Master of Chance by Lubor Fiedler

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
John B.
Charter Member

Master of Chance by Lubor Fiedler

Post by John B. » Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:57 pm

Anyone here have Master of Chance by Lubor Fiedler? I think I finally figured this one out. If it works the way I suspect, it is very clever.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: Master of Chance by Lubor Fiedler

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:52 am

After watching the video of La Petite I also have a good idea of how it works. Looks good but a bit of a hassle to do the necessary move for someone with small hands like myself :D
I think it's also not that difficult to make for yourself - I have wooden triangular blocks from my son's children playset which I might use to try to make a version for myself ... .

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:06 am

I have the version of La Petite and I agree that the deceptive grip needs some practice
and a good distraction but the principle is simply clever & nevertheless ingenious 👍
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:41 am

Thanks both, and the 3-D printed version looks pretty good. Someday I may try to make my own version.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:00 am

It’s an interesting concept! I came across this free to 3D print version https://www.printables.com/model/328981 ... y-lubor-fi

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:07 am

I seriously need to convince our school principal to buy a high quality 3D printer (for my science classes of course ;) ).
By the way I just looked at the wooden blocks my son has but unfortunately the triangles aren't equilateral ... .

CollinW

Post by CollinW » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:23 am

PeterW wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:00 am
It’s an interesting concept! I came across this free to 3D print version https://www.printables.com/model/328981 ... y-lubor-fi
I'm printing a version I just designed to play around with. I hadn't seen this one, thanks for sharing it Peter!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:05 am

Ok I’m the guy who suddenly needs this effect!

Ordered it at the French webshop la-petite-boutique-3d-de-lea

I don’t know why I did that, but I felt I couldn’t live without this effect, that intrigues me for a while…

I understood that a certain secret move is necessary…

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:24 am

I've been meaning to design my own version of this trick for some time, but I am not sure how easy it is to do the necessary move. I'm not an expert at sleight of hand...

CollinW

Post by CollinW » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:53 pm

Here's my first attempt. Just a super simple design to play around with. ;)
fr_3463_size880.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:55 pm

This handling with marking on one block helps for the secret move

https://youtu.be/_XrpWy20alc

CollinW

Post by CollinW » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:42 pm

Here's another test print again printed in rough quick draft mode, it's the version that Peter shared a link to. I still need to print the colored panels.
Tri-color.jpg

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:05 am

Collin, superb as usual :)
This is diabolically clever, but absolutely NOT mechanical in nature as some might suspect. Just saying ... . On the positive side it is 101% examinable before, during and after the effect :)

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:38 am

It is clever, but it seems to me that the performance video from "Totally Magic" makes it look slightly better than in real life. In his video, the "spectator" chooses green, and "coincidentally" that is also the frontmost color of the block that the performer chose. In reality, the performer might need to rotate the whole thing before lifting the cover to reveal the similar choice, so there can't be any focus on the frontmost color until after.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:25 pm

Ok, so I had to make a quick design myself as well. Looks similar to the one at printables, but I made the blocks as one part with recesses for the color panels:

master_of_chance.jpg

Didn't make any decorations on the tube, though. Might add that if I decide I will use this trick. As of now, I'm still not convinced. The spectators knows that the chance of a hit is 1/3, and that means it wouldn't be convincing without repetition, but repetition also means repeating the suspicious part (i.e "the move").

CollinW

Post by CollinW » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:57 pm

ØyvindK wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:25 pm
Ok, so I had to make a quick design myself as well. Looks similar to the one at printables, but I made the blocks as one part with recesses for the color panels:

master_of_chance.jpg

Didn't make any decorations on the tube, though. Might add that if I decide I will use this trick. As of now, I'm still not convinced. The spectators knows that the chance of a hit is 1/3, and that means it wouldn't be convincing without repetition, but repetition also means repeating the suspicious part (i.e "the move").
Looks good. I kept one top piece separate and merged the other top with the block body, that way the top and bottom surfaces look the same after printing.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:06 pm

In my case, the top and bottom surfaces are slightly different, but I don't think that really matters here. The tricky part is to do the move, and to do it more than once without raising too much suspicion. After all, there isn't really any justification for why the performer should need to lift the topmost block after the initial reveal of a color match.

I know that in the video by Totally Magic there is a justification because of the sticker he placed on the block, but that's probably not going to fly multiple times. I'm convinced he cheated too, by the way, He did not do the move, even if he claimed he did. You can see a corner of the block in his hand all the time, and there's no move being performed, so he plainly staged the performance to make it look better.

CollinW

Post by CollinW » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:14 pm

ØyvindK wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:06 pm
I know that in the video by Totally Magic there is a justification because of the sticker he placed on the block, but that's probably not going to fly multiple times. I'm convinced he cheated too, by the way, He did not do the move, even if he claimed he did. You can see a corner of the block in his hand all the time, and there's no move being performed, so he plainly staged the performance to make it look better.
I'm convinced there was a video edit.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:20 pm

Could be that as well, of course. No matter what, he cheated to make it look better, and I don't like that. It's the same with the performance at the french shop La-Petite-Boutique where Olaf bought his. He also staged it to avoid doing the move at all. I also think his props are way too sharp, some fillets and chamfers make the props look nicer and feel better when being handled.

CollinW

Post by CollinW » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:29 pm

ØyvindK wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:20 pm
Could be that as well, of course. No matter what, he cheated to make it look better, and I don't like that. It's the same with the performance at the french shop La-Petite-Boutique where Olaf bought his. He also staged it to avoid doing the move at all. I also think his props are way too sharp, some fillets and chamfers make the props look nicer and feel better when being handled.
I agree, my first version was too sharp as well. The version Peter linked to and your version are much nicer.

CollinW

Post by CollinW » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:41 pm

I've been printing with different color combos to see what works best. I think I prefer the Red, Green, Blue panels versus the Silk Gold, Silver, Bronze.
Master of Chance colors.jpg

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:02 pm

Nice work Collin with the rounded edges!

I would prefer red, yellow and blue, although your dark blue and light green contrast good enough to discern them…

CollinW

Post by CollinW » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:44 pm

Rob Rand wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:02 pm
Nice work Collin with the rounded edges!

I would prefer red, yellow and blue, although your dark blue and light green contrast good enough to discern them…
I tried printing with some yellow I had on hand but it came out too transparent, you could see where the glue was applied. Luckily I was able to remove it and replace it with a more opaque color.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:44 am

I performed this last night, and I partly failed. I did it twice, using two different methods, but the first one failed. I suspect the spectator did something she should not have done while I had my back turned, because I heard someone else in the audience suggest she should do that. Even if she did, I could have recovered if I had kept my cool, but alas I did not.

The second demo worked out as intended, where I essentially did it as in the video by Totally Magic, except I of course had to actually do the move.