T-245 Ghost Lamp

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-245 Ghost Lamp

10 One of the Best
9%
09 Superior
18%
08 Excellent
27%
07 Very Good
18%
06 Pretty Good
9%
05 Good
9%
04 OK
9%
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 11

JohnM
Site Admin

Re: T-245 Ghost Lamp

Post by JohnM » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:03 am

Maybe the Red was English package and the Blue was Japanese.

Mine is red and I sold the blue one to Simon which I got in Japan.

I didn't think of adding it to the variations page on the website.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:53 pm

I just opened one of these in the Japanese box. There was no little year sticker on the box. It had a 2011 Tenyo News. The deck was red.

I am thinking that it's more probable that Tenyo would make them in only one color at a time. So, if I am on the right track, the blue ones came later and that point, they were no longer making English boxes.

I just dropped Tenyo an email and asked them. Hopefully, they will respond with an answer. If so, I will reveal what I learned here.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:02 pm

All Tenyo costs more in the UK and Europe than pretty much everywhere else in the world. You'll have to ask the magic dealers there why that is. The collectors over there have yet to catch on to the fact that prices have plummeted over the past few years for most older items. I think we could probably make a list of only 10 or 15 items that sell for more than $100 now.

In the US, "Ghost Lamp" came out when D. Robbins was still the exclusive distributor of Tenyo in the USA. Why they jacked up the price from $20 to $90 I have no idea. But now there is much more competition, which produces more aggressive and thus lower prices.

These days, the internet allows us to buy for the lowest prices directly from Japan. Why would anyone not do that unless you want to give your favorite magic dealer (brick and mortar, or online) some business, which I endorse.

The "year" stickers on new release boxes vary in color from year to year. For 2017 they are pink. I have also seen green, blue, and orange in other years.

You should not use the deck Tenyo gives you with "Ghost Lamp." Take a deck of Bikes and gaff it yourself. It's pretty simple to do.

One of the best uses of "Ghost Lamp" is the trick "Ghost in the Shell" by Kazuyuki Hase in Tenyoism (which combines it with the case from "Crash Dice." No playing cards necessary.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:03 pm

I was never interested in Ghost Lamp but now I read these posts AND saw that this item is still for sale at Magicshop.nl for the NORMAL price of 35 euro, I decided to buy it. I didn't unpack it yet, but I see the potential of it. Still for sale at Magicshop.nl by the way :)

Mid november Magicshop.nl will receive all 8 new Tenyos... For sharp prices. I believe I will order all 8!

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:18 pm

35 euros is an overcharge. It should be no more than $25.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:20 am

Ok Richard, but for instance Seo magic sells it for 60 $. I believe 35 Euro is the normal prize in Holland.

Richard Kaufman

Post by Richard Kaufman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:41 am

Ghost Lamp is still on the racks at Tenyo Magic Corners in Japan for under $25.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:47 am

25 USD in Japan, yes, but I think Rob is right and 35 EURO from a nearby magic shop with possible free shipping is a sweet deal, also taken into consideration this trick was sold for the double price in Europe not that long ago.
Good choice Rob, I might order an extra too :) I also like to support Magicshop.nl, very kind people who own the shop, always ready to help and they even gave me discounts on items in the past.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:13 am

Thanks David for your clarification! Yes while Dynamitemagic sells Ghost Lamp for 57,50 €, Magicshop.nl sells the Tenyos for the original prices without selling it suddenly for collectors prices!

EvanS

Post by EvanS » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:21 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:One of the best uses of "Ghost Lamp" is the trick "Ghost in the Shell" by Kazuyuki Hase in Tenyoism (which combines it with the case from "Crash Dice." No playing cards necessary.
Based on this post I actually picked up an extra Crash Dice, specifically to use with this method. This is Tenyo "Mash-up" at its best! I'm still plodding my way through the amazing Tenyoism and finding new bits of brilliance along the way.

My advice... if you truly love Tenyo, you will TRULY love Tenyoism.

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:12 pm

I am still trying to get Ghost Lamp with a BLUE deck. I just got another sealed one and this one is in the Japanese box and does have the green 2011 sticker on the front of the box. The last one I opened in the Japanese box had no sticker and the deck was red. I have seen a few opened ones in the English box and those decks were red.

I am attempting process of elimination and the one I have now is the third and most likely the last of the differences as far as I can see. That is, English box and two Japanese boxes; one with and one without the sticker. So...wish me luck! :D

I contacted Tenyo about this a while back but no response was given. Thanks Tenyo! :roll:

It's no big deal really but I have always preferred blue backs to red backs. I am speaking of Fox Lake, Bicycle, and other brands where only red and blue are offered.
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!