FIRST GLANCE AT 2014 TENYO MAGIC TRICKS

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
JohnM
Site Admin

Re: FIRST GLANCE AT 2014 TENYO MAGIC TRICKS

Post by JohnM » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:28 pm

The money trick has me totally baffled. I never had a trick like that. I have seen the many variations of it on videos.

That is why I like Tenyo. Although I do have other magic, just by having all of the Tenyo I have a wide variety of effects. The only area they do not cover is fire for good reasons. But out of everything that I have, my Hot Wallet always gets the best reactions.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:49 am

Well they don't do fire but at least you get to play with lots of matches. :)

Here are my first thoughts on the 2014 tricks:
Ghost Card-looks like it could be lots of fun to do. Looks like it may get similar reactions to what I get with BioShock which range from "Ewww gross" to "Meh". Hopefully this will be better though as it does seem to be more visual. The only thing I really don't like is the way he has the cards appear again.It looks like they were just stuck on his back and he pulled them to the side of his face. I think I'd really like to see the official Tenyo video for this. I the past I have found Seo's videos not as polished as Tenyo's probably due to the fact they they rush things trying to get their videos out "first".

MRI - This one probably interests me the most. Not sure how it works. Is it something really simple or a new scientific principle at work? My first thought was that the base pushes something up in the frame that lets you see through it or the metal. Maybe it opens something in the top as well where a mirror lets you see the card? Just throwing out some guesses here.

Flash Money - This one doesn't seem too exciting just because it is something that's been done a million times before. However that does not mean it is not a good trick. I believe I only had one version of this and that was a Marvin's Magic version. The Tenyo version looks better so I am looking forward to having it. For all I know this one may actually get the most use.

4D Printer - This looks the most like classic Tenyo. However that also makes it look like the easiest for me to figure out since I am familiar with Tenyo's similar tricks. Looks like it could be fun to do if I can work out an interesting presentation for it.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:41 pm

during a particularly long day I made a 4d printer. VERY rough but I think I've cracked the mech and it's much more pleasing method than I'd thought, if it works like this ill definitely get the real thing as, as you can see mine is sh*t ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:27 am

Will you guys be buying the tricks
- from Magico Japan on Ebay or
- wait for them to pop up on Tokyo-Hobby on Ebay which are often cheaper but do not come with English instructions (shipping is slower but I've never had problems with this shop) or
- wait for them to be available in your local shop or another USA or European webshop, they come with original English instructions.

Or a combination?

They should be available in november I think.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:10 am

I've never bought a whole batch at once but they do pop up on eBay uk occasionally, I think I'll get them all together this year tho as I'm keen on all of them now. The problem I have is the postage on them from overseas makes them too expensive, so I have to wait which drives me crazy!
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:50 am

I'll get 2 sets here in US with the proper printed English instructions attached to the back in a cello bag.

I have a customer who has a magic shop who said he will work up a deal on the 2014 Tenyo for our members.

I explained to him that Penguin is going to be hard to beat as they were very low last year and offer free shipping in the US.

Let's see what he comes up with.

For sure the tricks should be cheaper where ever you buy them.

The Japanese Retail Pirces are lower and the Dollar is much stronger against the Yen.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:07 am

I know someone who may be going to Japan in the next couple of weeks. Hoping she will pick them up for me so I can avoid any shipping costs. :)
Except for Flash Cash which it looks like I'll have to buy local to get the dollar gimmick.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:15 pm

I will buy them from magicshop.nl. Even cheaper than magico-japan, and arriving the next business day!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Leave one for me if possible Rob, I'll buy there a spare too ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Anyone know a good uk tenyo seller? My usual shop Davenports has stopped stocking any new ones :(
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Try world-of-magic.co.uk. I have bought there a lot of stuff the last years. Very competitive prices, and: NO shipping costs above 30 pound of purchase. Within Europe.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:20 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:Leave one for me if possible Rob, I'll buy there a spare too ;)
Yes I'm the person who always buys the LAST RARE item in stock :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Thanks for the tip rob, my wallet thanks you ;)
Now you see me...

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:37 am

Not sure if this really works for me but I guess it is an interesting combo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4WQX0qc-X0

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:12 am

Cool! I like the idea of chomping the cards, looks good.
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:47 am

Elliot W. wrote:Not sure if this really works for me but I guess it is an interesting combo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4WQX0qc-X0
That's cool! Very Creative.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Elliot W, thanks for the link! Did you see his other videos? These are great too! Amongst them a very original tube and 3 silks routine!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Wow, great idea! Thanks for sharing! The Lubor Fiedler trick looks very nice, in previous videos it looked like only one card was forced into the cheek, now it looks like a bunch of them :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:16 am

And they're up for sale. Hitomi always has these for sale as an auction. One month later you'll have them for a more fair price imho ;)
Linkie: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenyo-2014-Five ... 2583957ed8

Perhaps a good deal can be done since a few already have the tricks, but I doubt it ... .

Interesting what Hitomi writes in her description: If you knew this secret, this gimmick might be modified using for some country’s currency bills. (maybe, USA and Euro, and the others) .
The word 'maybe' has me worried a bit however :?

[edit] It seems she has two sets available. This auction is for the first one.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:06 am

I like this demo of the Ghost Card, because is very generous with the angles:

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:34 pm

The more I see this performed the more I like it. I was a bit on the fence in the beginning but after seeing these new videos it looks pretty good!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:39 am

Here are three new video's from Ron from magicshop in Holland:

Ghost card: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y--n31mOdU
4D Printer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WFMiHJTdGY
Magical MRI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fclj0irLZMI

That MRI with the face of the card AWAY from the magician ... what the heck? Or did he use a marked deck :P ?

============================================================

EDIT - Hitomi's auction sold for 124,50 USD, pretty low if you ask me compared to previous years. I believe this has to do with the items were for sale at the convention in Japan and it seems shops in Europe and the USA already received their prototypes.

The first sale prices at http://www.tenyo-magic.com are pretty low. Take in mind there is no tax/VAT included in these prices.

And last but not least, Ron told me there could be a EURO version of the money trick, but wasn't sure yet. He only got the Japanese version and that's why he didn't make a video of it.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm thinking from the last MRI vid that the 'metal' plate could become see-through from at least the top. Only because people have said you don't need a marked deck, and from my pic below this is the only way I can think you'd be able to tell, by spying the bottom-most pip through the top if the plate. I'm thinking there's a light in the frame that makes the performers side non-opaque. This is a classic "I can't wait to get this box and find out the secret" tenyo :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:56 am

Hitomi's second batch is for sale now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tenyo-2014-Five ... 2583d3660f

Retail prices at tenyo-magic (I included 21 % taxes and converted to USD) are:

- Ghost card: 30 USD
- 4D Printer: 24 USD
- MRI: 29,50 USD
- Flash Money: not available yet, but due to the low production costs (I assume the gimmick is not really something expensive to make) it will perhaps be the cheapest of them all.

I think if you can get them for less than 100 USD you did a fair deal. Less is better of course since the batch of them will sell for around 80 USD in Japan I think.

About MRI: they always look from above so Simon's suggestion may be right, although I think it is less complex as we think 8-) It will be one of those happy moments when I open the package :P

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:31 am

Last year is was possible to order all 4 tricks straight from Japan for $60 shipped to USA.
The retail prices are similar this year (only 200 yen more) so I assume it would be possible to get them for $60-$65 if you are OK with the Japanese versions.

As far as MRI is concerned I still think there is some sort of mirror doohickey in the top of the frame which let's you see the top of the card. Just me guess. Definitely want to get this soon and find out.