Wooden Coin Vases

Here you can discuss subjects such as Magic History, Magicians, Magic Books, Other types of magic and effects.
KirkW

Wooden Coin Vases

Post by KirkW » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:00 pm

I’m hoping someone can help identify this trick.
It appears to be some type of coin vase but it doesn’t have the center shell like the standard ball and vase. The top and base have an edge so, the way they fit together doesn’t look like a center shell would fit.
I did discover that the inside of the lid it metal so a magnet can stick to it. This also leads me to believe that this was designed to not have a secret center shell.
185772F1-62DA-4DD8-93B0-750F86194050.jpeg
9B414248-466C-42F4-9323-12569386B3E5.jpeg
I bought three of these as a set.
They are very well made of a finished dark, heavy wood (not sure what kind of wood).

I am assuming these were designed for a specific type of coin routine so I am hoping someone on this form has seen these and can shed some light on this effect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John B.
Charter Member

Re: Wooden Coin Vases

Post by John B. » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:10 pm

Never seen those before, but they look to be well made and a nice wood.

PeterW

Post by PeterW » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:30 am

If I was to make a guess, I would say that this is most likely crafted in Rosewood. But it’s interesting to hear there’s no shell? My first guess was that it’s missing, but because you mentioned that the lid has metal in it makes me also believe that it was crafted specifically to work with a magnetic coin. The ther question is how did they get the metal in the top? Can the top spire come off the lid? Interesting piece!

KirkW

Post by KirkW » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:51 am

Peter,

The metal piece in the lid is just a circular fitted metal disk. I don’t believe it is meant to come out.
The gentleman that sold me these had purchased a number of tricks from an old magician who stated he use these to perform coin routines. That’s about all the information I have at this point.
They are beautifully made. They look great in my display case but I would sure love to be able to put them to use.