Magic Cubelise (EZ Magic)

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
KirkW

Magic Cubelise (EZ Magic)

Post by KirkW » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:42 pm

Here is a cool vintage E-Z Magic piece called “Magic Cubelise.”

You place a coin on the black plastic plate. Now cover the clear cube with the larger green tube and place both on top of the coin. Make a magic pass and lift off the green cube. The coin appears to have vanished as the clear cube can be seen to be empty.

This is higher end version of the vanishing coin rings that come in many magic sets.

This is the first one I have ever seen and unfortunately, is no longer available.

It looks very much like a Tenyo piece so I thought I would share.
Just wondering if anyone else owns or has seen this particular version.
E3D92C83-52B6-4C02-91E9-BEE3C2BC9AD4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Magic Cubelise (EZ Magic)

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:24 am

Interesting variation, never seen before...

So the clear cube is not examinable...

But it is a cool vintage item for sure.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:57 am

Looks very nice. Very unique variation.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:16 pm

I always liked this trick (with the rings), so this is indeed a cool variant.

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:59 pm

I've seen this before, but never owned one. This is EXACTLY the type of trick that melts the brains of young kids for the first time, and gets them hooked on magic.

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:35 pm

I would have loved this trick as a kid. Heck, I love it as an adult! 😊
It’s too bad that it’s no longer made and near impossible to find now days. I was lucky to find this one 2nd hand.
Since I got it (about a week ago), I’ve been trying to come up with a method where the clear cube can been shown to be I gimmicked at the end to fool/surprise those in the know.

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:48 pm

I just performed this trick for my wife and adult daughter and it fooled them both.
This proves the point that just because an effect doesn’t fool we magicians (who know most of the secrets), doesn’t mean it won’t fool the general public.
I thought that even though I liked this trick, it was too simple to really fool anyone. Not only was I wrong, in this case, but it fooled two people who have seen a lot of magic and know a lot of the secrets.

It also reminded me how much I like performing magic and making people smile. I need to get back to doing this more.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:41 am

That is so nice to hear Kirk!

I have a very pro version of the ring, once bought in Luxembourg, must give it another try 😃

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:06 am

I love the effect with the rings too. I bought Alan Wong's version a few years ago. Has an extra feature to convince spectators. It is called Baby Jade Rings and Coins and a demo is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpnONKBqujk .
I must admit I bought it for WAY less than it originally sold for (which was about 99 USD).

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:03 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:06 am
I love the effect with the rings too. I bought Alan Wong's version a few years ago. Has an extra feature to convince spectators. It is called Baby Jade Rings and Coins and a demo is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpnONKBqujk .
I must admit I bought it for WAY less than it originally sold for (which was about 99 USD).
I see what you mean with the extra feature to make it more convincing...I have saw that video before but didn't noticed that.....very clever idea!

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:23 pm

I like the Baby Jade Rings but I still believe a more clever method can be devised. I will continue to think this one over. 😊