The Ribbon Clock Time Machine

This section contains the magic created by our very talented members.

Re: The Ribbon Clock Time Machine

Postby David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:17 am

Now that I come to think of it, the black one reminds me a bit of bakelite, one of the first synthetic materials used, so also 'authentic/old' and compatible with the 'grandfather' story :)
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

National Flag:
Belgium

Postby PeterW » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 am

ØyvindK wrote:Yes, of course I decide, but I'm also open for suggestions. I may not always be right, you know.

I made a minor change to the clock face, and rendered it in black with a red base:

render_black_and_red.jpg

I think it looks quite nice in this color combination, what do you think?

Oh Yeah, now that is beautiful! Just imagine this with a bright red ribbon, perfection! Nice work!
PeterW

National Flag:
Canada

Postby KirkW » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 am

The black and red design looks magnificent!
I too am interested if you make a small run of these.
KirkW

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ØyvindK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:56 am

Yes, a red ribbon will be perfect with the black version! I think that this will be the combination to go for if I decide to make more of these.

David DeTenyo wrote:The black - red is very nice indeed, however the brown one looks more 'authentic' ... tough to decide which one I prefer :)
By the way, the black one looks smoother along the edges, or does that have to do with the way you took/adjusted the photo?

I'm quick, but not THAT quick. :-)
I did not actually make a black version yet, as I wrote the image is a render, not a real photo. I'm designing in 3D, so I have the freedom to make photo-realistic images of my creations without making any physical parts.
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:05 am

Hah, that explains the ultra fast production of this new model indeed :D Thanks again for explaining :)
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

National Flag:
Belgium

Postby KirkW » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:15 am

ØyvindK,

It's hard to tell from the pictures but is the face of the clock (that is printed on paper) protected with a clear plexiglass insert?
KirkW

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ØyvindK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:44 am

KirkW wrote:ØyvindK,

It's hard to tell from the pictures but is the face of the clock (that is printed on paper) protected with a clear plexiglass insert?

No, I printed it on this paper:

https://www.herma.co.uk/product/outdoor ... m-a4-9500/

I see now that it isn't supposed to be suitable for inkjet printers, though. The sales person didn't mention that, even if I told him I was going to use an inkjet. :?

Another option is to just print on ordinary paper and laminate it, and then use double sided tape or glue to attach it, but that's a bit more work, of course. Or have someone print for me on the paper I have, just use a laser printer. That's probably the easiest. :-)
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby David DeTenyo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Does that mean we can add/change some text to the clock? I would love to have my grandfather's name on it :)
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

National Flag:
Belgium

Postby ØyvindK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:16 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:Does that mean we can add/change some text to the clock? I would love to have my grandfather's name on it :)

Well, yes I guess so. Either I'd have to print custom clock faces for people, or people could just print/make their own and replace the one that's there.

Another possibly interesting tidbit is that my grandfather actually was a watchmaker. :-)
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby BluBob » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:16 am

ØyvindK wrote:
David DeTenyo wrote:Does that mean we can add/change some text to the clock? I would love to have my grandfather's name on it :)

Well, yes I guess so. Either I'd have to print custom clock faces for people, or people could just print/make their own and replace the one that's there.

Another possibly interesting tidbit is that my grandfather actually was a watchmaker. :-)

==================================
I LOVE the Black/Red combination.

I would also vote for the more standard version of the white watch face with Black numbers. (printed on the paper which your posted.)

You might think about including a reverse watch face as an extra insert ...
and now, on with the show ...
BluBob

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ØyvindK » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:45 am

Providing extra clock face inserts is of course possible, but that means I'd need to laminate it (would make the face shiny, like there was a thin glass in front of it), and use double sided sticky tape to attach it.

I could of course also provide additional faces printed on the self-adhesive paper I have, but I believe removing it would likely damage it, so switching would be a one-way street.

I've also thought a bit about what could happen if/when I sell some of these. The inner workings will then be known by all buyers, and someone may steal the idea. But I guess that's always a risk.
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby PeterW » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:18 pm

Øyvind I don't think you need to worry about someone stealing the idea. Most here are friends and knowledgeable magicians, I have a good idea about how the trick is made, but because of your excellent 3D printing skills and the appearance of the props you created I wouldn't bother trying to recreate the effect. You could also sell it with a stipulation that the effect may not be reproduced. But again I think that is very unlikely from anyone on this forum.
PeterW

National Flag:
Canada

Postby ØyvindK » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Peter, you're probably right. While you may know how it's done, it seems a lot of other people do not, though. Anyway, I can at least ask buyers to keep the secret to themselves, even if that most likely is not necessary.
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby PeterW » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Hi Øyvind, You mentioned earlier that this creation is a prototype, I given it some thought and may have a small suggestion on how it may be improved although I consider it to be close to perfect already. I suggest if possible to put a small knob on the back side of the clock piece so that when you turn back time you can do it from the back and not block the clock face and the ribbon vanishing into the center piece. Small idea but I think it would be a nice addition.
PeterW

National Flag:
Canada

Postby ØyvindK » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:51 pm

I have actually thought of that too, and it isn't difficult to implement. It does slightly interfere with opening and closing of the rear lid, but nothing that can't be dealt with.

Thanks for reminding me of that!
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby KirkW » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:12 pm

These style clocks require a key in order to wind them up. So the turning mechanism in the back of the clock can look like a key.
KirkW

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Richard W » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Print the clock faces on gloss or semi gloss photo paper it is thick and sturdy and won't fade quickly and works well with ink jet printer. Make the key for the back removable that way it is realistic and you can remove the back with no problem.

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand." Kurt Vonnegut
Richard W
Charter Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ØyvindK » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes, photo paper is thick and sturdy, but still fades unless protected.
I think the best option is to print on normal paper and just laminate in plastic. I have a machine for that, so not really an issue. Just some more work...

When it comes to "turning back time" from the rear, sure I can make a key for that, but it will be one more component to print, and take even more time. And hence increase the price a little.

It easier to have just a knob of sorts, which protrudes just enough from a hole in the rear lid. That's of course also more printing, but slightly less than making a key.
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby ØyvindK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:38 am

I've changed my mind, having a small key is most likely the best way, but it will of course still be possible to just move the hand on the front directly.
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby Richard W » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:32 am

Regular paper sucks up the ink like a sponge making it not a sharp image has been my experience. HP Photo paper has way brighter color and sharpness and uses way less ink. I have lots of things I printed still look good no fading. Laminated is best as if it gets wet it ruins it.

Richard
Richard W
Charter Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ØyvindK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:53 am

I'll do some tests, but I'm going to laminate no matter which paper I use. In my experience, even regular paper looks quite good when laminated, but if not, I can of course use photo paper.
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby Rob Rand » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:07 am

I like the way it is now, why adding extra things like a key from the back, it's not a real clock, it's a magic prop, keeping it as simple as possible is what I like most. Concerning the printing of the clock face, it looks good the way you managed it.

And wonderful to see you got a great compliment from Angelo Carbone on The Magic Cafe! :)
Rob Rand
Charter Member

National Flag:
Netherlands

Postby ØyvindK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:19 am

Rob, I get what you say, but it is also true that your hand obscures the view if moving the clock hand from the front.

Some may like that, some may not. The key will be supplied as an accessory, and it is up to the performer if he wants to use the key or move the hand by hand. Since usage of the key is optional, I don't think it has any real downsides.

And getting a compliment from Carbone is of course very nice! :-)
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

Postby Richard W » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:58 am

ØyvindK wrote:I'll do some tests, but I'm going to laminate no matter which paper I use. In my experience, even regular paper looks quite good when laminated, but if not, I can of course use photo paper.

Photo paper is way more expensive to use so there is that. The thing I'm thinking about is the whole design is centered around the clock and time so I think the face should be made to the highest quality as it is the theme of the trick. If it is going to be changeable sturdy durable faces will be appreciated by the end user. The more you do the more it cost. The removable key in the back so you don't have your hand covering the front of the clock when the ribbon retracts is a must have option.
Richard W
Charter Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby ØyvindK » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:25 pm

I've made a black and red prototype now, and here are some pictures:

picture2-black.jpg

picture3-black.jpg

picture4-black.jpg

picture5-black.jpg

picture6-black.jpg

In these pictures, the clock face is printed on normal paper and then laminated. The surface finish of the rear covers are somewhat rough (and there are some other small flaws as well), so I will need to try tuning the printer a bit better. However, it is almost impossible to get it perfect, there will always be some imperfections.

I'm not sure that changeable faces is a big deal, so I'm thinking perhaps the user can do that themselves if they really want it.

And as you can see, a removable key has been added as well. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ØyvindK

National Flag:
Norway

PreviousNext

Return to Magic Creators