Prison Box

Here you can discuss Collecting Tenyo. Packaging, Variations, Rare Items, etc.
David (Felderswynne)

Prison Box

Post by David (Felderswynne) » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:34 am

I really am stumped by this effect. Does anyone know why Tenyo discontinued, what is in my opinion, an undisputed classic? It seems many of the sought after effects have become discontinued. Another rare effect, 'Eyes of the Idol' has peculiar humor to it and I cannot think of another similar type trick; the choice to use the Easter Island statues was brilliant.
"The mystery becomes greater as the box becomes smaller"

magickeith

Re: Prison Box

Post by magickeith » Sat May 03, 2014 1:38 pm

No sure where to post this question, What price should i ask for a new prison box and a new mobile illusion, new Mystery of the high hat.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: Prison Box

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat May 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Tenyo discontinues tricks for several reasons. From what I know (or THINK I know ;) ):
- less sales in Japan. Don't ever forget we are just NOT Tenyo's main customers! Japanese laymen are. And magic is only a small percentage of their income. They mainly focus on puzzles.
- production costs become too high (for example because molds get worn out - making a new mold seems to be pretty expensive) which would mean they should ask more money for a specific trick. They prefer to sell their tricks cheap in Japan, again because their main customer base is laymen, not magicians! They sell their goods in department stores, toy stores and at Tokyo airport.

Estimated prices:
- Mobile Illusion - 75 USD - 100 USD
- Prison Box - 115 USD - 140 USD
- Mystery Of The High Hat - 125 USD - 175 USD

I'd like to have a BNIP Mystery Of The High Hat, but I would only pay 100 USD - so in all honesty you can better put it on Ebay ;) If you like to sell it right away for 100 USD, I'm your man - pm me 8-)