Tenyo knock-offs

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
RonP

Tenyo knock-offs

Post by RonP » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:08 pm

There seem to be many copies of Tenyo items floating around on various magic online order websites. They all seem to be made in China(?). There is also an Italian seller who has a lot of items, including crystal cleaver, which are very inexpensive copies of Tenyo items. I assume the quality of these items is poor (?). Does anyone know more about this? Is Tenyo going after the copy companies? Are magic suppliers allowed to sell this kind of merchandise? Are Tenyo magic products not subject to copyright???
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." Joseph Dunninger (1892-1975)

VictorS

Re: Tenyo knock-offs

Post by VictorS » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:55 pm

Hi Ron,

Our John M came up with a very good definition of knock off and counterfeit as you can read here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1102&p=12607&hilit ... eit#p12607

We had some discussion abour counterfeit/knock off Tenyo as you can read here :
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=724&hilit=counterfeit

Maybe this can help to answer some of your questions ;)

For me the high quality plastic of Tenyo is not comparable with the other knock offs/ counterfeits, and also the precise work for props with mechanical works. But some of the rare counterfeit tenyo like Mystery of high hat could be a good option if you want to perform it more often and get it for a very cheap price and at the other side the genuine one is not an easy item to obtain nowadays.

;)
Vic

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:06 am

If you have a knock-off mystery of High Hat I have a great add-on to enhance it called 'mystery rabbit'.
you can see it here..

http://youtu.be/qbjZn5tZfAI

I have one left if you are interested, drop me a PM :)
Now you see me...

RonP

Post by RonP » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks guys. I cannot view the definition of counterfeit/knockoffs yet unfortunately. Personally, I do not support counterfeit/knockoff Tenyo tricks.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." Joseph Dunninger (1892-1975)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:01 pm

RonP wrote:Thanks guys. I cannot view the definition of counterfeit/knockoffs yet unfortunately. Personally, I do not support counterfeit/knockoff Tenyo tricks.
Ups sorry Ron. Here is some additional info for you.

JohnM:
A counterfeit version of a Tenyo is way worse than a knock off version. What is the difference you may ask. A counterfeit version is one where the counterfeiter goes to the trouble to make the item seem exactly like the original by using the same packaging and even Tenyo trademarks. A knockoff is a copy of the original but does not represent itself as the original (example: the Chinese knock-off of Fortune Sticks called Cartoon Sticks).

David De Tenyo's site, Tenyo.be, has somevaluable information regarding Tenyo counterfeits and knock-offs (scroll down a bit to see the info).
http://www.tenyo.be/indexpast.html

RonP

Post by RonP » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks Victor! Very useful!