HONEY, I BLEW UP THE DICE !

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
VictorS

HONEY, I BLEW UP THE DICE !

Post by VictorS » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:17 pm

;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: HONEY, I BLEW UP THE DICE !

Post by SimonC » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Ooohhhh!
Now you see me...

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:16 pm

I like dice magic!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:56 am

Hello everyone,

It takes me a while to finish this but finally I `m glad that I have finished it :)
I did not really "blow up" the dice but it`s actually a self made jumbo version of the famous Tenyo classic " T-72 - Flash Dice". Comparing to the normal FD, it is about 8 times more bigger than the normal one. So I really "blew it up" :) The idea started when I bought my FD few weeks ago and I found jumbo dice in a magic shop by coincidence. I think it would be great to make a jumbo FD in order to perform it stand up in front of a bigger crowd. The normal FD is suitable only for close up (for 2 or max 3 people). The other inspiration came also when I see the late Paul Daniels performed the stage version of Tenyo "Dragon Altar" :idea:

If you see the design, you would probably surprise how can I made that in wood. It`s not :) Unfortunately I`m not a woodworker like our Simon or Martin but luckily I have a little bit experience working with hard cardboard, how to construct it, cut, paste, etc. The surface is actually covered by sticker with wood design in order to "steal" the elegant look. Yes it is tricky ! :) The inner construction is exactly the same as Tenyo FD, the only difference is : I glued the inner part with the black velvet, so the spec. could not really see the inner construction of the lid and it will reduce the voice while we shake box with all dice in it.

Beside the basic FD routine, I think there will be many more possible routines can be developed with this jumbo FD, for example : mentalism routine with numbers, maybe connection with book test ? (I`m still thinking about it), and many other ideas. Glad if you can share some ideas too ;)

Well, this just an idea sharing to all of us who loves to perform or maybe love to make your own magic props. Hope you like it and have a great Sunday everyone!

Cheers,
Victor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:58 am

Very nicely done! It does look like wood and has a very elegant look! Great job!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:09 am

Fantastic job vic!! You're a real card-shark ;)
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:41 am

Victor, what a fantastic idea! And what a beautiful box! And then the dice, never seen these before! They are great!

And yes, many routines are possible...

That reminds me, I have large wooden dice but never knew what to do with them ... Now I know! :)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:55 am

Thanks for the compliments gents. I`m happy to share this :)

Rob, I`m convinced you will succeed make one for your own. I started to measure the jumbo die and adjust the dimensions for the box. I compare all scales with the Tenyo FD. I started with the base of the box and continue with the lid. Wish you a very good luck and fun ! :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Absolutely beautifull Victor!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:52 am

Wow Victor that is amazing craftsmanship. What a great idea getting those huge dice then make a box for Jumbo Flash Dice. Lining the box quieting the noise is execellnt. The woodgrain contact paper looks really good. You could have posted and not say it wasn't wood for a while nobody would a guessed it wasn't. Very nice job
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:38 am

David, Richard. Thanks for the compliments.

I used the same material to create my own props like the Tommy Wonder`s Card Rubix (Box) & Ringbox ( see : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=680&p=6234&hilit=t ... nder#p6234), John Kennedy`s Mystery Box, Vanishing Deck, my own version of Magic Wagon`s magic painting, etc.
Comparing to wood, it`s not the material to compare with. But still be able the "wow" impression at the 1st look and it`s also quite durable. Maybe someday I have an opportunity to become woodworker :) Wish me luck!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:51 am

I'm sure you'd be great, you've got a fine eye for detail and accuracy, go on vic, give it a go!
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:49 am

SimonC wrote:I'm sure you'd be great, you've got a fine eye for detail and accuracy, go on vic, give it a go!
Thanks for the great motivation Simon. That means a lot to me ;)
Talking about eyes, I really need to take care of them. On this age, I started with 1+ glasses already. So I`m becoming "grandpa" already :) Hope it will not become worst. :roll:

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:18 pm

I believe you won't have to worry too much about your eyes Victor, +1 is not very alarming :)

I have the advantage that I have -2, which means that when I am busy making something, I have to put off my glasses to see things better from a near distance. The only disadvantage is that my back is not very happy with that. And I can read better without glasses.

That aside, it is very rewarding to make or remake items yourself. You understand better how it works, and it gives much satisfaction. I am also a cardboard man, by lack of a workplace, so I"m also happy to see your creations! Great that you also once made Tommy Wonder's Rubik's Card. I was lazy and bought the Indomagicland version :)

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:18 pm

Di-licious Victor.
Well done!
and now, on with the show ...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:11 am

Thanks Bob ;)
Rob....thanks for sharing. Seems that we need to be more consider about ergonomics at workplace. That helps a lot to increase our productivity :)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:33 am

Cool Project Victor

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:19 am

JohnM wrote:Cool Project Victor
Thanks John ;)

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:12 am

Looks beautiful!!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:31 pm

Roberto B. wrote:Looks beautiful!!
Thank you Roberto ;)

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:35 pm

Very nice, Victor! Great job on this jumbo version!

I've recently bought a version of this trick myself, but I just can't get it to work properly. It is clearly not a genuine Tenyo, and I am unsure why I can't get it to work reliably. And I have tried. The dice in mine are quite small, and they look extremely cheap, with a somewhat rough surface. The box only holds 5 dice too.

So what I will try to do is to use some standard 16 mm dice, and then 3D-print my own box. However, since my knockoff version is so bad, I don't want to get the dimensions from that, so if anyone could provide the measurements of a genuine Tenyo version, it would be easier for me to scale my own box properly.

What I need are the dimensions of the dice, and also the inner dimensions of the box with the lid on. Are there any special features inside the lid, or is the cross section (with the lid on), just a plain rectangular shape?

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:30 pm

Please allow me to point out that for a mere $15 including shipping, you could get a brand new genuine Tenyo Flash Dice.

Why you would want to go through the trouble of making one is beyond me.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:37 am

Hi ØyvindK, many thanks for your compliment :) :)

I can help you with the measurement (although I lost my note already :( ), but I think Steve`s suggestion is the best option. The original Tenyo Flash Dice is still easily available and not that expensive. If you get the original one in hand, you can have a good feel and a good starting point to develop further. I used also the same model of Tenyo Flash Dice to construct the jumbo one. Yes the inner construction is very simple. But I measure it from the Jumbo dice I got for the scale of jumbo dice box. For example : small dice : jumbo dice = 10 mm : 30 mm, means that I need to build the box 3 times bigger for the jumbo one, simple as that ;)

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:04 am

Steve, I am fully aware that the original is still available, and that it's cheap. This has nothing to do with money, it's just that I much prefer to make my own stuff, and also that I want a box with standard 16 mm dice.

Victor, you don't have to search for your notes or take new measurements. I've made a working prototype now, but it seems to be a bit finicky to get to work reliably. It requires the shake to be quite soft, and it's too easy to have it fail by shaking too hard.

So I'll just prototype some more, and see if I can come up with a design that is more reliable. Just one question: Is it easy to always get the deired result with the original? Even if shaking hard?