Richard W

After being approved to join this forum your first post should be a short profile about you and your Tenyo
Richard W
Global Moderator

Richard W

Post by Richard W » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:57 am

Hello

I have been playing with magic since I was 8 years old. I would go to the famous Bert Easley's Fun Shop every Saturday and ask the infamous local magician Jack Sutherland that worked there part time to help out to show me the many effects in the mysterious glass display counter. He would ask me what I had in my pockets. I would bring things out and he would do various feats of magic with them. It was truly amazing. I would take different things each time I went. Didn't matter what I had he would make it vanish, change into something else, end up inside something or another location in the shop. I was hooked for life on magic after seeing what could be done with ordinary things that other people had on their pockets.

They didn't have any Tenyo items. The stuff I got was usually Adams, Johnson, EZ Magic, Viking, all the trick decks of cards. He told me one time son you are wasting your money on all these cheap effects, they are ok but the real magic is in these books over here. He pulled out the Tarbell Course In Magic Vol 7 and said save your money and buy this book to start with it has a section on sleight of hand you will get more out of than all these over the counter toys. I learned the basic moves in front of a mirror for hours and amaze myself how good it looked.

I have always had interest in locks and keys so naturally I learn many escape tricks. Was able to pick locks with home made picks. Open Smith & Wesson double locking handcuffs with a small safety pin. Never put on any magic shows just did tricks for my family and friends but did become a professional locksmith. It is like magic and perform the mysterious art of manipulating their locks open and producing keys for locks without taking them apart. It looks like magic to most.

I sold all my magic tricks I had when I was a kid and now wish I hadn't. So I have replaced many I had and got many I wanted and could not afford then. I was late to the bar on getting Tenyo as I never seen any before. I was looking at old patents of magic effects one day and seen one for a cool looking box that had a coin inserted and then a key was stick through it this got my attention. Seen that it said Tenyo on the bottom of the patent. Hummm what is this I said, wonder if I can make one of these or maybe find one someplace. So did a search for Tenyo which lead me The Magic Cafe Tenyo section. Found out what this effect was called and to my amazement I could still buy this item named Zone Infinity. Then looked at the other things made by Tenyo. Found one that really was something I had to have that was Magical Door! This turns out to be my favorite Tenyo to this day.

I only get the Tenyo that I will use so my collection is no where near the number most Tenyo addicts have but I got the Tenyo bug and continue to get ones that intrigue me. John Mazza was one of the people I ran into on the Magic Cafe that had lots to say on what to look for and how to perform it differently. Had many add-ons he made to make them better. He has a vast amount of knowledge about Tenyo from how to start your collection, what you should look for first, what is the right price to pay, and how to repair ones that are broken. He has helped me out as he has many others. So glad to see he has his own Tenyo forum and web site now. I will never have the massive Tenyo collections most of you do but appreciate the many mechanical masterpieces they have created and like to share them with others.

Richard
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"