Marvins Magic Tunnel of Darkness.

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
gazpratley
Charter Member

Marvins Magic Tunnel of Darkness.

Post by gazpratley » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi guys heading my way very soon is a brand new Marvins Magic Tunnel of Darkness it is called mysterious keyring,i think Tenyo authorised this or made it for them [marvins] I just wondered if anyone can shed any light on this? also is it rare, I didn't know it existed.. gaz

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Marvins Magic Tunnel of Darkness.

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:02 pm

Well, I don't see any difference with the original TOD... Sold for a resaonable prize!

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:08 pm

yes I missed out but was offered a second chance,i think it is the same as tenyo version,but the box is cool,i think the instructions are Henning and j steinmeyer credited.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:48 pm

I've never seen a Marvin's Magic TOD before but I have the Marvin's Magic Wonder Window. It came in a similar box to the Tunnel of Darkness.
The instructions it came with are different than both the Tenyo and Doug Henning's instructions. It was rewritten for the Marvin's Magic version for some reason.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:53 pm

quite an interesting topic, I wonder how many tricks Tenyo let marvins have all in all and how the Deal came about??

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:00 pm

Two others that I know of are Invisible Zone (The Marvin's Magic version is red instead of blue) and Dynamic Coins. Although I am not completely sure that the MM version is manufactured by Tenyo.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:52 pm

I have the Marvin's Magic Dynamic Coins. It was the first magic trick I bought as an adult. I got it when I saw it demonstrated at Harrods when I was in London in the mid 1990's. I never knew about Tenyo or that it was a Tenyo effect until about 10 years later when I bought Crystal Cleaver at a shop outside of the Lance Burton Magic Show in Vegas. That's when I found out what Tenyo was.

I also have the red Invisible Zone. It was a gift from a friend that they bought for me when they were traveling.

Marvin's used to sell what was called the Executive Magic set which had some nice pieces in a black case. It included Soft Coins.

I have never seen a TOD or Wonder Window. Maybe they bought stock from the failed Doug Henning project.

From what I remember, I think that Marvin's illegally made some of the Tenyo products without permission. I am not sure where I read that.

This might be another question for RK and the Big Book of Tenyo.

I don't think the Marvin's versions are worth more. Maybe the same in the case of TOD or WW, probably less in the case of the other tricks mentioned.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:36 pm

I think Marvin's did license at least some of the Tenyo items because I learned of Tenyo from Marvin's Magic. I don't remember if it was in the instructions or video but I believe they mentioned Tenyo and that's when I looked up to see what Tenyo was and went off the deep end ;)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:14 am

Marvin's Magic was for me too my firts encounter with magic! I bought some items at Hamley's and at the stand at Covent Garden. Dynamic Coins and the Marvin's Executive collection-trunk with the nice red lining in the box were among my first purchases.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:50 am

The Covent garden stand was the first place I saw a magic stand too, I love how many people have memories of it. It's where I got my first dynamic coins. I had a marked deck sold on that stall for a while, I was really proud to be a part of it. When we have our first forum meeting in London we can all bombard it (and I'll show you all Davenports, it's hidden under a tube station...)
Now you see me...