Survivalist Tips

Here you can post information about anything that you think your fellow members will be interested in.
SimonC
Global Moderator

Survivalist Tips

Post by SimonC » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:32 am

Good morning all!
I've been a little off the grid of late, a combination of getting used to being a teacher again and turning a dusty old attic into an office to make space for mini-craze mk.2.
I should level out again soon and be back on form.
ince I had installed the window in the roof, I bought an escape ladder in case of emergency. this sparked a mild obsession and in the last week I have stock piled food rations, emergency mobile phones, drinking water, multi tools, hi-vis jackets, high energy biscuits, water purification, thermal blankets, hand warmers all sorts! I'm currently bidding on a self-inflating life raft on eBay. I believe it is a male form of nesting which women go through in pregnancy!
so do any of you chaps have any suggestions which would be useful in my go bag?
Now you see me...

BluBob

Re: Survivalist Tips

Post by BluBob » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:57 am

Beans, Canned Foods, Regular bleach, Matches, Manual Can Opener,Solar re-chargeable batteries, (especially for phone), and MRE's. An MRE can have a shelf life of up to ten years if stored at 60 degrees.
Last edited by BluBob on Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
and now, on with the show ...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:34 am

nice! thanks bob. yesterday I bought a leatherman OHT (one handed tool) it allows you to get out and operate all the tools (including pliers) with onehand. I'm currently trying to find a website I am order a stun gun from. I'm a lover not a fighter so a gun's not for me but I would like to be able to defend myself. I found some good sites but they're all in the U.S.
Now you see me...

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:26 pm

I deployed 6 times, and we now live in Texas: a state in which you need some sort of a 'tornado plan'.

Acquire some MREs (meals ready to eat). They are HIGH calorie military actions that are built so that a soldier in the field won't have to eat for the next 12-14 hours. Most of them are a bit...terrible. And what stinks is that whoever packs these things KNOWS it and packs 1 PER BOX, but made sure that Salisbury steak was 3 per box. Cruel joke. But since you won't have to be fighting for rations and can buy them. You won't have to make trades or eat them like a prisoner.

But having 6 deployments worth of experience with them. I would suggest the spaghetti ration above all else. Then again, I'm thinking of American MREs. Not sure what you Brits have in yours (I'm guessing they are all: tea, crumpets, and a Nuts magazine).

You have a multi tool now. Good choice.

Laundry bag, wipes, LED flashlight, maybe an extra set of jackets and warm thermal blankets.

I'd look into camping sites for some good ideas. Think of it like magic: what packs small, plays big?

Maybe a cot, sleeping bags, inflatable mattress, bottled water.

Just some ideas
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:48 am

thanks for the tips and vids guys, much appreciated. I'm picking up a liferaft today. I should elaborate that I live on a flood plane hence my nautical nuttiness.
Brett thanks for the heads up about the rations, nuts magazine is still going strong, i confiscate them from time to time just to keep abreast of what's going on in the world ;)
Yesterday I taught myself to take out a match and strike it in onehand, ive come up with a pretty good method.
No luck with the stun gun, I don't think they can be bought in the UK.
Again thanks for the heads ups guys, my wee family thanks you ;)
Now you see me...

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:39 am

SimonC wrote:nice! thanks bob. yesterday I bought a leatherman OHT (one handed tool) it allows you to get out and operate all the tools (including pliers) with onehand. I'm currently trying to find a website I am order a stun gun from. I'm a lover not a fighter so a gun's not for me but I would like to be able to defend myself. I found some good sites but they're all in the U.S.
http://www.defenseagainstcrime.com/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Stun-Gun-Buyi ... 653/g.html
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:03 am

thanks for the links richard, I just got my order together, ($40) made my way to the checkout, calculated shipping and.. $173 postage!! I had to bow out, but thanks for the link all the same, some informative stuff on there :)
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:15 am

Seems that you have a long list already Simon...how about first aid kit and general medicine or maybe also emergency contact no. ? Have fun mate, take care ! ;)

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:29 pm

:o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock:
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:43 pm

it's cool richard, I found another site called ioffer.com, there's a whole bunch of stuff on there :)
Now you see me...