FIRST GLANCE AT 2014 TENYO MAGIC TRICKS

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Peter G
Charter Member

Re: FIRST GLANCE AT 2014 TENYO MAGIC TRICKS

Post by Peter G » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Pictures of the backsides of the packages! These show more clearly how things work!

http://tenyo-magic.blogspot.fr/2013/06/tenyo-2014.html

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:12 pm

I love pictures of backsides
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:59 pm

Here is More Information About Yesterday Magic Festival and the 2014 Tricks from the Hey Presto Japanese Magic Blog.

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... rl&act=url

Peter G
Charter Member

Post by Peter G » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:33 pm

First performance video...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Does he swear at 1:05?!
MRI still looks tops for me. Can't really work out what I think of the others yet.
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:45 pm

I am not that excited. I hope these are better than the first impressions I am forming.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:51 pm

I definitely agree. I was bummed to see the lubors deck is in a deck shaped box as it sinks in your cheek, bit clumsy. Paper money is ooooold, I made my own 5years ago, I can't see what tenyo will add to make it better but having said that their shocking g pen was awesome. The other two I need more info on.
And I'm still convinced the tells me to f**k off at 1:05
Now you see me...

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:01 pm

He actually says "Fig You" in Japanese. イチジクを

:lol:

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:21 pm

The fellow who runs the Hey Presto Magic Blog in Japan now has pictures of the actual MRI trick. Follow along with him as he will be posting more info. He was at the Tenyo Magic Festival on Sunday and has all the 2014 tricks.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... 34.fc2.com

Elliot W.
Charter Member

Post by Elliot W. » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:12 am

MRI is definitely the most mysterious.
I agree the case pushing the cards in Ghost Card make it look pretty gimmicky but it still might play well.
Especially if the spectator chooses the cards. Same thing for 4D printer. I definitely need to see some full videos before I make a decision on them.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:03 pm

Here is some more information on the 2014 tricks from Katsunori Takeuchi the demonstrator from the Tobu Department Store that has posted the first video. The translation is pretty much useless but at the same time there are some funny lines in there.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... 47913.html

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:24 am

I was reading the translation of the review of the trick with the bills on the Hey Presto Magic site in Japan. (http://jpmagic.blog34.fc2.com)

I could not make out much but was able to learn that the reason why there is a 1000 yen and 10000 yen version is that the size of the bills are different so the same gimmick cannot be used. They are very close in size so this must be a very specific gimmick.

I am wondering if Tenyo will be coming out with versions for American and Euro Bank Notes. If not it will be very expensive to perform this trick because you will have to buy and keep a lot of Japanese Yen on hand. I am surprised at the 10000 yen version. According to others, Tenyo's focus is on creating tricks for Japanese lay people but I can't image a casual lay person caring around 50000 yen to perform a magic trick.

1000 Yen Bank Notes is 150 x 76 mm
10000 Yen Bank Notes is 160 x 76 mm

US Bank Notes 156 x 66 mm (size is approx. all bills are the same size)
Euro Bank Notes – varies from 120 x 62 mm to 160 x 82 mm

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:44 am

after getting Trisector (thanks again john) and reading how they show you can adapt it for other notes, perhaps the gimmick is trimmable to fit dollars/euros if those notes are smaller? one thing that sucks about being an English tenyo collector is our lowest note is £5 (just under $8) so to do a trick like this ill have to have about £30 on me, and that's only if the gimmick fits. I've had a stash of dollar bills for a while but it immediately screams TRIICK if I use them over here!
still, at least I'll be able to say there's half a pack of cards in my mouth.
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:44 am

which would be impossible to so with half a pack of cards in your mouth. I'm arm all the way with that one.
Now you see me...

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:48 am

See here an MRI unboxing and display of the parts and a quick performance (at the end) of Lubor's Ghost Card.........

I think that Ghost Card uses a similar gimmick that Tenyo Fadeaway Case (I mean the mechanical part, not the filter):

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:09 am

Bring it on, his face says it all :D
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks for all the videos guys!

My favourite is Transformation ... seems a good old tenyo gimmick is in play and it is easy to do.

Don't know what to think about MRI ... . Some sort of screen that you can look thorugh? Or a clever gimmick with mirrors?

Lubors trick is a bit of a dissapointment ... but I have to see it in real life.

The mopey trick looks cool, I hope there will be a USD/EURO version :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:27 am

Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:23 am

I am a bit concerned about MRI. The dice have to be extremely close to the plate which can arouse suspision I think. Other then that it looks a great trick!

Lubors effect is a nice micro illusion it seems, easy to do. Something you can take out of your forbidden closet of mistery when you have visitors :)

4D-Printer looks a bit bulky and BIG. Nonetheless it does look nice. The forcing of the cards seems obvious to us magicians but there are other possibilities I'm sure.

The money trick has been done before ... many times. It does look very easy to perform however which I like very much.

Overall this seems to be a pretty good year afterall, but not Tenyo's best year to date (I think we already had that one in the '80s - '90s) 8-)

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:48 am

On MRI, my guess is that the plate is not see through but that you can see through the bottom of the frame.

I say this because why are the dice so small, especially in relation to the overall prop.

I would guess that the card is a marked card and once again you can see this through the bottom part.

Just my guess.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:55 am

4d printer looks pretty lame at first glance, probably quite easy to make in card. And you're right David the force may as well have a neon arrow pointing at it saying FORCE!!
The money trick doesn't seem any different from the normal version of that which is a makeable gimmick, I made one with 7 dollar bills and some paper about 5years ago. I'm hoping they've made it a little special with a sprinkling of tenyo magic, like they did with shocking pen and the locking mechanism.
Lubors trick looks much better now I know it's a little packet of cards in a wallet, and plucking it out from the other half of his neck. I'm a massive fan of lubors too so that's a relief.
MRI looks like a very big peek device, in the same vein of trick as X-ray file. I'm really hoping its a 2-way mirror activated on the magicians side to flick between opaque and not, possibly with a current.
Not sure how often ill use it but I love gimmicks so it will be fun to play with. I'd love it if it was just a metal plate with a mirror that you stick on the wall behind the spectator ;)
In order of excitement and likelyhood of buying I'd say..

Lubors cards just pipping MRI purely because I'll use it more
4d printer
Money trick (this would be much higher if I didn't already have several versions of it at home)
Now you see me...

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:35 am

Lubor's trick is my favourite till now...very visual micro ilusión....

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:32 pm

I keep watching the vid, I love it now. The wallet thingy looks really cool, and it's going to be a great one to keep in my shirt pocket and crack out during lessons. Bring it on, when are they on sale?
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:21 am

It seems the Money trick will be available with American currency. Us Europeans are probably left out again ... . Hopefully we can make our own gimmick, which probably will require some scanning, photoshopping, printing and cutting. Perhaps the gimmick is printed on bendable plastic that 'snaps' if you let it go, that could be a problem ... .

I'm a bit dissapointed Tenyo didn't release a gimmicked deck of cards that comes with the 4D-printer (like with Pop-Up Card for example), but I can live with that. Using an oridinary deck and forcing three cards is always better in the end anyway ... .

I'm still not sure what to think about MRI. The suggestions given above (peek device) might all work. Someone mentioned on another forum a gimmicked deck is not necessary.
What bothers me most is that the card or dice have to be so close to the panel. A nice litle illusion but not a real 'worker' I think, but then again few Tenyo's are real 'workers' ;)

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:19 pm

I think my fave trick could be the 4d printer,to me it looks like a classic tenyo trick from the 80s or earlier, for me it looks like a typical tenyo prop, [in a good way]... MRI looks a good one too, not impressed with the money trick and im not v impressed with lubors creation if im honest. ... gaz