Tenyo Coin Coaster Prototype

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
kellebotond
Charter Member

Tenyo Coin Coaster Prototype

Post by kellebotond » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:06 pm

Hello Guys,

I thought this might be interesting to some of you, I saw this on Facebook:

Brad Toulouse is making a reproduction of Coin Coaster. (I have attached some of his pictures).
https://www.facebook.com/brad.toulouse

I suggested him to join the forum (I think he is not a member yet).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kellebotond on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

kellebotond
Charter Member

Re: Tenyo Coin Coaster Prototype

Post by kellebotond » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:13 pm

I think the year of the date stamp is not set correctly at his camera.

I have collected his updates about the project here:

"T-44
Tenyo's Magic Coaster
A bar coaster which magically produces not one but two coins while an inverted glass is placed upon it.
No one really know for sure if this trick was ever released by Tenyo. There are two known pictures of it in existence. Both of the pictures, as well as a detailed description of the workings can be found in Richard Kaufman's new book Tenyoism.
My goal is to make a reproduction of one. Purchased 50 bar mats from Amazon. Started designing the bar mat based on the photos. transferring the design little by little to my template is going to be a challange!
This is going to take awhile. However to own basically an "un-ownable" Tenyo effect, even if it is a reproduction will be a terrific addition to my collection."

"The Tenyo Coin Coaster T-44 is slowly progressing. As I am not an artist, and must redesign the coaster from basically only two existing photos, the work is, suffice to say, painstaking. I'm in no hurry...."

"So I decided tonight to switch gears and actually work on the construction of the Tenyo T-44 Coin Coaster rather than the artwork.
The coaster will hold two coins, US half dollar size. In order to allow room for the coins to slide freely, I will make the slide part two beer mats thick, and the whole coaster will be four beer mats thick."

"Spent some time this morning taking a crack at the gimmick opening. I made a prototype just to see how it would work. The effect says to use dental dam to create the hinge. I thought I'd try cutting a balloon into a sheet and use a piece of it! Seems to work fine on a basic level, but getting the right tension could be tricky....not impossible though. The actual coaster design is either a green or purple design (depending on which picture you look at) and I can see how the dark color definitely aids in masking the trap!"

"s you know I've been making up a replica of the impossible to find T-44 Tenyo Coin Coaster. I've used artwork taken from Richard Kaufman's book Tenyoism.
The artwork is about finished. For only having two existing photos to work from, I's say it looks pretty damned good!!
I have two options now:
1) To have the artwork printed on paper, glued onto a beer mat and then gimmicked.
2) To have beer mats custom printed with my artwork.
The second option will lead to a more authentic recreation of the effect, and it is the option I am leaning toward. Problem is that to get 100 beer mats printed will probably cost me about 120 USD. Unless I can get some sort of permission from Tenyo to sell these as a "Tenyo Reproduction" I will be absorbing a big cost just to have this effect (as well as a handful of other Tenyo enthusiasts I was planning on making one for!!!)
What to do.....what to do????"

"Spent some time gluing the design to a coaster this morning. Now working on cutting around the centre to create the "trap". I have some thoughts on how to do this optimally; I've put my feelers out to the Tenyo elders more wise than !. Once they get back to me I will proceed!"

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:56 am

Wow, how nice is this! Thanks for sharing this with us Botond :) I don't use Facebook so I'm glad once in a while someone gives us an update regarding stuff that has to do with Tenyo.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Have there been any recent developments in the Coin Coaster replicas? It was all the rage at one point and then it faded off quickly. I hope it's still a thing.
Where's my colon?!

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:11 am

I think I saw a video of the working prototype at facebook but I can't seem to find it right now.

Brad, can you post the video here as well?