FIRST GLANCE AT 2014 TENYO MAGIC TRICKS

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: FIRST GLANCE AT 2014 TENYO MAGIC TRICKS

Post by SimonC » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:10 am

awesome, I much prefer that I have to say, makes more sense as a pocket trick. is it home-made? I may have to have a stab.
Now you see me...

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:02 am

I think is home made

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:33 pm

why did he go to the trouble to use the three Bicycle cards in the trick but for the force not use a Bicycle deck as well?

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:02 pm

good point. my guess is that you can buy a blank deck of bicycles quite easily (I have one as they're good for all sorts) perhaps the others are used to give contrast. they're lovely cards to use actually, I think they're a deck of 'minimal playing cards' by house of playing cards. I have green set and they are rather lovely, the box looks a little like a Pantone reference square. another nice touch with them is I got one duplicate card (a 2 of hearts in this case) which is really handy for some effects.
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:48 pm

I too like this pocket version more then Tenyo's parlor version. It just makes more sense and looks less suspicious. Do you guys think it works in the same way?
It should be possible to make one your own.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:52 pm

I don't have the real one yet but I made a mock up today of the smaller version, I think it should work fine.
Now you see me...

Peter G
Charter Member

Post by Peter G » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:18 am

Yesterday I received the 2014 line delivered from Japan.

For the first time in my life I have to say I'm very dissappointed with the quality and effects.

MRI: if you look at it for 10 seconds you know how it works. I opened the package and saw the ... immediately.

4D-printer: the quality is awfull. If this is made for children (the main focus of Tenyo) it will be broken immediately. Even some weight was not included to reduce costs.

Ghost Card: this is only for fun... I don't see how I could ever use this

Money Shock: mmm... this is the only usable trick but there are better ones on the market.

Overall this year is a big dissappointment for me. I understand that companies have to try to reduce costs in these time, but this is no answer to that problem.

Sorry guys...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:27 am

I'm inclined to agree in terms of when you'd use the tricks, I got MRI and ghost cards mostly to find out how they worked. I collect them as curiosities and occasionally there are some that I perform regularly.
if you didn't like this years selection keep your fingers crossed for me, I've submitted 3 effects this year so you never know ;)
si
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:39 am

I tend to partially agree with you Peter - I've been thinking on adjusting the reviews on my website for a few days now. I've played with the effects for some time now and 4D-printer could have been made much better. The fact you have to add weight to the base was something Tenyo could have provided for.

I don't own other variations of money shock. What other effects like these do you think are better?

I'm surprised about MRI - I've read on TMC some people do not think it is examinable and even you immediately saw where the gimmick was. I never suspected a thing to be honest while I had it in my hands. Perhaps your gimmick wasn't 'closed'? I find my gimmick pretty hard to move by the way, even if you 'feel' the frame nothing will move or slide unless you apply some force on the specific part - this was why I though it was examinable.
Also, you have to emphasize it is the metal plate that is gimmicked to the spectators, I think the frame will arouse few suspicion with laymen.

I do think Tenyo is trying to keep the materials used as cheap as possible, 4D Printer is a great example of this. While I don't think the effect would have been 'better' in the eyes of spectators if it would have been made from plastic it sure would have made it easier for us to perform. Anyway, we can make our own versions.
Also, 'the guy from the book ( ;) )' said on TMC the production costs have nothing to do with it - Tenyo makes what people want them to make. I think this is b*llshit, I can not imagine people in Japan prefer the so-so quality of the cardboard stand over a nice thin plastic stand.

One more thing - I find Ghost Card very hard to perform without arousing suspicion. I thought if I played with it it would become 'better' but this is not the case. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or perhaps I'm just clumsy. But the whole gimmick is so incredible fragile!

Izzy Jay
Charter Member

Post by Izzy Jay » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:03 am

David DeTenyo wrote: I don't own other variations of money shock. What other effects like these do you think are better?
Well, Extreme Burn 2.0 by Richard Sanders is one of the best ones available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8AG4a4P ... 8AG4a4PTY0

Additionally, it works with any currency in the world!

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:43 am

I have to disagree with some of the criticisms here. I really like this year's tricks. I happen to think this year's items are better than last year's.

First of all I am not a performer. I just collect and do tricks once and a while for family and friends. So whether these tricks could work in the real world is irrelevant to me. What matters to me is if I find them interesting and they are fun to do.

Ghost Card - My family loves this trick. It is a really cool illusion and the gimmick is cool as well. I really like how it works and it is fun to do. It does need practice to do smoothly but I don't find it that hard to do. I don't really think the gimmick is that fragile either. It never felt like it was going to break whenever I tried it.
It does need a better routine however. The bringing the other half cards from behind your back is pretty lame. I'm sure with enough thought we could come up with something better.

MRI - Also a fun and mystifying trick to do. Always good to have a classic Tenyo plastic prop in the lot. I gave the frame out to family members to examine. It took them a decent amount of time to find the gimmick and they have seen many Tenyo tricks and know what to look for. Even so I would probably not hand it out to examine but I think just showing both sides cleanly is just fine.
I think spectators will suspect the plate more than the frame as most of us did upon seeing the first video and even if they suspect the frame will they really know how it works?

4D-Printer - A nice trick but not that impressed with this one. The cardboard is disappointing (I wonder if plastic would have been too heavy for the gimmick to work properly) but really this type of gimmick has been done before and better. So I did not find it that new or interesting. It does seem like something that is open to many routines so perhaps if I can come up with something really good I would like it better. Maybe it can be used together with Magical Word (2005 special) which has the same birthday cake card.

Money Shock - I don't have it yet. Waiting for the US version to come out. Looks like it can be useful but doesn't seem like anything new. I'll know more when I get it of course. I don't have Extreme Burn so I won't be able to compare it.

Overall I think all 4 tricks are good with Ghost Card and MRI being the standouts.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:09 pm

I was patiently waiting to get my two sets of the 2014 tricks with the English instructions attached to the back in a cello bag but when I saw that deal at Rakuten that Elliot brought to our attentions (Thank You Elliot :D) I could not pass it up.

I received the new tricks a couple of days ago and they are back in their cartons and off to the side.

I am more in agreement with Peter G.

MRI was a big disappointment to me. RKs statement that it is an instant classic had me really excited but in my opinion he is wrong. The trick is too limiting with the positioning. The best I can say is that it is good but I am not even sure of that. The method is cool but the effect is not that exciting. I will be working on this and think that 3d objects might work better like a mini Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Tower of Pisa, Big Ben and a Pyramid. Another idea that would be cool is mini Japanese Monsters like Godzilla, Mothra, etc.

When people were complaining that 4D Printer was made of cardboard, I was thinking it was a rigid cardboard. I would not even consider the material cardboard, it is more like a thick paper. I don't like the large size (poker size would have been more Tenyo like), I don't like it standing (better to do it in the palm of your hand) and for sure I don't like the obvious gimmick on the back which prevents you from showing the back. They did a good job of hiding the gimmick on the back of the card but when it came to the back of the case they didn't even try. This would have been better made of the same plastic material as Ghost Card in the smaller size.

Ghost Card is something that I played with but I would not have the confidence to perform. I think it will be like many of Lubor's tricks, interesting to play like Blue Crystal but not a go to trick.

These are my first impression which can change. I will still be getting my two English sets but I am worried that about the direction that Tenyo is heading. The whimsical tricks that made us love the brand may never been seen again. And the cost cutting measures concern me as well.

Of course if RK could comment here he would say that Tenyo is made just for the Japanese lay people but I do not believe that at all. If that was so they would not go to the trouble of translating and printing the instructions in English and they would not be making the professional line of tricks.

If you notice, someone like RK makes a comment and then people repeat it and then it becomes a "fact." It happened with Tenyo Elite as well. They make a comment that Tenyo is very protective of their tricks but it does not add up. If that were so there would be no Winnie the Pooh Bare Bones, or Mickey Mouse Pendant or Yugioh whatever.

Izzy Jay
Charter Member

Post by Izzy Jay » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Well John, it sounds like you got your work cut out for you. How about your own Tenyo Elite line?

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:32 pm

RK posted the "definitive" :roll: answer on the Cafe as to why the trick was made in paper. "A plastic case would actually be much more suspicious looking than what they are selling."

Not in my opinion, if that was the case then they would have provided a second prop since it will quickly wear out. They did this with Xray File, Syncro Boxes as well as the plate in Mystic Blackboard and the beads in Mystery Poodle. IMO the reason they made it the way they did was to make it less expensively. The point that Peter made about reducing the weight of the package is a valid point as well.

If they would have made it out of the same material as the Xray File folder then that would have been more believable then a blue folder with flourishes printed on it. But according to RK the blue envelope with flourishes and gigantic cards are "less suspicious." :lol:

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Izzy Jay wrote:Well John, it sounds like you got your work cut out for you. How about your own Tenyo Elite line?
Don't get me started. Well I am already on a tear so here goes.

The thread has since been deleted but a statement by one of the Tenyo Elite founders a few days ago on the Cafe said that the new trick that is "coming soon" :lol: is "sick" as well as a "work of art" as well as a "masterpiece."

Once again he set expectations so high and they can never be lived up to.

What he describes would have to be something that you put down on a table and then the trick mechanically operates itself like the cube in Hell Raiser.

Don't forget that we already know the gimmick behind ever Tenyo trick so that will take a lot away from impressing us. We are also very familiar with quality word working from the likes of Magic Wagon, Danis and Warner.

If it was an original trick made out of wood like Mystery China Box or Prison Box then maybe it could live up to the expectations he set.

The thread was supposedly deleted because it was GAZed but they often just delete the member, sometimes delete the member and the questionable post(s) but rarely delete the entire thread. My suspicion is that it was a decision to get rid of what the partner posted. Besides making the over the top statements, he started again with saying that we will know what the next Tenyo Elite trick is in a mater of weeks. We have heard that before. :roll:

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:58 pm

I have to say, re the 2014 line I haven't used them once since I got them, I love inspecting the mechanics and playing with them myself. I'll probably get them out when I'm pissed, that's when i usually crack out the tenyo for spectators ;)
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 pm

SimonC wrote: I'll probably get them out when I'm pissed, that's when i usually crack out the tenyo for spectators ;)
When you say "pissed" I assume you mean drunk. Here in the US pissed means "mad."

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:42 pm

ha! yes I mean inebriated. not done angry magic yet but I feel like I'd need to be dressed as a clown.
pick a card, any card NOT THAT ONE YOU F&@£*#G TWAT!!
Now you see me...

Peter G
Charter Member

Post by Peter G » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm not sure why 'the guy from the book' :) says production costs have nothing to do with it. On the contrary, I think he's completely wrong.

I know economy in Japan is not going so well these days, and Japanese companies try to reduce human and material costs at a maximum level. So, it would be very unusual if Tenyo didn't do so. I'm sure if they had a higher budget, they would use stronger materials. I cannot imagine the children enjoying these things more than the older Tenyo-items.

@David: Extreme Burn 2.0 from Richard Sanders is much much better. But you need a little bit more sleight than Tenyo's version, but it's much more impressive. Definately worth buying! ps: you'll need 5 more 20 euro bills to make the gimmick so it's not a cheap gimmick, but you can always take it apart again when you run out of money :)
My MRI moves easily, but it was closed in the package. But even my wife who didn't see the backside of it said 'it must be a ...... in the ..."

Anyway, I'm glad I still have the older Tenyo now that they are still quite easily available. Within some years that will become more difficult.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Another 4D printer variation (my favourite!):

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Great handling indeed Roberto!

Ha, I still don't have the new Tenyo items, they're not available yet in The Netherlands... Am I the only member in this forum who doesn't have them yet?

I even don't know IF I will buy them... maybe a couple only.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:06 pm

I still don't have them too.......spending my budget in some oportunity items right now......I know the Tenyo ones are going to be there....so they can wait.

Izzy Jay
Charter Member

Post by Izzy Jay » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:59 pm

Anyone got any updates regarding a U.S. Currency version of Money Shock? It was supposed to be released by the end of November.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Magicshop.nl wrote on their site the non-Japanese version comes with a gimmick suitable for USD and EURO :) It is now available and I will be receiving it soon.

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:23 pm

The 2014 tricks including Money Shock are now available at Penguin for really good prices!
I just hope that horrendous sticker comes off the Money Shock box ... ;)