This one baffled me...

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: This one baffled me...

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:54 am

PeterW wrote:... I believe they could have done a better job in painting the apparatus ...
Agreed. I dropped the apparatus yesterday while cleaning and some small parts of paint chipped off :( So ... handle with care people.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:29 pm

I purchased a "Squeezy Away Block" form Steve S.

I was concerned about size, but it was just perfect.
The wood cabinet/blockholder is very nice teak with cool grain character.
The block quality was good with bright colors.

In my opinion, the gimmick is clever, and the gimmick quality was as good as it could be.

I worked with the effect for about 30 minutes, I performed it for my toughest audience. (yes Mrs. BluBob)

Mrs. BluBob was ~BlOwN AWaY~
(I knew that amazement has just occurred.)

The illusion of the Yellow block being squeezed into nothingness is absolutely perfect!!! ~ :o ~

If you are looking to add a ~squeeze~ type effect to your collection, this will make a very nice addition to your collection.

Bob~
and now, on with the show ...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:16 am

Card on Ribbon by Mickael Chatelain

https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=59561

Add sais:
- NO forcing!
- COMPLETELY free choice!
- VERY easy to do!
- The DECK and the CASE are examinable!
- INSTANT reset.
- The GIMMICK takes care of EVERYTHING!
- ONLY the chosen card escapes!

Michael also sais on TMC it can be performed surrounded, there's nothing to hide, the handling is clean.

I have a similar trick but this one seems much easier to do ... and everything is examinable. Sounds almost too good to be through :)

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:41 am

Very impressive! It says INTERMEDIATE level of difficulty which surprises me because the handling appears to be so clean. There must be something requiring a bit of skill which the performer must accomplish. Hmmm...

Thanks for sharing that David! :)
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:10 am

Oh ... intermediate ... I didn't see that. It also sais 'VERY' easy to do, which is pretty confusing :? Thanks for mentioning that Steve!

[EDIT] In a response to someone asking about the skill level required on Themagiccafe, this is what Michael replied:

It's really EASY !!!!!! 0 manip !!!

Mickael Chatelain

Here's a second trailer: http://www.tesmarzauberartikel.de/produ ... eqb0c0bav4 - no cuts.

The 'gimmick does all the work'.

I don't really like card tricks anymore since I already have so many and am more of a collector ... but this is one I really consider buying! I will wait for some reviews though.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:10 pm

I recently saw this and thought the method employed was very cool so I purchased a copy. It's an effect marketed by Astor called Trio in case other forum members are interested. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S12250

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:39 am

That really looks like a cool trick Peter, Trio by Astor!

Does the price justifies the quality and the method? I have seen the pictures and the video and it really looks great and sturdy made!

But ... can you remove the cards after the reveal ???? I don't think so. Does the spec knows which cards he/she has chosen? I think no either.

At vliegeruit.nl it is for sale for 100 euro ... Hmm a bit expensive ... Is it worth the money? It looks like a special transparant material is used ... like WOW by Masuda ???

Just three WOW cards next to each other? I see no other explanation :)

https://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/pr ... cts_id/595

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:23 am

Hi Rob,
For Trio, I think the price justifies more to the quality but the method (switch) is also clever I would say. But please be careful with Trio, there are China knock offs already available at the market. I saw it several times at the magic dealer. I am afraid we cannot remove the card directly after the routine, the secret will be exposed. The spec never knows what card they have chosen.

Most of the Astor products are made from acrylic but I would say good quality acrylic and everything is precisely made. I personally love many of his ideas although I don`t have any of his product (because of the price) If you have chance to find The Astor Mental with a good price, it`s really a nice and clever trick. The method is super clever and the good thing is, we can repeat the routine. But unfortunately it is not examinable. Here is the demo :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgWjPLeghTU

Astor Epic is also another twist of the classic occult board. The method is really clever and I assume the mechanical work is very good too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTIIWG6uDdc

The one I love and I made myself is the Astor Mental Cubes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p_H20LHnz4
It has really a nice variation of routine and the good thing is it`s totally self working and totally examinable. I tried to modified the cubes with my own version and make another climax for it.

In general, Astor has brilliant ideas with good quality of products I would say :)

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Mon May 01, 2017 9:25 am

Victor is correct on all his statements. I can't comment yet on quality as the effect hasn't arrived yet. But it does appear well made and I like that it folds flat for travel.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon May 01, 2017 9:51 am

Yes, you are right Peter, one point I forgot that Trio can be packed flat. :) Hope you enjoy the trick Peter !

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon May 01, 2017 1:13 pm

I've always been tempted to buy Astor Mental - such a clever trick! A close-up/small version would be ideal for me, but I have contacted Astor and he told me he won't produce one.
I know how it works but I believe making it smaller with mini cards can cause problems due to the operation of the gimmicks.
Nonetheless the regular size is on my wish list :) If anyone has one that works OK and want's to sell it let me know!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon May 08, 2017 1:45 am

This is very good improvement on the classic Hover Card by Dan Harlan. Actually the one move that we can take a card from the top of the deck while the chosen card is floating reminds me to the Tenyo Floating Card.
;)
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8399

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Mon May 08, 2017 2:55 am

I went for this one, and I'm happy to report that I like it very much.
The gimmick is very clever, and obviously being able to detach the floating card is pretty amazing!
Dan Harlan lives in my town, and I go to Penguin "live" as I am able.
Dan is extremely knowledgeable, and hosts the "live" sessions.

In my opinion, this is a BIG improvement on the Tenyo Floating Card.
(but it's still a variation of the floating card)
If you like this type of an effect, you should find this one interesting.
It is not something which I would add to a display case.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon May 08, 2017 4:55 am

Is it easy to do BluBob, compared to Tenyo's version?

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Mon May 08, 2017 1:00 pm

Interesting! I'm familiar with the original hover card, but the clean ability to grab the card in the air and show all faces is very cool. Nice effect!

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue May 09, 2017 2:01 am

David DeTenyo wrote:Is it easy to do BluBob, compared to Tenyo's version?
==============================================================================
Very easy David, & no threads!

Very clever in my opinion ...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue May 09, 2017 1:32 pm

I certainly looks impressive, I got the trailer the other day. I like dan Harlans starcle, that's in my routine now :)
Now you see me...

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun May 14, 2017 2:24 am

Hi Si, I enjoy "Starcle" as well.
Dan's stuff always has an element of clever "sideways" thinking.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sun May 21, 2017 11:34 am

Hello all, for those that purchased Cleverly Threaded I was a little disappointed with the quality of the paint job done on this effect. I found mine started to flake and peel almost instantly, so I thought I would try giving it a new coat of paint. I found that a light sanding of the base and the top were all that was needed to ready them for paint but the cylinder was a different story. It appears to be made of aluminum and I found that the manufacturer did not sand the cylinder prior to painting, this meant the paint had nothing to adhere to and was the reason why it was flaking. I found that all the paint had to be removed and a razor blade made quick work of that, I then gave it a light sanding and then a few coats of spray paint. Here are the results, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun May 21, 2017 11:44 am

Looks much better and awesome Peter....you did really a good job ! ;)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun May 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Wow Peter it looks now like a 250 $ trick ! So classy!

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun May 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Thank you, Peter.
When you sanded the cylinder, what # grit sandpaper did you use?

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun May 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Absolutely beautifull Peter!

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sun May 21, 2017 2:46 pm

BluBob wrote:Thank you, Peter.
When you sanded the cylinder, what # grit sandpaper did you use?
Many thanks for all the compliments! Bob I ended up using a fine sanding sponge, it would most likely be equivalent to a 220 grit or finer sand paper. Hope that helps!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:53 am

I recently acquired an original verions of 'Cleverly Threaded' (aka 'Thread It') from a German magic shop. I can't find a picture of it and for the moment I'm too layzy to take one :P :ugeek:

It is a lot smaller and uses something that looks like a 'spool' with the band wrapped around it - makes a bit more sense actually.

I must say the older version is more clever ... . It uses an extra gimmick which is hidden in the spool (you can't see it so you can show the spool inside epmty) but it can 'dislodge' when needed. Very clever and provides a much longer routine which is also more baffling.

So ... if anyone is interested in the new version sold by Zauberbutike (which is actually prettier to look at, easier to do and more suitable for parlor) drop me a pm, asking 15 EURO for it, which is about half price. I must admit a tiny piece of the blue paint chipped of when I dropped the tube, but that won't influence your presentation at all and people won't even notice ... .
Shipping: 15 EURO (cheapest method, but I'm willing to take the risk).