Greetings from Los Angeles

After being approved to join this forum your first post should be a short profile about you and your Tenyo
MarkSoCal

Greetings from Los Angeles

Post by MarkSoCal » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm Mark and live in L.A., and happy to be part of this amazing forum!
Like bees drawn to honey, it was inevitable that I would find myself here among fellow Tenyo
collectors and enthusiasts!

Though not a magician by trade, I've been a fan of magic for years, and a great admirer of talented magicians.
Living in Los Angeles made the decision to join the Magic Castle an easy one, and I've been fortunate to have seen many great shows at the Castle, particularly in the Close Up Gallery and the slightly larger Parlour. Steve Valentine and Gregory Wilson are my favorites, along with Bill Malone and Peter Nardi.

In real life, I'm a photographer who specializes in shooting homes and gardens for magazines and book companies.I'm fortunate in that I get to travel to many areas around the USA for my shoots.....if I had to pick any area for a week/10 days of shooting, it might be New England in the Fall (I'm loving those amazing fish/lobster restaurants in Massachusetts and Rhode Island!)....I'll probably be there in September.

Tenyo hit me big time about a month ago, and I've been feverishly collecting ever since! About 10 days ago
I became aware of Richard Kaufman's Tenyo-ism book......I'm waiting anxiously for that one!!!!!
I'm sorry I missed out on purchasing the limited edition version with all the autographs and extra material!
That being said, I love reading as much as possible on the tricks that make it in my collection. I'm currently involved with learning the Sandwich Platter which I just got in the mail yesterday (in a very pristine box). This trick is quite wonderful in it's simple but ingenious method!....fun! Can't wait to perfect and try it out on on friends in the real world.

By the way, I think I need an 'off-site' PO box to receive my Tenyo goodies, and avoid the 'wife' interrogations of why I just received 6 very small and very light weight packages (eBay purchases)
from random people and random locales.

Anyway....great to be here (!), and special thanks to John M for all your assistance, and Simon in Australia
for our recent exchange of Tenyo themed messages.

See you!!!
Mark

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Los Angeles

Post by JohnM » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:22 pm

Welcome Mark not only to the forum but to the obsession with Tenyo.

This bit of info from the sister website will open your eyes on what is most likely to come. There is also a bit of info on what to tell your wife if she complains.

Have Fun
John

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:42 pm

Welcome!! You join us on our third birthday! You'll love it here!
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:16 am

Interesting stories, welcome on board Mark ;)

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:52 am

Greetings Mark,
You're in the right place. Have fun!
and now, on with the show ...

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:25 am

Hi Mark, welcome!

Maybe you can make astonishing pictures of Tenyo tricks? :)

A bit similar to the pictures Ted Tamburo makes of Magic Wagon items :)

Anyway, welcome! Ps I've been once to LA, amazing town! Less amazing were the firestorms :(

MarkSoCal

Post by MarkSoCal » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi Rob,
Nice of you to take the time to say hello! Yes the hillside fires can be a big problem when the humidity is low and the winds are blowing, and you live in the hillsides. Cooler where I am near Santa Monica (ocean breeze keeps us cool).
When I was younger and before I was married I did many trips to Europe. I met a Dutch family in Zermatt and they invited me to live with them the following summer for three months. The town was Amersfoort and it was an amazing experience! I really enjoyed the Dutch people (they all spoke perfect English!).
Lucky me....this family had three beautiful daughters!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi Mark,
That's great to hear! I happen to live nearby Amersfoort, it's a lovely town, especially because it is a fortress.
Yes I was in the USA during 1 month, already a while ago (1993), had a great time there, could stay there with a friend who lived in Orange County, nearby Laguna Beach. Met there a producer who came from Holland, bought magic tricks at Disneyworld, and Cd's at Tower Records ... memories memories...
I actually like it that I'm the only Dutch member here, I have no concurrence :) Although there are some Belgian members who speak a language that is very familiar to Dutch :)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Welcome Mark :)

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:50 am

Hi Mark,

I LOVE photographing Big Sur. Wife and I have made the trek every year for the last 15 years. I played the Monterey Blues Festival 4 times and love the area.

It makes me very sad (heartbroken for the people, and the landscape) to hear about the CA fires. I am in big hopes for winds/temp/humidity/the forces of nature, and the efforts of the firefighters to help bring a quick, and speedy suppression to this terrible situation.

Bob~
and now, on with the show ...