hole or something! I think geometrick could have been done outta wood as that is a cute trick also but hey ho.......

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:41 pm

Not harsh at all Gaz. I was writing my post while you were writing yours, so I didn't even see yours.

I tend to be critical of Tenyo Delete but I am trying to be fair about this release.

I was looking at it more closely and it is disappointing that the design is not inlayed wood. That would have been something to rave about.

I just read some of the posts by the three amigos (Tenyo Delete Partners) and they are gushing and patting themselves on the back as a few members kiss their asses. Of course RK has to chime in with how great the Zig Zag Cig routines in his book are, he never ceases to amaze me the stuff that he writes.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:58 pm

yes the jps 3 an Dick man ....4 big douchebags lol.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:02 pm

What a laugh.. Zip Zag cig for 225$...
We ain't stupid here are we?

And I saw Fortune Sticks also Tenyo Elite for 100$!

I have the most beautiful! From SimonC !!!
Tenyo can't beat these!
Last edited by Rob Rand on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:18 pm

most kind rob, I was quite proud of how those came out, glad you're enjoying them :)

although it seems nicely made, it's still a big disappointment for me and I think it's because if all the other tricks it could have been. if happily own one as it looks nice but not for the price. plus the ali bar is a nice idea but you hear it clanging around in there on the video so practically it may not be as great as the cig (nice touch with the signing)
I think without the months of build up this would've been a little more exciting, it certainly craps on the previous two offerings so kudos there.
I'd still love to own one tho, it does look nice.
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:38 pm

I vote for Simons Elite!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:55 pm

:D thanks rob, your cheque's in the post ;)

from the elite page
"Remarkably this gorgeous piece has been designed and built so that the wood looks seamless, with no end-grain showing on the outside of the box."

I'm being picky here but as a DT teacher I feel I should point out by making the wood have no end grain , by definition it can't be seamless. a seamless block of wood would show the grain joining from the surface to the end grain. what they mean is, we've stuck a slice of wood on the end to cover up the gimmick. which needed to be done, no questions there. I'm just being pedantic. can't imagine why..

(and any equally pedantic English teachers, feel free to lambaste my lack of capital letters and proper grammar)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:09 pm

gazpratley wrote:yes the jps 3 an Dick man ....4 big douchebags lol.
And a partridge in a pear tree. :D

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Rob Rand wrote:What a laugh.. Zip Zag cig for 225$...
We ain't stupid here are we?

I have the most beautiful! From SimonC !!!
Tenyo can't beat these!
I agree that here at Tenyo Forum International, we are discriminating consumers and not likely to say that it is great unless it truly is. This is not great.

From all the hype you would think that what they had was a 9, 10 or 11 out of 10.

I would say at best they have a 6, 7 or maybe if you stretch it an 8 but in no way is it "sick" a "masterpiece" or a "work of art."

I am 1000% sure that Simon could have made this a lot better and it would have been ready to sell in months not years. To start, with a laser etched symbol would have been much nicer than a "pad stamped" one. Pad stamping on wood sounds like a shortcut to me not an embellishment.

The fact that Tenyo kept on sending it back for improvements makes me scratch my head. I would think that with something like Zig Zag Cig you would know if it was done well enough or not before sending it for approval.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:23 am

They clearly didn't learn their lesson - they released a trick that is very well known and still extremely easy available.

I posted this one a few months ago on my website:

Looks good too and you can make it yourself for let's say ... 20 USD. It uses the original version with some wooden-like thin plastic/stif cardboard (or even wallpaper or thin wood?) pasted on it.

It's nice to have this trick in wood, but for me the biggest problem is that there are so many around. And actually, as with Fortune Sticks or Moonspinner the trick was great as it is/was.

I was really hoping for a wooden Ultra Tube or Tunnel Of Darkness, the last of the two shouldn't be THAT hard to make in wood (the tube at least) I would think, perhaps even easier then ZigZagCig.
The guys from Tenyo Elite did say Tenyo has to 'approve' the item, so who knows they were trying to push an other trick but Tenyo didn't agree.

That put aside I can't help to feel disaapointed. Sure, it will be cool to have a complete wooden version of this, let's face it, excellent trick, but it's just too expensive and again, so easy available in all sorts of formats. I for instance love the Tenyo re-release with the skeleton piece (Zig Zag Skeleton) or MB's version Severed Skeleton.
The idea with the Al bar is a good one - but I'm sure there is some cupper, brass or Al pipe available somewhere that will work evenly well with the original version.

No, I won't spend 275 USD on this one.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:28 am

JohnM wrote: To start, with a laser etched symbol would have been much nicer than a "pad stamped" one. Pad stamping on wood sounds like a shortcut to me not an embellishment.
I love their way of saying pad-stamping like it's an amazing process, it's only one stage up from a dry transfer. It's like describing a birthday card as "lovingly pencil inscribed".
Again don't get me wrong it's the right process for the job and it looks good.

Here's an exciting custom-searched pixel map of an example of pad-printing, lovingly uploaded from my personal tablet...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:03 am

guys I used my wifes f book account to leave some ,feedback on Tenyo Elite f book page,and because I didn't praise the trick and kiss the jps 3 asses my comments were removed and I was blocked from writing on the page,so I messaged p loughran telling him he cant take constructive criticism and called him a Dickhead lol...

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:37 am

I am very disappointed with Zig Zag Cigarette too but ordered one anyway because they say it has a limited run. Shipping date is estimated to be on February 15, 2014. I am assuming that they are still trying to figure out the number of units to produce based on the pre-order.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:48 am

I am disappointed as well.
Was hoping to see a revival of a long discontinued classic Tenyo from the past.
Zig Zag Cig is just way too common and there have been so many versions done already.

That being said the Zig Zag Cig does look very nice. The metal bar is a nice addition but I would have liked to some creative routine that uses the signed portion of the effect like Magic Works did on their version. I always felt that signing the cig (or stabbing the mummy) made it even more convincing.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:18 am

David DeTenyo wrote:Looks good too and you can make it yourself for let's say ... 20 USD. It uses the original version with some wooden-like thin plastic/stif cardboard (or even wallpaper or thin wood?) pasted on it.
What you are talking about David is wood veneer. You can get it in many exotic woods and finishes. It is used a lot in furniture making.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:20 am

Here is a hi-resolution picture of the trick from their Facebook page.
1492484_10151962675658964_1648042922_o.jpg

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:55 pm

Zig Zag Cig (elite of Tenyo $225) againts Zig Zag Clown of China Magic ($3.00)
Tenyo made a mistake for choosing Zig Zag Cig as thier elite item. IMHO

http://www.52magic.com/1396_Zig-Zag-Clown.html
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:00 pm

just feel so disappointed with this,dont get me wrong it does look very nice,but of all the tenyos they could have chose,this just seems like a missed opportunity to me. just my two pence....

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:00 am

I have not seen mention of there being a Tenyo trademark on the new Zig Zag Cig.

I think it would be a good idea to put a "Tenyo" mark on the trick somewhere.

What Tenyo Delete can claim that no one else can is that they are making an authorized Tenyo magic trick.

I think all Tenyo collectors would appreciate a Tenyo mark.

Not marking it IMO would be a big oversight.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:29 pm

I think before you buy this look closely at the terrible craftsmanship.
Probably the best one they made is shown in their picture.

Look inside the holes that don't line up with the inside part.
Didn't make nice squared corners or smooth edges inside.
Reeks of how it works at a glance.

Ink stamping shows it will fade and wear off in no time..
Veneered end caps will probably peal off in less than a year if used.

And the worst is the fitting of the sliding middle piece looking at it from the side. :shock:

I can't say I am disappointed, I expected they would fail making quality wood products.

I seen better quality coming from 1960's japan sweat shops with coin slide cases.

I give it a 2 out of 10 stars. 10 being the best. ;)

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8073/sqj6.jpg

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:51 pm

The people who have ordered this must all have been hypnotized...

For 275 $ you have a great Magic Wagon that's made 100% perfect!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:17 pm

If you look at it with X-Ray Specs it might look ok. :?

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"