2024 +1 Redemption trick revealed: ESP Birds

Here you can talk about Tenyo subjects other than Performing and Collecting.
Brett H

2024 +1 Redemption trick revealed: ESP Birds

Post by Brett H » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:07 pm

This got revealed a few days ago, haven't been able to make a post about it because it's wacky busy.

Tenyo 2023 Plus One information: ESP bird (Japan redemption only)
You can do 3 fun magic tricks using cards with colorful birds. All of them use clever principles and can be done easily, but they are all super mysterious!

MAGIC1. Best Partner
You change the order of the two piles of cards according to your opponent's instructions, but strangely, birds of the same color come out from the top. If you repeat it, all the birds will have the same color.

MAGIC 2. Thoughts are one
You and your opponent each decide the color of the bird in your heart, and when you take out the mixed card and show it to each other, it is the same color bird.

MAGIC3. Color Bird Miracle
Have your partner pick a color for the bird. The cards are divided into two and held by oneself and the other party, but only the bird of the color selected in each card is turned upside down, even though the order and direction were changed by the intention of the other party.
Card design and procedure idea: Toru Suzuki
Available ship date: End July 2023

This one is interesting because it's a redemption trick with 3 provided presentations--and those are rare.

I'm going to do what I did last year and get the first one that hits Ebay. This one looks to be as good--or pretty close--to the same degree of Liar's Fruit. Especially since Toru Suzuki did Liar's Fruit and this one.

ESP Birds, reading the descriptions for all 3 presentations, comes across as being a bit similar to Magical Sneakers--which isn't bad, especially since 'Sneakers is considered one of the best +1s.

I do like that the first presentation can be repeated. Maybe it's because Image Generator Mini and Liar's Fruit have a sort of "instant reset" about them that I'm kind of spoiled by, but I have my fingers crossed that MAGIC 2 and 3 have some way to reset quickly--at least, faster than 'Sneakers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Where's my colon?!

John B.
Charter Member

Re: 2024 +1 Redemption trick revealed: ESP Birds

Post by John B. » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:09 pm

This looks cool- thanks for posting Brett!

MartinGo

Post by MartinGo » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:12 pm

Yes Brett! A very nice reunion with Martin Gardner....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:33 pm

Looks great!

Some of the +1s are as good as, if not better than, that year's regular releases. This may be one of them.

Thanks for posting, Brett!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:36 am

EvanS wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:33 pm
Looks great!

Some of the +1s are as good as, if not better than, that year's regular releases. This may be one of them.

Thanks for posting, Brett!
The +1's have always been consistently good--even if they aren't the most performable (looking at you, Magician's clock), there's always neat ideas that go into them. I'm most familiar with 2006 Magical Calendar to current. I'm not sure about how the +1's prior to that (aside from Dream Psychometry) are perceived--but I would be curious to know.

This years lineup looks like an "experimental" year--and those are always polarizing. We have our first coin trick since The Alchemist in 2015, our first wallet since Wild Wallet in 1991, Tenyo is doing a "Book Test" for the first time, and we have another card prediction--your mileage may vary on that one since we've almost have had a card prediction every year since 2016 (and 2016 was all card predictions except for Mysterious Doghouse). Depends on how much you like gaff decks/card predictions. It's also coming off the heels of last years lineup--and that's just an uphill battle no matter what way you look at it. The new lineup in a similar spot like the 2016 lineup.

I'll have a copy of ESP Birds next week. My kid and I are going to use Google Translate and hopefully try to get all 3 routines figured out and I'll report back.

As far as +1s go, I think it's going to be tough for ESP Birds to be as good or better than Liar's Fruit, but it has the makings to be a really good one
Where's my colon?!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:23 am

Okay! Just got ESP Birds in the mail today. If you’re big on Redemption tricks, I think this will make your top 10. It’s not as good as Liar’s Fruit (I think that one easily makes Top 5), IMO, but it’s still really good. If you like Magical Sneakers, you’ll like this one too. Some notes:

- if you like redemption tricks that can perform well with friends, family, a gathering, you’ll like this.

- the trick has 3 routines. I don’t think we have had a redemption trick with 3 routines since Magical Burger in 2009.

- trying to google translate the instructions is going to be incredibly rough for routine #2 and #3

- routine 1 is super quick and easy to do

- routine 2 is also quick, but google translate isn’t being friendly with making it easy

- routine 3 is a bit lengthy, but it’s the best routine of the lot, IMO

I have school starting up again this week. I’m going to try and create my own English instructions for anyone who gets this trick before sites like SEOMagic have it in their T-line bundle in December. I’ll need to mess with it a lot more, I’m close to cracking the 3rd routine, but I’ll have to look at other translations for the 2nd routine as I’m getting hung up in the very beginning of it
Where's my colon?!

MartinGo

Post by MartinGo » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:29 pm

Birds routine 4?

Found by Martin Gardner: Four kings, four queens are mixed up. The pack goes behind the magician's back. He brings two cards to the front. It is a matching pair (e.g. two hearts). Two more cards follow, which are again suited (e.g. two spades). Etc.

MartinGo

Post by MartinGo » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:38 am

In the third routine, it comes down to a few details. When you see the demonstration, there should be no more doubts:

https://youtu.be/_vplu8SuElM?feature=shared