Tricks for the boy

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
SimonC
Global Moderator

Tricks for the boy

Post by SimonC » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Evening all, as the mystic Ruby grows (he's nearly three already!) so does his interest in magic. I'm thinking illusion truck might actually be a good one for me to show him, is there anywhere online that still sells them or is my best hope eBay?
has anyone else performed any tenyo for toddlers? I'd be interested to know which ones go down well :)
Now you see me...

kellebotond
Charter Member

Re: Tricks for the boy

Post by kellebotond » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Hello Simon,

According to my experience kids can fully understand the concept of magic at around the age of 4. Because in order to understand it they need to know 2 things:
- they need to know what an impossible event is (sometimes if a 2 or 3 year old sees a magic trick they are not surprised at all, because their imaginations is so rich. For them what is happening could be real because they cannot tell apart what can be done and what can't). When my kids were that age and they could not find something they kept asking me: "Dad, make it appear." And they did not ment this as a joke. They have seen me make things appear and dissapear so they thought I could do things like that for real. (Of course I have tried to explain them that I am not a real wizard, but they did not fully understand it until they were about 3,5 and I started to teach them easy tricks like ball vase).
- And another thing they should understand the concept of someone knowing something others do not. When thy are very small they think you know everything they do. So if you let them pick a color for example without you knowing what it is they probably won't understand the whole concept ant tell you the color right away.

I think for little kids very simple effects wok best: vanishing and appearing colorful things like silks or sponge balls, or color changes. So I think Illusion truck is a good idea to show your Mystic Ruby. :)
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:42 pm

thanks for the reply botond, that's an interesting insight. Ruben certainly seems to think I'm actually a wizard at the moment which I can't pretend I don't love!
I use my light up thumb tips a lot, he loves that. and a French drop with a chocolate coin :)
I bet your kids love your magic shop :)
Now you see me...

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi Simon,
Just sent PM...

Best regards,
Evan

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Your cabinet doesn't have 'Truck?! You have Ninja Experiment and all sorts of great odds and ends. But no 'Truck?!

There is an Illusion Truck at SEO Magic. Gonna cost you $60. But 'Truck RARELY pops up on EBay. I can't remember the last time I saw one and I'm on constantly. So I'd honestly jump on that one.

Magic for the Mustic Ruben? Ill give it a crack.

While I haven't tested anything on toddlers--or many kids, admittedly. I figure these might work the best. Some I have routines and presentations for:

- Cubio (have them verbally 'stop' the cube)
- Magic Pop Up (make it a color matching game)
- Mysterious Doghouse (multiplying dogs)
- Shrinking Pen
- Undercover Cube (cube vanish only)
- Crash Dice / Surprise Dice (better with Surprise Dice since they can actually hold the die)
- Burglar Ball (have him ouch the ball through)
- Prison Box (have him point at where you want the ring to go)
- Super Phanto Block
Where's my colon?!

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:42 pm

Tenyo Clean Cut maybe?.....just an idea....have not tried it with my son.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:05 am

Nice topic Simon and great insight from Botond !

I will try appearing silk (appear, vanish and reappear) with TT to test the impossible event reaction and switch it with ballerina hank. I think Ruben will love to see how the hanky "dances" and think that you are the next Harry Potter :) :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:01 am

cubio's a good shout, and I'm going to try and get a doghouse before they sell out, I think that one will become quite collectible. Rü already tries to palm stuff which a) is very cute and b) shows me that I'm obviously not that good at palming!
The next one is going to be a boy too, so maybe one day I'll have a van with 'Craze and Sons: Magic inventors'
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:11 am

SimonC wrote:cubio's a good shout, and I'm going to try and get a doghouse before they sell out, I think that one will become quite collectible. Rü already tries to palm stuff which a) is very cute and b) shows me that I'm obviously not that good at palming!
The next one is going to be a boy too, so maybe one day I'll have a van with 'Craze and Sons: Magic inventors'
Congratulations on the second boy!
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:34 am

Cheers, I don't think Mrs Craze is quite prepared for how smelly our house will be in about 13 years ;)
Now you see me...