Think-A-Drink double shot

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
SimonC
Global Moderator

Think-A-Drink double shot

Post by SimonC » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:12 pm

I find myself in the pub again, and as always I have brought some magic to practice (in lieu of friends). Sometimes repeating a trick several times in practise can help one see it differently. Something clicked tonight with think-a-drink (the thinking mans drink-based trick)
I don't have a victim to film it with tonight but I'll try and record it 'in situ' soon. the trick runs exactly as normal but it has a different (and if I say so myself rather spiffing) reveal.

I'll only say this as a teaser...
not everyone will be able to do it, but you won't need to bring anything else with you when you leave the house for the pub...
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: Think-A-Drink double shot

Post by SimonC » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:53 am

Ok guys here is what all the fuss was about...

http://youtu.be/f_Ehi9RS4eQ

This video is more of an explanation than a performance but you'll get the general idea. A few fluffs but the concept and application work really well with Johns masterpiece. The trick itself is exactly the same (why mess with perfection right) this is just a natty method of revealing your spectators chosen drink with a prediction you made before you even got TAD out of your pocket.

Have a look and a laugh at my silly British accent.

Si
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:37 am

Now that is absolutely fantastic! Unfortunately I don't own an Iphone or any smartphone for that matter. Now I have a reason to buy one I suppose :)

Great job Simon!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:31 am

First off I love the English accent, we never heard you speak before.

What fun our convention will be with all the different accents. I'll bring my heavy New York accent.

The filming in the cabinet is brilliant. I love the opening with the opening of the door.

The addition of the iPhone is great as well. I think for many it may be too complicated to set-up but for sure it is worth the effort.

I do not have a smart phone either, in fact I don't have a mobile phone at all and I am not joking.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:53 am

Fantastic idea Simon!.....the name of the App is Doodle?

This is an App for magicians?

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:54 am

Yes the reveal of my silly voice is also an FSO exclusive! As far as the rest of the internet is concerned I could sound like Morgan Freeman.

The app actually has very comprehensive instructions and is really easy to use, I've since changed my secret selection grid to match the menu card.

There are some fantastic magic apps out there, I will put together a top 5 list soon as you can turn your phone into your secret weapon. There's even a very sophisticated (and expensive) Thumper app which is like having a team of invisible ninjas.
Last edited by SimonC on Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:58 am

Hi Roberto, I totally forgot to put the app name!
iDoodle is the code name, if you search for it you'll just find doodle apps.
What you need to search for is an app called iForce. The creator (Grigor Rostami) has a range, I also have iPredict (I'll let you discover that one for yourself) (and I'll stop overusing brackets)
They are apps designed specifically for magicians, there are lots of magic apps out there but these are very sneaky, excellently programmed and really cool :)
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks for the tutorial Simon. Really interesting to see how sophisticated is the technology nowadays. I use Samsung Smart Phone and maybe doable also to perform this trick. I`m not really fan of magic with Hi-Tech but maybe I should try. I really like the opening of the video, I just wonder if you were somewhere in the magic shop. But it is in front of your beautiful magic cabinet. Wow....it is always fun to see all props together in one place as happy family :) The second thing I really love is your wallpaper photo with mystic Ruby. He is absolutely super cute boy at his age. You both are perfect couple ;) 3rd thing that I like that finally I can hear your voice at the first time :) it was beyond my expectation. You are more quite than I expected :D But overall...great video, great tutorial, thanks so much for sharing this.

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:54 am

Great video and tutorial Simon,i have a Samsung smart phone coming soon so i will look out for these Apps :D

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:03 pm

OK thank you Simon.....now I found it!!........I was looking for doodle with no results.......

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:27 pm

that's part of the sneaky wonder of the trick, when your spectator tried to find it on the App Store they can't!
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:21 pm

As a gadget freak - I believe I have my 7th smarphone now - the LG Nexus 5 - this appeals very much to me.
Hope there will be similar apps for Android?
I did understand most of your explanation, simply said it is a way out method, but the way outs are cleverly hidden from the audience.

And, I like your voice, I can listen to you the whole day ! :)
The only thing I missed, was a Monty Python joke :)

Wish I was a native English speaker, sounds way cooler than that crazy Dutch ;)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:45 pm

especially for you rob, here's my all time favourite python skit, two mates being daft and making each other laugh, what could be better.
no one does silly like us Brits :)

http://youtu.be/CVJ-W6LioB8

happy weekend all
Now you see me...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks for the video link Simon, yes only the Brits can be that silly! Love it my whole life British humor, it makes life more bearable That sketch is a good start of the weekend! Beeeeeeh ! :)

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:41 am

don't forget Mr Bean too lol, great video by the way Si.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:52 pm

I used to work with a load of Brits when I was deployed. The mere mention of Mr. Bean to them made them cringe, lol. So they made us watch a bunch of Bo Selecta and Little Britain.

Everything the Brits do is great. The US desperately needs a BBC
Rob Rand wrote: Wish I was a native English speaker, sounds way cooler than that crazy Dutch ;)
At least you HAVE an accent :P
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:02 pm

In England I don't really have an accent, except when I'm pissed off then I go a bit essex. Bo selecta is great, Michael Jackson is my favourite from there. I have to say, we're crap at a lot of things but we do comedy very well, and I'd say we're on a par with the US for music.

Netflix has a lot of great British comedy but I don't know if it shows up in the US.
You gotta laugh in this world, at least once a day. Even if you're nowhere a tv a well timed fart can do wonders.
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:11 pm

SimonC wrote:In England I don't really have an accent, except when I'm pissed off then I go a bit essex. Bo selecta is great, Michael Jackson is my favourite from there. I have to say, we're crap at a lot of things but we do comedy very well, and I'd say we're on a par with the US for music.

Netflix has a lot of great British comedy but I don't know if it shows up in the US.
You gotta laugh in this world, at least once a day. Even if you're nowhere a tv a well timed fart can do wonders.
Michael Jackson had us Americans on the floor. 'The News in Bits' had us all going, 'You can DO THAT?! On tv?!'

Not even just Comedy, the shows the Brits have on display are just amazing compared to what us Americans get. On top of that, you don't have to sit through 8 million commercials about cereal, tampons, and Verizon wireless.

My wife got me onto Sherlock and Doctor Who.

After that, I raised my fists to the sky and declared that the Americans are doing TV wrong.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:24 pm

I'd say you've got drama and suspense sewn up, breaking bad being a case in point, I binged on that. Sherlock tho, what a show, I love it. Fun fact, I've worked on two projects with Martin freeman (Watson) I did SFX for the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy movie, and I was an extra in tv show he was in and was in a scene with him (I say in a scene, I walked across the bar to the toilet). It was a favour to a mate. Had a chat with him briefly, very nice bloke.
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:12 am

Rowan Atkinson is great. Most people outside the U.K. know him as Mister Bean but don't realize he also made some great stage performances.

Here's an example, more can be found on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7OxTxAvvLw