Is this trick available?

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
Jason

Is this trick available?

Post by Jason » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:48 pm

I've seen David Kotkin do this trick where he has a spectator choose a card, and then a scorpion finds the card. I noticed in both cases, he told the spectator to pick up the scorpion; and when she finally went to do it, he told her not to and says something about lawsuit. I'm talking about Copperfield, but I like to use his real name. Anyway, was he really worried about a lawsuit if the spectator would've gotten bit; or was it some sort of fake scorpion that could've given her an idea as to how the trick was done if she would've handled it? I've been wanting this trick for awhile. Is it available?
God bless, Jason Irelan

Brett H

Re: Is this trick available?

Post by Brett H » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:37 am

If it's by Copperfield, I highly doubt it'd be available--legally. After a bit of reading, it sounds like you'd need to know not just the trick, but actual handling of love scorpions.

Nooooooooo thank you!

As for the trick itself, it sounds like it would utilize some commonly known methods...and the addition of a scorpion.

But being unable to find a YouTube clip of the trick, I can't speculate too much on it.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:36 am

If you bought a scorpion you'd also need the appropriate paraphanalia to care for it and feed it etc. That would probably cost quite a bit. If you have an iPhone you could buy the app 'my pet boris' which makes it look like a spider is walking across your spectators hands then actually appears (fake spider)
Now you see me...

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:13 am

Not all scorpions have dangerous bites. A bark scorpion is about the most dangerous one. I'd only want one if I knew how to do the trick; and if it dies, which most pets do within an owner's lifetime, I'd just go to the pet store and get another one.
God bless, Jason Irelan

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:37 am

I never see Copperfield perform this. Any link(s) available on the tube?

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:46 am

I couldn't find any. I suppose your best bet would be to go see him if he comes to your home city to perform. He'd probably do it again. I read that a Mexican magician sold it to him. It would be nice if I knew who that Mexican magician was.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:00 am

The guys name is 'Joaquin Kotkin'. Not his actual name, but that's what he goes by. So there's that.

Tried searching for the trick on YouTube. I don't have enough breadcrumbs for this one. I can't find it.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:05 am

Whenever I hear that name is just imagine someone called Joaquin Noff
Now you see me...

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:15 pm

I saw Copperfield perform this in his stage show. I thought it was the weakest effect in the show. I don't think it is a good trick and definitely not a good trick for you Jason.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:53 pm

Whether you think it's a good trick or not is irrelevant. I would still like to know how to do it.
God bless, Jason Irelan

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:23 pm

Oh boy ... :roll:

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:38 pm

Jason,
On this forum (and indeed in general) no one's opinion on an effect is irrelevant and it is incredibly rude to suggest that it is.
You have been offered numerous kind and supportive suggestions to help you with your magic and I would thank you to recipirocate accordingly.
This forum is a rare thing on the internet, a community of friendly users who go out of their way to help one another and we are very proud of that fact.
You are welcome here as are all new members, but please consider what you choose to write in the future. It is fine to disagree by all means, but to say someone's opinion is irrelevant (especially an accomplished magician and creator) is not acceptable.
God bless.
Now you see me...

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:26 pm

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was saying I would like the scorpion trick if the price of the trick itself isn't too high. When I get told that it's not a good trick by someone, they can feel that way all they want; but I'd prefer to decide for myself whether a trick is good or not. I grew up watching David perform every year and always wanted to be able to do a lot of the tricks he does.
God bless, Jason Irelan

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:27 pm

You are free to disagree with me, but I am trying to give you some advice. Also, please keep in mind that people are trying to help you on this forum- copying a signature trick, mind you one that isn't for sale (as performed by Copperfield) does not help you find your own voice or style. You will just be a copycat performer.

The advice as posted above is much more helpful- Simon suggested you check out My Pet Boris which is way more practical (and you can perform it in your own way).

If you want a pet scorpion that's your business, but I am pointing out that trying to perform a magic trick with a scorpion is a travesty of the Copperfield performance. How would you make this effect better, what is the justification for using the scorpion to find the card, what is the story, etc?

There are plenty of ways to find a spectator's card- I would start by thinking of a unique presentation/method to do this that is reflective of your presentation style and personality. Anything less, is just going to be a poor imitation of a well-accomplished and world famous magician's performance.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:44 pm

The scorpion trick is not and never will be for sale. It is the property of those who created it.

Even if you could buy it, it would cost many thousands of dollars and you'd have to learn how to raise and keep scorpions.

It's a weird fantasy.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Well I won't be paying Joaquin thousands of dollars fa trick I would just want to show to people.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Jason wrote:Well I won't be paying Joaquin thousands of dollars fa trick I would just want to show to people.
God bless, Jason Irelan

I'm not TOO big on card tricks, but I think one of the best card routines I have seen was 'Tiny Plunger'.

And Tenyo made 'Magic Plunger' last year, which is almost the same thing--but much less expensive. I'd recommend giving that a look.
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:04 pm

I saw Kotkin doing another one that looked pretty good. It's where he tore some playing cards and made them penetrate each other. This was years ago when he was very young.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:19 pm

Jason wrote:I saw Kotkin doing another one that looked pretty good. It's where he tore some playing cards and made them penetrate each other. This was years ago when he was very young.
God bless, Jason Irelan
At this point, which Kotkin?

Also, as stated earlier; I know you like Copperfield's material, but utilizing another performers tricks, ESPECIALLY ones that aren't sold in the market, is in bad form.

The ONLY tricks that I know of that Copperfield has sold (or at least put his name on) is his book for Project Magic, which (last time I checked) goes for $38. I'm getting the book later this year, as that's something I eventually want to be involved in.

Have you considered looking up some of the tricks by some of his staff? Namely Chris Kenner and Homer Liwag?

But as for tricks of Copperfields on the market? You're not going to come up with anything.
Where's my colon?!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:46 pm

Jason wrote:I saw Kotkin doing another one that looked pretty good. It's where he tore some playing cards and made them penetrate each other. This was years ago when he was very young.
God bless, Jason Irelan
It`s Paul Harris Immaculate Connection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GmhZUK4WrA
We can find it in a magic book "New Stars Of Magic" This is a great impromptu linking cards effect ever created. No wonder David Copperfield put this into his show.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:03 pm

That's the one. How much would it cost to learn it?
God bless, Jason Irelan t

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Jason wrote:That's the one. How much would it cost to learn it?
God bless, Jason Irelan t

Ballpark. $20
Where's my colon?!

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:00 am

It's in that magic book "New Stars of Magic." Does the book have good picture illustrations and easy to follow instructions? Also, is the trick that David did in that video easy? Or does it require difficult sleight of hand moves? I know how his trick works where he shows a piece of paper and changes it to a rose works; and to me, that's a difficult trick to do.
God bless, Jason Irelan

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 am

Jason wrote:It's in that magic book "New Stars of Magic." Does the book have good picture illustrations and easy to follow instructions? Also, is the trick that David did in that video easy? Or does it require difficult sleight of hand moves? I know how his trick works where he shows a piece of paper and changes it to a rose works; and to me, that's a difficult trick to do.
God bless, Jason Irelan
Yes it has. All tricks you mentioned required lots of practice to perform it smooth and natural.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:40 am

Reminds me of something a guy in a magic store used to say to people who might be interested in a trick that required practice and lots of it. Practice, perfect, self-denial.
God bless, Jason Irelan