What are you working on?

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
Brett H

What are you working on?

Post by Brett H » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:45 am

I know that we discuss and work with Tenyo to an untiring degree. Nothing wrong with that.

But are you working on something else in the magic world? Building a new trick? Making a routine? Working on sleights?

What are you working on at the moment?
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: What are you working on?

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:44 am

If I have cards in my hands I'm almost always 'perfecting' my Elmsley count, it's just fun to do :D

Besides that there are some quite old magic items I'd like to make a video of, but there's so little time ... .

And ... make a trick myself is also on the to-do list ... I even have a lot of 'building' material already (every time we visit what you guys call a 'dollar store' I believe or craft store, I get some stuff like balsa wood, mirror sheets, small vials, balls, glossy paper in different colors, small envelopes, small figurines and so on) , collecting dust ... .

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:12 am

I`m still thinking the scenario of routine on how to combine 2 sets of Tenyo Mystic Scope (to get more frames) in order to fit the all 7 Tenyo Unusual Suspects and get a great story and magic out of it. I know Simon came up with a great routine with Silent Witness ;)

David, funny that you mentioned that. Today morning I took 4 business cards into the meeting room and guess what I did to kill the boring time ;)
Last edited by VictorS on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:15 am

Funny you both mention the Elmsley Count because I'm trying to work in an Oil & Water routine that starts with...an Elmsley Count.

I started on it not too long ago, so it looks really bad.
Where's my colon?!

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:22 pm

What am I working on? Too much! It's best to work on one thing at a time so you can perfect it and then move on to the next thing. I used to be better at that. Nowadays, I move on from one trick or thing to another which does not allow me to achieve my intended goals for quite some time if at all.

I had this conversation with David Roth a few years back and he agreed that one thing at a time is the way to go. I am sure that is how he got as good as he did with coin magic.

The bottom line is that I like to play with my magic toys! :D

Perhaps I should attempt to focus on just one trick for the next few weeks. Wish me luck! :lol:
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:20 pm

I'm planning my escape from academia!
I have a multiple out trick I'm working on, I set myself a challenge which may take me a while.
I'm also developing my treasure hunts, I have a cool idea I hope I developnover the next year.
Designing a new deck.
Growing my hair.
Trying to teach the children of Essex some manners (that's the trickiest one)
Now you see me...

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:33 pm

I can verify that Simon is working on all those things since I just saw him tonight at The Magic Circle. Came away with two swell tricks! :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:45 am

Hah yes, that was pretty much a run down of my talking points! hope I wasn't too heavy on the teacher moaning! My hair has now taken on a life of it's own and has it's own post code and currency.
Richard and I had a great chat last night and were joined my Angelo Carbone which was brilliant :)
Now you see me...

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 am

oh wow you 2 guys got 2 meet up and chat, how cool is that. :)

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:23 am

Although it may be a difficult feat due to Tenyo Forum members living all over the world, it would be a very cool thing if we could somehow have a get together!

Imagine the fun and frolic we would experience at a Tenyo Magic Forum Conference!!!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 am

A while ago we had hoped to meet up in Amsterdam :)
Now you see me...

bradtoulouse

Post by bradtoulouse » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Here in Canada we are celebrating our 150 year birthday!
I am working on a show to use at libraries and festivals....calling it "The Great Canadian Magic Show"!!!

Some of the effects include:

Miser's Dream with Canadian loonie and twoonie coins which transform into chocolate coins!
Couple of hockey themed tricks (Cords of Phantasia using a mini hockey stick, pucks w/ holes drilled through them, and skate laces...and an NHL themed Stratospheres!)
Niagara Falls routine (empty cups in which water appears, increases in volume, then transforms into an 18" fountain erupting from one cup)

As well as several other Canada themed tricks!!!

CollinW

Post by CollinW » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:21 am

I'm working on a version of Devil's Dice but using 1" hollow cubes. They'll be painted all black and have painted edges. Also going to try using 1" wooden die blanks and bore thru one side.

lnlver

What are you working on?

Post by lnlver » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:41 pm

I'm currently working on a wood version of Øyvindk's Ribbon Clock Time Machine. And after that, my version of Jimmy King's Block Box. I have an idea for a new trick in the vein of Tenyo's Mystery China Cabinet, but I need some assistance in the field of electronics.

Ralf R

Post by Ralf R » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:10 am

I am working on a self-made version of the Mini Substitution Trunk Trick ("Fluchtkiste") by Wolfgang Grosskopf. I love this little "old school" close-up illusion but I didn't manage to get it on the second hand market. I took the dimensions and details of the pieces from a book from W. Großkopf and ordered them as laser cuttings (made of acrylic glass). It's far more amount of work than I expected and acrylic glass might not be the most appropriate material for it. But the box is almost finished, and I am momentarily meditating on the decoration of the sack.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:29 am

Great to hear Ralf! I am the lucky person who owns a very nice version of this item,I made a video of it on my youtube channel. Besides I also have all three Grosskopf books.

Good luck with assembling this adorable effect! Maybe you can place a picture here when you've finished it!

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:58 am

Rob, I just watched your video of that trick, because I had completely forgotten about it. Now I am tempted to make my own! I do have a fairly good idea how it works, I think.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 am

Yes Øyvind, it’s not too complicated to figure out ... Will be a nice project for you to make it with your 3D printer :)

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:21 am

Rob Rand wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 am
Yes Øyvind, it’s not too complicated to figure out ... Will be a nice project for you to make it with your 3D printer :)
Yes, I see how it works, and it is indeed a rather easy project to make, but it would be nice to come up with some improvements as well, perhaps especially when it comes to unwanted sounds from the bottom part.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:31 pm

Guess what I am working on? Give up? Getting rid of a stack of magic props I don’t need so I can make room for more. :D

Anyone want to help with my endeavor? :(

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:53 pm

Ya I would be happy to help you relocate anything free you don't want to my mailbox.
But then I'll have to get rid of something to make room. :)
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:04 pm

I think they call that a trade. Hysterical

Ralf R

Post by Ralf R » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:17 am

Rob Rand wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:29 am
Great to hear Ralf! I am the lucky person who owns a very nice version of this item,I made a video of it on my youtube channel. Besides I also have all three Grosskopf books.

Good luck with assembling this adorable effect! Maybe you can place a picture here when you've finished it!
Thank you, Rob :) . I'll try my best and maybe I'll dare to show the final product here ;) .
Yes, I watched your video(s) several times - one of the reasons why I wanted to have my own Mini Sub Trunk ;)
I have two of Grosskopf's books - they provide a wealth of inspiration.

Ralf R

Post by Ralf R » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:27 am

ØyvindK wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:21 am
Rob Rand wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 am
Yes, I see how it works, and it is indeed a rather easy project to make, but it would be nice to come up with some improvements as well, perhaps especially when it comes to unwanted sounds from the bottom part.
Yes, this would really be an ideal 3D-printing project. And there certainly is room for improvements - I used some tiny pieces of felt to deal with with the "noisy" bottom part.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:16 am

Ralf R wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:27 am
Yes, this would really be an ideal 3D-printing project. And there certainly is room for improvements - I used some tiny pieces of felt to deal with with the "noisy" bottom part.
Yes, that might be enough to dampen the noise to an acceptable level. Other than that, talking over it is always a good idea, of course.