Sugawara's Ring and Ribbon Back in Stock

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
Steve S.

Re: Sugawara's Ring and Ribbon Back in Stock

Post by Steve S. » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:27 am

I preferred the shoelace version as well until a few moments ago. I may change my mind many more times. :lol:

Great idea about using one of your shoelaces! Actually, if you do that, then the shoelace version is certainly the better of the two!

OK, I am back to preferring the shoelace version and I'm sticking to it. :D
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:00 am

Bob Little has nothing to do with Grant's "Swing a Ring." He claimed it was his idea and sold it to Tenyo.

These are actually two completely different effects. You should not be close enough to a spectator when doing the Sugawara effect for that person to examine the ring. You perform the trick, put it in your pocket, and continue with your next routine.

They can't examine "Swing a Ring" either or they'll feel the magnet in the rope.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:29 am

It is possible to examine the Fantasma version because the magnet slides and can be moved to the end of the shoelace making it possibly examinable with some reservation.

Quite frankly, I have always found allowing spectators to examine props to be overrated. Yes, perhaps some effects such as a Scotch and Soda or Dime and Penny is something you may want your spectator to handle for a moment but, in many cases, it actually disrupts the flow of your performance.

Your objective is to fool and ultimately entertain your audience so the presentation is important but not having spectators grab your props so much. That being said, some like tricks they can hand out and that's fine. I suspect that it makes them feel that it adds to the fooling factor and I can respect that.

This can be a thread unto itself! Another thread I would suggest is what your performance comfort zone is. In essence, what type of audience are you most comfortable performing for?

Randy

Post by Randy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 am

For "Swing a Ring" I don't believe that the shoelace is what the audience suspects and I don't think they have any desire to examine it. The ring is the only logical choice in their minds. I also agree about allowing people to examine props. Not only can it slow down the performance but if you allow them to examine the props in one effect the later do an effect they can't examine it may be problematical.

For this effect I structured the routine so that the last penetration takes place as they hold the ring. I put the lace away in my pocket as they hold the ring. They will usually take a quick look at the ring and tug at it to ensure there isn't an opening. That way they get to inspect the ring without me asking them to inspect it. I don't think they ever suspect the lace.
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:42 am

Please allow me to add that in some cases, handing a prop to a spectator can be a needed distraction which allows you to make a switch, rid of something, or do whatever you need to while the spectator(s) are busy.

So, if it serves a useful purpose, then examination can be helpful.

Randy

Post by Randy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:46 am

Just another quick point. Earlier Victor made a point about whether this was "ring on lace" or "lace on ring". I think you should highlight the clean prop. If your ring is gimmicked structure your presentation as the lace penetrating. If your lace is gimmicked highlight the ring penetrating.
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:52 am

I never expect that a ring and a shoelace can lead to such long discussions :) :) :)