Floating Broom: any thoughts?

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Brett H

Floating Broom: any thoughts?

Post by Brett H » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:13 pm

I've been looking around for some Tenyo that can be carried in a pocket and are best suited for 1-on-1. And today, I came across 'Floating Broom'.
Because it was a Japanese-only release, I'd imagine it to be a bit tough to find someone with translated instructions; having that be a bit of deterrent.

However, I cannot come up with anything that has a review for the darn thing

For those who have it and have used it, is it worth acquiring? Any word of caution?
Where's my colon?!

VictorS

Re: Floating Broom: any thoughts?

Post by VictorS » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:40 pm

I don`t have the Tenyo version but the floating match version but I plan to have one. Both have the same principle I guess. No doubt,it is one of the best, impressive and practical walk around close up levitation ever made. Ben Harris was the clever guy behind it. I`m not a fan of the IT work but exception for this one. Everything is already setup in the gimmick card and ready to go and perform. No preparation required.The other good thing for the Tenyo version is the broom. I really love the design and it can create another witch story for the routine. And the best part : you can pass the ring through the broom or match to convince the spec. Weakness : lighting, this is problem for every thread effect and also the angle, the best angle to see is from above. As long the pics are clear displayed in the instruction, it is not really necessary to get the translated one.

Hope this helps ;)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:46 am

I have one, bought it quite some time ago. I don't have anything to add then what Victor said actually - it's a great little pocket trick, and the broom makes it something special :) If you can buy one for a reasonable price, go for it. If it's too expensive, buy the 'match' version you can buy everywhere cheap, and search for a little toy broom perhaps - but it has to be exactly as the one in the Tenyo version, or it won't work fluently I think.
By the way, the main problem with these tricks is the invisible thread wears out after a lot of use. Tenyo provides you with an extra card if remember correctly, but it's nice to have some spares.
You can also make your own gimmicked cards, which is a bit of a hassle to do (I haven't made them yet). I bought the original Harris version a few years ago and there's a detailed explanation on how to build the gimmick. Should someone who has the trick is interested let me know and I'll scan it. By the way, the original version came with gimmicked Bicycle cards and not 'bee-like' cards, which work well too, although the bee-cards camouflage the IT a bit better in my opinion.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:37 am

great little trick this, I own the tenyo mickey mouse version of it.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:42 am

I am like Victor NO lover of IT tricks, I always lose these invisible threads because they are ... invisible :)
But indeed tho one is an exception, I have a cheap version which is well made but still it I not my favorite trick. I am more a magnet man :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:32 am

I have to agree with rob, I prefer magnets. they're the closest thing to real magic, they can make things move, float even change colour :) look at EOTI the first time I tried that out my face lit up :)
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Crap! Nooooo! I was hoping it was a magnet trick, I don't have reliably steady hands for a string trick. Well, Ghost Pet and Rising Card are out as well.

I appreciate the fast input! And the prevention of a misspent investment!
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Brett, I think you're not familiar with this trick. All I can say is: buy a cheap version, seriously. You'll love it, and you can't go wrong for 2,99 USD ;) You don't need steady hands - can you take a card and put it in your flat outstreched hand, and bend it? Buy it. If your hands 'woggle', you just say that it takes a lot of concentration to lift the match (or broom for that matter) :)
You know what? I know what you do with your magic. If you don't like it, or can't use it, I'll pay for it, seriously.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:18 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:Brett, I think you're not familiar with this trick. All I can say is: buy a cheap version, seriously. You'll love it, and you can't go wrong for 2,99 USD ;) You don't need steady hands - can you take a card and put it in your flat outstreched hand, and bend it? Buy it. If your hands 'woggle', you just say that it takes a lot of concentration to lift the match (or broom for that matter) :)
You know what? I know what you do with your magic. If you don't like it, or can't use it, I'll pay for it, seriously.
I will admit, I haven't delved anywhere near tricks that require string. My first thought is, 'crap! I'll flash!' I was worried that my twitchy hands would move it in a way that would case the string to be seen.

Sounds like I should get acquainted with those effects--especially after your recommendation. Sounds like a little practice and I can't go wrong with it
Where's my colon?!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:49 pm

Bret really: Avoid all IT tricks. But the card with the broomstick or whatever a matchstick is very reliable. All IT are firmly attached to the card.
But for the rest I agree with you. I don't only dislike IT tricks, I also dislike performances with IT.
To be honest I always hated the floating ball. :(

I once bought as a cups and balls lover the Cupwow. It was for me more the Cupsuckforever trick.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:58 pm

Brett H wrote: Sounds like a little practice and I can't go wrong with it
No, no practice needed with the Floating Match/Broom. Put card on hand, put matchstick on it, bend it, et voila! ;)

But like Rob said, other IT tricks, keep away from them - LOTS of practice needed :)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:30 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:
Brett H wrote: Sounds like a little practice and I can't go wrong with it
No, no practice needed with the Floating Match/Broom. Put card on hand, put matchstick on it, bend it, et voila! ;)

But like Rob said, other IT tricks, keep away from them - LOTS of practice needed :)
Wow, that's amazing. Especially for a string trick.

My question would be, in order to protect the cards, can they fit inside of a card box?

I have this annoying thought in my head that they are slightly larger than normal standard Bicycle cards.

And thanks again for the help, David!
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:14 am

Nope, they are regular size Brett, fits inside a card box with your other cards. Force the 'special' card (if you feel the need to) and you're ready to go :)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:53 am

David DeTenyo wrote:Tenyo provides you with an extra card if remember correctly
Yes the Tenyo version comes with two cards, the plastic broom and a small metal ring.

As always, Tenyo kicked it up a notch.

My thoughts were that the bending of the card made it obvious so I sold the opened one and kept a sealed one for my collection.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:11 pm

JohnM wrote:
My thoughts were that the bending of the card made it obvious so I sold the opened one and kept a sealed one for my collection.
I saw the sold one in your sell section! So many treasures that make me with I got into Tenyo much, much sooner
Where's my colon?!