T-145 Moonspinner

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-145 Moonspinner

10 One of the Best
No votes
09 Superior
No votes
08 Excellent
25%
07 Very Good
17%
06 Pretty Good
25%
05 Good
33%
04 OK
No votes
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 12

JohnM
Site Admin

T-145 Moonspinner

Post by JohnM » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:41 pm

T-145 Moonspinner

Name: Moonspinner

T-Number: T-145

Inventor: Tomoyuki Shimomura

Year: 1990

PICTURES of T-145 Moonspinner

VIDEO of T-145 Moonspinner
I could not find a video of the standard tan plastic Tenyo Moonspinner (Help Elliot). There were videos of Tenyo Elite's aluminum version and the white plastic version that comes in the Tenyo Magicworld Set, but none of those videos captured the optical illusion effect. The video made by Simon of his Mooncatcher shows the optical illusion well but please note that the finale of the trick is different than with the standard version.

T-145 Moonspinner on PLANET TENYO

SimonC
Global Moderator

Re: T-145 Moonspinner

Post by SimonC » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:39 pm

I really didn't get this trick until I tried it out. The 'moon' element was lost on me, i thought "this is a coin trick, why isn't it called money spinner?" But when I was testing the illusion out with my own eyes i suddenly saw it, the Moon! I think the original used money to make it more performable and interactive. When John suggested having the dot actually appear INSIDE the paddle it then became a 'catcher' and the moon element could come back into the patter. The illusion works just as well if you hold it towards the sky too. But so far my attempts to make the actuall moon disappear from the night sky have failed.
The illusion is great but you have to see it with your own eyes for the full impact.
Elegant in its simplicity
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:10 am

I love every paddle trick. This version is even better combining the magical effect with the optical illusion. The magic happens when the optical illusion become a reality. Really2 nice magical effect. Unfortunately I haven`t Tenyo version but the other version. Simon`s version is of course really2 nice one. if I could remember, it will glow in the dark and the story with the moon catcher was perfect. Great work Simon, as always ;) By the way, are you considering to reproduce it again Simon ?

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:13 am

For some reason I'm not into these paddle Tricks (sorry Victor ;) ) - If I perform them it just doesn't look convincing, but I should actually give it a try sometime, it's not because I KNOW what's happening the spectator sees it.
In any case for this reason Moonspinner is not one of my favourites, but I do think it's a great Tenyo item when performed right.

Shan

Post by Shan » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:42 pm

Same as David, I can't make it look good.... I feel like everyone can see what I'm doing when I'm practicing with it. This I have never shown it to anyone... I practice and it just doesn't look convincing enough in my opinion.
Love the idea behind the making a coin appear though

Brett H

Post by Brett H » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:52 am

This is one of those Tenyo that require some good practice with--like Burglar Ball, in order to make it look good. I'm not rating it only because I don't think my rating would reflect how good the trick is in the hands of someone experienced that can give a good accurate rating.

It CAN be good in the right hands, but I don't think this particular trick could be rated fairly, in my opinion. I also say this because I have tried paddle tricks before and I get thrown off because of the fast movements--I can't make it look good. But it doesn't make it a bad trick. Just not for me
Where's my colon?!