Dragon altar/metal matrimony

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
RonP

Dragon altar/metal matrimony

Post by RonP » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:51 pm

I don`t know what you think (well that is why I ask) but the two very similar "gimmicks" in dragon altar and metal matrimony seem to be very hard to make them work correctly (surely not 100%). Dragon altar is worse than metal matrimony and I like the ending in metal matrimony which is easy to work and a nice effect in itself. But even in metal matrimony the "gimmick" does not always "catch", which is a pitty, both tricks look nice and when they work are amazing. What is your experience? Cheers!
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." Joseph Dunninger (1892-1975)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Dragon altar/metal matrimony

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:30 pm

Dragon altar is getting the "knack" and then it's no problem to perform.
With Metal matrimony I actually never had a problem, it should work 100%, but maybe it depends of if you have a brand new one or a heavily used one. I had a new one and it never lead to poblems.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:18 pm

I think it`s about feeling and practice Ron. I had a same problem too with both of the props at the first time I got them.

Dragon Altar :
The positioning of the tube is important in order to get a perfect tilt and I try to push forward the tube until the ball reach the "position" and makes a "penetration" sound. And don`t forget to "get ready" the tube before you do the magic ;)

Metal Matrimony:
I fell in love with this trick at the 1st time I saw it. Although the performer failed and exposed the secret, I still bought it. But it is something very2 unique especially the lens used for the effect. The way the coins merged is so amazing and the way that the lid opens automatically at the end looks very elegant. :)
Back to the technical problem :
I never push the "secret" platform on the stand so hard until it really fix on the position. So I would say the "secret" platform" is only touching / partially touch the stand. The positioning of the tube is also important to "flip" the platform. Because the platform only touch the stand, it requires less power to push and flip the whole thing.

Hope this helps Ron and I hope you get my point. And I hope that I`m not exposing the secret by explaining this. Or maybe John, Simon or David can move this discussion on the member`s only section.

Cheers,
Vic

RonP

Post by RonP » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:36 am

Thanks for all the good feedback guys. Dragon altar is more a piece for my showcase, metal matrimony a trick I would like to perform more. Need to practice for sure. Many thanks for the good suggestions! Cheers!!! :)
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not believe, no explanation will suffice." Joseph Dunninger (1892-1975)

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:33 am

VictorS wrote:I think it`s about feeling and practice Ron. I had a same problem too with both of the props at the first time I got them.

Dragon Altar :
The positioning of the tube is important in order to get a perfect tilt and I try to push forward the tube until the ball reach the "position" and makes a "penetration" sound. And don`t forget to "get ready" the tube before you do the magic ;)

Metal Matrimony:
I fell in love with this trick at the 1st time I saw it. Although the performer failed and exposed the secret, I still bought it. But it is something very2 unique especially the lens used for the effect. The way the coins merged is so amazing and the way that the lid opens automatically at the end looks very elegant. :)
Back to the technical problem :
I never push the "secret" platform on the stand so hard until it really fix on the position. So I would say the "secret" platform" is only touching / partially touch the stand. The positioning of the tube is also important to "flip" the platform. Because the platform only touch the stand, it requires less power to push and flip the whole thing.

Hope this helps Ron and I hope you get my point. And I hope that I`m not exposing the secret by explaining this. Or maybe John, Simon or David can move this discussion on the member`s only section.

Cheers,
Vic
===========================================================
Very nice tips Victor ... thank you very much.
and now, on with the show ...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:17 am

I'm 100% with MM, but for sure cannot same the same for DA

AlexBrazil

Post by AlexBrazil » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:02 am

I received my Dragon Altar yesterday. I just loved the mechanism!

It seems that you need some tilting when you lift the red box, so the lid fits the box perfectly.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:13 pm

The "COIN" for my "Dragon Altar" has gone missing.

As I recall, it was a Japanese 5 yen coin. (with hole)

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:50 pm

The japanese instructions say to use a 50 yen coin.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:46 am

For those who don't have coins with holes, in Europe we use 'aging coins' to verify you are 18 or older and want to buy a pack of cigarettes in a cigarette machine (yes, there are machines that sell cigarettes ;) ). But you first need to ask the owner of the machine, often someone from the cafe or restaurant where the machine is located, for a coin (he verifies your age), otherwise the machine won't work. These coins tend to work great, and are more 'common looking' then using a Japanese coin of course. Best is these coins are free. Just ask a bunch in a cafe or restaurant.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:27 am

Ah, 50 yen ... Thank you Elliot.

Aging coins? Cool ... sounds like those would be very old & tired coins.
Thanks David

PS. I JUST Googled "European Aging Coins" and got a ton of "Medieval Coin" responses!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:14 am

These are the coins I'm referring too :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:20 am

Thanks David! I discovered I have 1 of these coins, given to me by an ex-colleague :)

I also have the original yen coin.

I compared both, and must say that the Japanese yen coin works better. The reason: it is much thinner than the AGE coin.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:34 pm

INTERESTING DETAILS OF THE 50 YEN COIN

The first 50 yen coin was issued in 1955 and featured a chrysanthemum viewed from the side on the reverse and a stylized ancient weight on the obverse. The coin had a diameter of 25 mm, and was 100% nickel.

In 1959, the design was modified, adding a hole in the center due to complaints that the design was confusing with the 100 yen coin, and changing the reverse side to show a chrysanthemum viewed from above. The metallurgy remained unchanged. This design was issued every year from 1959 to 1966.

The current design for the 50 Yen coin was first issued in 1967. The metallurgy was changed to a ratio of 75-25 copper-nickel, with the diameter of the coin reduced to 21 mm, and the weight reduced from 5.0 grams to 4.0 grams. The size of the center hole was reduced from 6 mm in diameter to 4 mm. The reverse side retained the use of a chrysanthemum motif, showing three smaller flowers flanking the center hole.
===================================================================================

After finding this, I am guessing that the BEST 50 Yen coin would the the 2nd version with the reduced diameter. (Dragon Altar was released AFTER 1967, so the then current 50 Yen coin was probably used)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:19 am

Thanks for the info guys.

Rob, you are correct - with Dragon Altar the Age coin doesn't work near as good as the Yen coin.