How do you store battery operated Tenyos ?

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
VictorS

How do you store battery operated Tenyos ?

Post by VictorS » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:52 am

Hi guys,

As we know already that Tenyo released already their products which operated with batteries like Phantom Clock, Mind scanner, the newer version like Third Eye and Ghost Lamp. How will be the best way to store it especially if we rarely perform it ? Should we take out the battery from the prop or just let it stay in the prop ? Based on my previous experience, some type of batteries like the AA or Mignon battery will lose the energy could be reacted badly if we don`t use it (sorry I didn`t know the chemical reaction name for this case) but hope you get my point. The cell battery could be more secure I assumed but maybe can give other impact too.

Thanks in advance for sharing guys !

Cheers,
Vic

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: How do you store battery operated Tenyos ?

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:17 pm

I leave mine in apart from the traditional batteries, like in Mindscanner, those I store loose.
However, from a chemical point of view, it is safer NOT to store the batteries in the devices, even the 'new kind' cell batteries. Batteries are most likely to begin leaking when they are out of power, so it's pretty safe to leave them in if the device/battery still works.
By the way, and most of you will probably already know this, but the warmer the battery gets, the more likely it is going to leak. So always stor devices with batteries or loose batteries in a cool place.

In any case you've given me something to think about Victor :)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:33 pm

I knew that you will answer my question Mr. Chemical Expert :) Thanks David ! It will be complicated to prepare if we want to perform it but I choose to safe the device ;)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:05 am

You know Victor, I've just talked with a collegue here at school and I'm definately going to remove all batteries from all magic tricks this afternoon - better safe then sorry!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:44 am

David DeTenyo wrote:You know Victor, I've just talked with a collegue here at school and I'm definately going to remove all batteries from all magic tricks this afternoon - better safe then sorry!
God bless you David !! :D
This is one point that I`m not so in love with electronic magic trick, too many maintenance of batteries. I love mechanical works rather then electronic one.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Any toy collector will tell you to never ever leave batteries in a toy. Ever. The work of a few seconds in taking them out could save you a lot of grief later on.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:54 pm

I replaced my batteries and guess what ... one of the two AA batteries in my MB Magic Works Secret of the Sphinx was leaking :o !

I took it out and cleaned the litle spring. I don't have any replacements so kudos it still works :|

I'm going to write a litle article on my website about this. if you guys are OK I might quote you. Are you OK with that?

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:31 pm

No problem here.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Of course David....we need to safe more props out there :)

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:00 am

David DeTenyo wrote:I replaced my batteries and guess what ... one of the two AA batteries in my MB Magic Works Secret of the Sphinx was leaking :o !
I had that happen with my Mindscanner. Used once or twice and put it away. Next time I take it out the batteries leaked all over the contacts. Basically what John describes on his repair page.
Since then I have tried to remember to always take the batteries out but I have not been doing this with tricks that use the smaller batteries like Mystery Poodle and Third Eye. Never really thought that those types of batteries leak but I guess I should reconsider.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:14 am

Darn, forgot about Mystery Poodle! Will take them out today. And no, these kind of batteries will normally not leak, but you never know. After years, perhaps in a trunk with high temperature, they could. Better safe then sorry ;)