Collector`s behaviour ?

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
VictorS

Collector`s behaviour ?

Post by VictorS » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:04 am

Hi guys,

Just pop up in my mind : it`s always an exciting moment to receive and collect a brand new Tenyo product/s (could be old or new version) to complete our collection and i assume every collectors have their own behavior on how they handle their new collection at the very first moment.

I came up with some options of types as follows :

a.Brutal type: I`m happy like crazy and tear up the box/packaging and play with the trick.

b.Gentle and critical or could be hypercritical type: I look at the packaging back and forth, read all the text and think twice or more, what is the best way to open the packaging (especially blister packaging)

c.Strange type : For some reason, I never open it and never play with it and store it to my magic cabinet for collection only (although I never know how the tricks work, just know the effect from you tube or effect some description, never enjoy the trick by myself, just love to see the trick in the cabinet) > I`m not sure if this type ever exist :)

d.Investor/maniac type: I buy every Tenyo double or more so I can do what I want to do for my collection and fun.

e.General type : I buy 1 trick, I open,I play and enjoy it and I store for collection.

f.Other type : please specify : ________________________

Just another fun for this forum and to know each other more closer. Very sorry for any misunderstanding and don`t take it so seriously guys. Thanks and have a great day !

Victor
Tenyo collector type b and e

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Collector`s behaviour ?

Post by SimonC » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:23 am

I used to be a hard a. Then I grew into a soft b. All of my tenyo are performers (lovingly displayed) but since joining the forum I've begun keeping all my packaging. Especially any of the pre-90s packaging. As a graphics nerd I love to study them.
Si
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:10 am

I was a, and became a mix of type b and d :)
I do not buy new items double, I will buy doubles once they become discontinued however (recently Confined Cubes, Mobile Illusion, ...) :P I try to have doubles of all older discontinued items too.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:39 am

I guess I am a "D"

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:44 am

Interesting....thanks for the honest feedback guys.....hope more feedback will still come...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:10 am

I am the E type. I am interested in Magic principles and refuse to classify myself as a collector, although I own already 100 Tenyo tricks.

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:16 am

I usually do not open an item if it is from before the 90's and BNIP. I'd rather wait and buy an opened one. Somehow to me it feels like destroying something. There is only a certain number of unopened ones in the whole world and if I open it it is one less. Sometimes it is very tempting to open it and it is very hard to resist the temptation. :)
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:26 am

I guess I am 'e' as well.
I have to open the tricks to see how they work. I open it, give it a couple of tries and then store it away.
I'll buy doubles once in a while if I get a good deal or if I feel a certain trick is prone to breaking.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 am

I started as an "a". To me Tenyo were mostly toys but I buy the tricks that I cannot solve based on their descriptions. I also buy tricks that I can use in my shows. The thought of collecting Tenyo never came into my mind then.

Then I became a collector, the "b" type.

When my collection was about 80 pieces, I starded to become a hoarder. I buy every Tenyo piece that I can afford. Some of it at unreasonable prices. I tricks that I am using or playing with comprises only 5% of my collection. About 60% of my Tenyo pieces are in storage boxes. Thirty-five percent are in my display cabinet.

Now I am type "b" again. I have learned my lesson. Collecting Tenyo will drain you financially if you are an impulse buyer. Patience is the key in collecting Tenyo. When it comes to auctions, the want for instant gratification will make us suffer financially.

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:06 pm

i guess i am in ''TYPE C'' i do not have much of Tenyo items yet but when i bought it BNIP i control myself not to open so i just stock them on my storage cabinet and i even keep the shipping boxes (craziness) :lol:

so i only play the used/opened one that i bought. some of my Tenyo items that are in sealed package i still don't know how they work yet. :lol:

hi Victor :!: Strange type still exist i'm telling you :)
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Jaime C. wrote:i guess i am in ''TYPE C'' i do not have much of Tenyo items yet but when i bought it BNIP i control myself not to open so i just stock them on my storage cabinet and i even keep the shipping boxes (craziness) :lol:

so i only play the used/opened one that i bought. some of my Tenyo items that are in sealed package i still don't know how they work yet. :lol:

hi Victor :!: Strange type still exist i'm telling you :)
Hi Jamie,

Thanks a lot for your honesty, I highly appreciate that ;)
Well...what I want to say is : the life is so beautiful but unfortunately too short, so if we still have chance to enjoy.....let`s do it....before it`s too late. You deserve that Jamie ;)

Wish you a great day :)

Victor

Jaime C.
Charter Member

Post by Jaime C. » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:04 am

hi Victor - at the moment i'm still enjoying to see some of my Tenyo items in sealed package. Maybe you can lend me some of your opened one :lol:
don't CHASE your dreams...rather COOK them...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:42 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for current interesting feedback from all of you. As you can see that every collectors are unique. Since I have seen many of type "b" collectors and packaging will give the impact on the product value, there is something that I want to share based on my experience.

From my point of view, the best way to open the box packaging is from the bottom instead from the top by tearing the flap area. With this method, we can have the packaging ALMOST like the new condition, although not 100%.

Fig. 1 :Take a sharp cutter and go to the bottom flap which showing opening flap at the left and the right sides. Cut the layer (the glued area) carefully and gently until you get the flap open (Fig.2) Repeat the same process with another glued flap.

Fig. 3 & 4 : opening the box from the bottom part (without damaging/tearing the top flap).

Fig.5 : Fold back the box into this position in order to close the box. If we close this back to the original position, the box will be locked naturally. We don`t need to worry about the content falling out from the box. We can add rubber band to secure everything.

So this will be my one of the thinking process and hope this helps guys.

Have fun and wish us a great day !
Victor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:01 am

Thanks for the advice Victor!

Anyone want to give advice on how to open blister packed Tenyo for best package condition?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:34 am

kellebotond wrote:Thanks for the advice Victor!

Anyone want to give advice on how to open blister packed Tenyo for best package condition?
Hi Kellebotond,

We had already such discussion before, maybe you missed it :
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=85

But I still look for another option of best possible way. The blister packaging is the most challenging one for me, it`s still like a puzzle for me to solve it.

:)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:42 pm

this was the best night in I've had for a while.
I dont get out much these days ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:58 pm

You don't dare to open it Simon??????

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Thanks Victor! Yes, I missed that discussion.

"like a vaginal birth" lol

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 pm

oh I opened it alright :)
Now you see me...

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Congrats Simon! Glad you finally got this one!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:46 am

SimonC wrote:this was the best night in I've had for a while.
I dont get out much these days ;)
Oooh Simon, seems that I missed the fun. Since you are now becoming collector type b, I`m just curious how the packaging of the Mystery China Box looks like after the "surgery" process :D

Wait...wait...wait....looking at your magic cabinet, you have already one MCB opened. You must be kidding to open the other BNIP right ? HAH....!!!

Victor

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:03 pm

no it's a pic from last week, it now sits, proudly opened in my cabinet :)
Now you see me...