T-166 OH NO!

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-166 Oh No!

10 One of the Best
No votes
09 Superior
No votes
08 Excellent
10%
07 Very Good
15%
06 Pretty Good
30%
05 Good
5%
04 OK
25%
03 Not So Good
10%
02 Bad
5%
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 20

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

T-166 OH NO!

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:58 am

Name: Oh No! (or Oh! No according to Tenyo's official website)

T-Number: T-166

Inventor: Toru Suzuki

Year: 1994

T-166 OH NO! on PLANET TENYO

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: T-166 OH NO!

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:05 am

This is not one of my favourites, a bit too angle sensitive as far as I'm concerned. Kudos to Tenyo though for being so clever - this is indeed a very clever apparatus and I'm sure when performed in the right atmosphere could be a great litle 'thing' that amazes people, for a moment that is ... . Not really a magic trick, more of an optical illusion. I also present it like that, I show it in the best way I can, without arousing too much suspicion, and afterwards show how it is done. And the audience likes it :) For the reason of being 'so clever' I'm giving it a 7/10.

As an alternative I believe either the manual (I don't have it with me at the moment) or someone else suggested using a pencil in stead of your finger. [edit - video added]

What you could do is use the pen from Wandering Hole, push it through, show the illusion and in the end actually pull it apart after you have cut it into two.

Shan

Post by Shan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:59 pm

I like this trick a lot because it looks very magicy!
but I got quite a bit of audience that can tell whats going on, but still very fun to show,when I pull it out anyone would expect a magic trick.
in my opinions, its like cutting edge and bioshock.
I like to do this trick with a laugh:D

and great idea with the pen David!!!
not doing it with your finger makes it more grand and creates a more gimmicked illusion to the trick!

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:57 pm

Get ready for some blasphemy!

This is one of my least liked Tenyo tricks for a few reasons.
Just by the box art alone, it looks like a 'shock' trick meant only to get a surprise reaction from spectators.
This, Bioshock, and Ghost Card; shock tricks.

Of all the Prop magic Tenyo has, this is probably one of the most confusing looking. Tenyo seems to have a knack for subtlety with what they produce. And OH NO! seems way off from that target.

Finally, as David stated, it's more of an optical illusion. I don't think that OH NO! can be presented as actual magic or in a routine without arousing funny looks or skepticism.

It's a bit harsh, and I think it's because I'm only going to be performing for children and children's hospitals; but I do not see myself liking OH NO! or any shock trick.

I hope that this doesn't come off as firing wildly like Yosemite Sam. But Even when I first started looking at Tenyo, this was a trick that made it at the bottom of of my list fast.
Where's my colon?!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:27 pm

when I got oh no! I had the choice of it or cutting edge, two similarish effects. this focus on Tenyo inspired me to blow the dust off my oh no! and it's a fun curiosity, but performing it is a bit awkward and you need to superglue your spectators into place so the angles work. having said that it just a cool thing to own, and I'm looking forward to showing my boy when he's a few years older. one reaction I got a lot was "ahh it's a fake finger tip coming out the top" which I always find quite funny. i did once think there was scope to make a routine where you say "this is an old circumcision device, are there any volunteers in the audience? no? ok well I'll demonstrate with my finger". I reckon that'd get a laugh. I like mad inventions that make the world a little more interesting by their randomness and curiosity and oh no! does its best. even that bloody exclamation mark is annoying but somehow charming, much like the trick itself.
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:44 pm

It looks like an elite cigar cutter. So if we start the routine by cutting the tip of the cigar and clean it up and start the magic routine.....it would be more convincing. I love this because of the design and effect. It is very unique as Brett said. The scissors should look more realistic in my opinion.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:26 am

Ah, use it to cut a cigar, now that's an original idea :)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:01 am

VictorS wrote:It looks like an elite cigar cutter. So if we start the routine by cutting the tip of the cigar and clean it up and start the magic routine.....it would be more convincing. I love this because of the design and effect. It is very unique as Brett said. The scissors should look more realistic in my opinion.
Oh! that is a really good idea using it as a cigar cutter
Where's my colon?!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:42 am

The instructions state that you can roll up a dollar bill the long way and use it to cut that. It works better than a finger, and is even better if you borrow the bill.

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:03 am

All right. I think I may have figured a way to use OH NO!. It would be using more of the prop and not the illusion.
I found a site that does silk handkerchiefs with playing cards printed on them and that spurred this idea:

The idea would be that you present OH NO! Then you have your...magical prosthetic with the silk inside said prosthetic. At the same time, you pull out a small wood block and bite down on it, and you also have your other hand load the tube with the prosthetic (or just have the thing already in the tube). Then you 'cut your thumb' with the scissors. You open the tube and you dump out the thumb, take the block out of your mouth and produce the silk. You then ask in a voice that is holding back as much pain as you can if 'that is their card'.

Afterwards, you put the block in your mouth, put the thumb back in the tube and 'reattach' your thumb.

Can you have this magical prosthetic waiting in the upper tube above the OH NO! scissors?
Where's my colon?!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:21 am

What a great routine Brett! This needs a performance video, so I'm waiting for that :)

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:05 am

David DeTenyo wrote:What a great routine Brett! This needs a performance video, so I'm waiting for that :)
It'll take me a bit, but I'd be more than obliged to make it--but only if a thumb can comfortably fit in the tube, otherwise, the routine is toast
Where's my colon?!