Best and worst Tenyo to perform with

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Brett H

Best and worst Tenyo to perform with

Post by Brett H » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:11 am

We all have favorite Tenyo. This one is SLIGHTLY different. I'm not asking what your favorite Tenyo and least favorite of all time is. I'm asking what is your favorite and least favorite Tenyo to PERFORM. It could also be your favorite in general as well. But I am curious as to what your favorite and least favorite performance pieces are.

For me, my favorite performance Tenyo is a toss up between 'Magical Sneakers' (Color Test) and 'Super Cubio'.

Color Test gets excellent reactions--especially since the whole thing can happen in their hands. I have a routine set in which they are helping me find a matching pair of my kids mixed up shoes. Magic that happens in their hands is nothing short of amazing.

'Super Cubio' I use with kids as a way to determine if they are magicians by making the cube stop. I can't make the cube stop, but they can. Of all the Tenyo I have shown off to the twins and relatives. It gets some of the best reactions. Even better that it's REALLY hard to call out the gimmick, so everyone is more inclined to enjoy the performance.

As far as the worst. I'm sure that there are some in which we perform once and call it a day. For me, I tirelessly tried 'Magicians Clock' and it didn't live up to the ridiculously high expectation I had it set to. It's a neat trick, but by far THE MOST stressful Tenyo I have had the chance to work with. No matter how hard I worked on the routine, I just couldn't enjoy the damn thing.

So what say you? Your favorite and least favorite performance pieces.
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: Best and worst Tenyo to perform with

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:18 am

Favorite: Grand Derby Predicition.
Least favorite (which I actually once performed; there are several Tenyo's I have never performed yet due to several reasons, one being 'too difficult' or 'no time to practice'): Card Surgery - such a pain in the *ss to set up, and I just can't perform it as smooth as on several video demo's ... .

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:13 am

hmm, grand Derby prediction, I need to take another look at that one. I always forget how to perform it!
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:25 pm

SimonC wrote:hmm, grand Derby prediction, I need to take another look at that one. I always forget how to perform it!
Haha you're not the only one! But I managed to 'draw' it with a few 'hints/words' on a little piece of paper, which I always quickly take look at before performing :lol:

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:53 pm

good shout, I'm going to take a look at that tonight :)
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:35 pm

I actually have quite a few of these small 'hint' cards I store with the tricks, never bigger than the size of a playing card. For example 'the 2 numbers' in Bird Watcher and what side was 'back' and 'front', how to 'spread' and 'show/reveal' the cards at the end of an Out Of This World card routine and so on ... .

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:21 pm

best tenyo 2 perform for me would be crystal cleaver,its examinable,repeatable and it drops the spectators jaw every time! my worst to perfom would have to be invisible zone as for me I find it very angle sensitive,maybe I just cant peform it convincingly!

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:23 pm

ooh and Lancelot due to the fact you cant just shut the lid down and you have to be all sneaky if you know what I mean! again prob just me not being very convincing.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:13 pm

ok I'm now totally sold on GDP again, I'm taking it into work tomorrow. the best thing is it's so clean! magic painting is one of my favourites but I'm always a little nervous performing it (especially at the end) but this is literally 8 cards. nice :)
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:25 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:Favorite: Grand Derby Predicition.
GDP is a great trick but unfortunately I`m too old for this trick. I need a reading glasses to perform this :(

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:17 am

I hear you Victor - the markings are pretty difficult to read from a distance. But since no one is seeing them or has a cleu they are there, there is no problem as a performer really 'bending' over the cards as you lay them down while everyone is writing their prediction. But still, they are not easy to read indeed.
I also think the original blue cards were easier to read than the newer green ones. but that could just be me.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:13 am

David DeTenyo wrote:I hear you Victor - the markings are pretty difficult to read from a distance. But since no one is seeing them or has a cleu they are there, there is no problem as a performer really 'bending' over the cards as you lay them down while everyone is writing their prediction. But still, they are not easy to read indeed.
I also think the original blue cards were easier to read than the newer green ones. but that could just be me.
Thanks for the tips David. The next solution I came up with that I remade it as jumbo version. I helps a lot :)