T-141 Mini-Zag

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-XXX ABC

10 One of the Best
14%
09 Superior
7%
08 Excellent
43%
07 Very Good
7%
06 Pretty Good
14%
05 Good
7%
04 OK
No votes
03 Not So Good
7%
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 14

JohnM
Site Admin

T-141 Mini-Zag

Post by JohnM » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Name: Mini-Zag

T-Number: T-141

Inventor: Shigeru Sugawara

Year: 1989

PICTURES of T-141 Mini-Zag

VIDEO of T-141 Mini-Zag by Magic Patagonia/Roberto

T-141 Mini-Zag on PLANET TENYO

Richard Kaufman

Re: T-141 Mini-Zag

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:53 pm

I've always thought that this is one of Sugawara's best creations and have performed it many times myself.

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:33 am

I love the above video. I have been using the (palm up) cupped hand method, and always wondered if I was creating maximum impact. In the above video the card is not pulled out too far. The (smaller, as compared to the open palm version) reflection of the finger is perfect. 3 cheers for this method.

Thoughts ...
and now, on with the show ...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:23 am

I think this is the most simple and ingenious zig zag illusion ever created.

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:42 am

Absolutely adore this trick. i bought this back in the day off of Stereo,and although i paid a fairly hi price i never regretted it. superb Tenyo micro magic at its best! .

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:45 am

Roberto's video shows an interesting way of doing it, but I don't think a spectator would be satisfied by only pulling out the card such a small amount. I've always done it palm up and pulled the center out more than halfway and it elicits real shock.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:48 pm

This is one of those tricks that can fool you whilst you're performing it. Love this trick as it packs so small and looks so innocent.
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 am

Great trick, but not one I perform often ... . Now that I think of it, I don't even think I performed it to anyone besides myself :oops: !
Must get this out of the cabinet and play with it ... . It's everything a Tenyo trick should be: self-working, baffling, special/out of the ordinary, nice and small, ... . The angles are pretty sensitive, but with some practice and audience management this shouldn't be a problem :)

Magicjoker

Post by Magicjoker » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:46 pm

Love this little trick done at the right timing and speed it gets that wide eye look

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sat May 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Hi again everyone,

After hours of trials and errors, finally I made it !! Today I like to share an idea of using Tenyo T-141 Mini Zag created by the Tenyo genius, Shigeru Sugawara in1989. The mini stage is an "add on" that I made myself to support the Mini Zag prop. It required a simple modification on the prop to support the illusion and with this "add on" we can perform it freely without support of both hands. In this routine I replaced the playing card with lady card which more fit into the stage illusion theme. You will realize the interesting part that not possible to be performed using the Mini Zag that I added a twist to show both sides of the cards. Unfortunately, considering some factors for this illusion, it required environmental setup, special handlings which probably not applicable for close up performance. But I hope you will love the idea and hope this will make Mr. Sugawara happy 🙂

Enjoy and wish you a great weekend !

Cheers,
Victor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH3d62G0p1s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VictorS on Tue May 18, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Mon May 17, 2021 10:01 am

I enjoyed a lot your mini stage performance Victor!!.....I think a lot Tenyo items are suitable for that, allowing to build a complete micro stage show :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon May 17, 2021 8:01 pm

This is a very beautifully adapted take on Mini Zag Victor! I can see that it must have taken you a lot of effort to accomplish this!

it's really nice, I only wonder if the original "gimmick" of Mini Zag got lost or not??? In that case, you actually changed the whole concept of this wonderful trick, which is of course a good thing!

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Tue May 18, 2021 7:16 am

Victor 🌼 once again a very nice video with a very special flair and nice platform ...
I haven't had Mini-Zag in my hand for ages and was never really excited about this trick.
As you wrote, it's probably usually only possible to show one side, but your version makes
that conditionally possible. I especially like the little laser light to cut up the sexy lady 😎

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue May 18, 2021 7:34 am

Rob Rand wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:01 pm
This is a very beautifully adapted take on Mini Zag Victor! I can see that it must have taken you a lot of effort to accomplish this!

it's really nice, I only wonder if the original "gimmick" of Mini Zag got lost or not??? In that case, you actually changed the whole concept of this wonderful trick, which is of course a good thing!
Thanks for great responses everyone :)

Hi Rob,
I never change the Mini Zag gimmick but I add something in order to make it "match with the stage in order to optimize the illusion since the original color of the MZ is different with the stage. This addition will show that this frame is "empty". After making the "addition" I jut put everything into the slot (base of the stage) and it is performable. If you have your MZ in hand, you will understand what I mean. But no spoiler here :)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue May 18, 2021 7:39 am

Olaf S wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:16 am
Victor 🌼 once again a very nice video with a very special flair and nice platform ...
I haven't had Mini-Zag in my hand for ages and was never really excited about this trick.
As you wrote, it's probably usually only possible to show one side, but your version makes
that conditionally possible. I especially like the little laser light to cut up the sexy lady 😎
Hi Olaf, it is not a bad trick actually, smart thinking I would say, but if you perform it too long, the spec will catch the secret. With the original one, we cannot show both sides but again I added here something to make the illusion possible. Not modifying the MZ gimmick or the stage, but again adding and hiding something ;)

Unfortunately this is only good for video. In the live situation the angle will be very tight.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue May 18, 2021 7:41 am

Roberto B. wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 10:01 am
I enjoyed a lot your mini stage performance Victor!!.....I think a lot Tenyo items are suitable for that, allowing to build a complete micro stage show :)
I agree Rob, Tenyo should make more props like this one. Really fits to our taste here...haha

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:15 am

When you have broken Mini Zag and try to find another solution :)
Hope you enjoy it ;)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/90MDPCWnQJ4