T-129 Mirage

This section is where members gather and provide a variety of information about specific Tenyo Magic Tricks

Please Rate T-129 Mirage

10 One of the Best
42%
09 Superior
8%
08 Excellent
25%
07 Very Good
8%
06 Pretty Good
8%
05 Good
No votes
04 OK
8%
03 Not So Good
No votes
02 Bad
No votes
01 One of the Worst
No votes

Total votes: 12

JohnM
Site Admin

T-129 Mirage

Post by JohnM » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Name: Mirage

T-Number: T-129

Inventor: Shigeru Sugawara

Year: 1987

JohnM
Site Admin

PICTURES of T-129 Mirage

Post by JohnM » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Re: T-129 Mirage

Post by Roberto B. » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:24 pm

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon May 05, 2014 1:36 pm

This is the first trick in the Focus On tenyo section I am giving a 10. Mirage needs litle to no explanation ... it is simply one of the best Tenyo effects ever developed. It is completely self-working, mechanical in nature and what's best, even people who own it don't fully understand how it works, it just does.
There will probably be springs in the case and springs can ware out over time and even rust, so it is important to store your Mirage well (as if a Tenyo collector wouldn't ;) ).

As with many Tenyo items (if not all) you really have to follow the instructions carefully. Roberto performs it very well: you have to push the card (apparatus correct side up!) in slowly and push like he does on his video (take card on the bottom and push down). What I have found out is if your Mirage doesn't work fluently from the first time you can always almost 'bend' the black card when you're pushing it 'through' - if you own the trick you'll understand what I mean (I hope).

I have heard of peoples Mirages brake so I don't perform this trick very often, and when I do I am always very, very carefull. Also, after use the black card gets worn/bend. My card has almost litle 'teeth' in them (I can't describe it better) and I performed this trick perhaps 10 times.

I don't believe in using Mirage in a real routine - it is just too delicate to use often and is great as it is. You can play with what you use to push the blade through of course, bills are great because organic. But you could also use a picture of a person - printed on both sides of the paper/thin cardboard. One picture is 'normal', the one on the opposite side is 'dead' and has a line of blood going through the middle ... . Turn over apparatus after you have inserted picture (misdirection when you take the blade) and you're ready to go. I think you get the point :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 pm

Yes this is definitely the most clever trick ever invented by Tenyo. The illusion is so perfect!
It is really a pity that you can't perform this over and over again, they really should have used better materials for such an awesome effect! But I believe this is an intrinsic delicate trick.

Sorry enough I don't own it. I just wonder how you peform this a second time immediately afterwards, just using the other side?

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Mon May 05, 2014 7:53 pm

What's really striking about this is how thin the case is. It is really a marvel of engineering!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon May 05, 2014 9:38 pm

Until this second, I totally have no idea how this thing works. I`m amazed with almost all of Mr. Sugawara`s creation, especially this one.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue May 06, 2014 4:20 am

Whoever is able to reverse engineer this trick is a real genius!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue May 06, 2014 10:55 am

Rob Rand wrote:... I just wonder how you peform this a second time immediately afterwards, just using the other side?
No, you perform just like the first time :) You can perform as many times as you want. When you push the black card at the end of the routine it resets automatically.

We just have to wait for someone's Mirage that brakes so he can take it apart and make a picture of it :ugeek:
Guys, I was just joking about Mirages braking easily, hahaha - got you didn't I? Now you all go play with your Mirages tonight, show it to everyone :twisted:

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue May 06, 2014 11:14 am

Rob Rand wrote:Whoever is able to reverse engineer this trick is a real genius!
John B. is a genius. He made a working prototype out of cardboard. We are not sure if the Tenyo version works the same way but what he made works well and I would think there are not too many ways that it can be done.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Tue May 06, 2014 11:18 am

David DeTenyo wrote:
Rob Rand wrote: We just have to wait for someone's Mirage that brakes so he can take it apart and make a picture of it
Gaz had said he had a broken one that he opened and took pictures of. He was going to share some pics but I never saw them.

Gaz do you still have the pics and if so are you willing to share them in the Members only section?

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue May 06, 2014 11:58 am

JohnM wrote:
David DeTenyo wrote:
Rob Rand wrote:

Gaz do you still have the pics and if so are you willing to share them in the Members only section?
Oh yes, please Gaz :roll: This reminds me at the time I just joined FSO and we had a discussion about wonder window.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue May 06, 2014 12:57 pm

JohnM wrote:
Rob Rand wrote:Whoever is able to reverse engineer this trick is a real genius!
John B. is a genius. He made a working prototype out of cardboard. We are not sure if the Tenyo version works the same way but what he made works well and I would think there are not too many ways that it can be done.
Wow, well done john! After making a working prototype, does it look like it would be possible to make a shallower version?
Kudos!
Now you see me...

gazpratley
Charter Member

Post by gazpratley » Tue May 06, 2014 2:19 pm

Yes I took a Mirage apart,a while back guys, I will re do some photos possibly tomorrow and put them on fso tenyo forum... Gaz.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue May 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Exciting Gaz!!!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue May 06, 2014 3:59 pm

Great Gaz, thanks!
John B., very excited to see your version too :)

kellebotond
Charter Member

Post by kellebotond » Tue May 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Looking forward to those photos!

This is one of my favorite Tenyo effects.
Tenyo Rocks!!! :–)
http://www.illuziomesterei.hu

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Tue May 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Excellent I will be happy to see one apart.
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Tue May 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Cat is out of the bag! Yes, I have been quietly working on a version of Mirage over the past year or so. I showed my first prototype made out of crude cardboard to John M. Since then, I have refined the mechanism a few times and am now on my 4th generation version. The latest internal mechanism is made out of metal, and the case is made out of wood. I would be curious to see the actual Tenyo mechanism.

The real genius is Sugawara- reverse engineering is so much easier than inventing or creating.

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 pm

Great work John B! The wood version must be coller than the plastic one. Can't wait to see your creation. ;)

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed May 07, 2014 2:45 am

Aaaaah John ... such a tease! ;) Can you upload one or a few pictures of your trick? You don't have to reveal the mechanism of course :)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed May 07, 2014 6:02 am

Gaz... thank you so much for breaking your Mirage to reveal the secret to us! That is a sacrifice we will never forget! :)

JohnB .... you really are a genius ... reverse engineering isn't that easy... that reminds me of a company in the 1980s that reverse engineered MS-DOS ... they put somebody in an isolated chamber, a computer programmer, and he wrote from scratch an operating system similar to MS-DOS ... That took him some months...

I believe your mind is full of gears and cogwheels :)