Magic Wagon: The Absconding Lycan

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Magic Wagon: The Absconding Lycan

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:14 am

Here it is: http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=141 .

A pretty 'simple' effect which most of us magic collectors know but it looks AWESOME in my opinion. This will play great for laymen and children who aren't familiar with other versions of this effect and with Halloween coming up this will be something I will actually perform :) What I like is that the Lycan covers most of the plexi glass so the 'movement' will not be noticed easily by spectators.

Another nice addition to the display cabinet but also a real performable effect in my opinion.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Magic Wagon: The Absconding Lycan

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:44 am

This is absolutely a great looking item, especially because it doesn't look like a magic prop but more like an ornament to put near the chimney. When guests watch it then you can come in action and perform the trick.They surely will be baffled then!

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:04 am

nice one. you could say it escaped because they used a gold chain instead of a silver one. silver bullets etc
Now you see me...

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:26 am

Everything was nicely made. No doubt for the quality of MW. But somehow I don't see any relationship between the plexi glass and the warewolf. I thought the idea was the warewolf who suppose to be the plexi and escape from the chain. Did I missunderstand the concept here ?

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:03 am

Yet I will not buy this one.In general, I don't like these ornamental tricks, but that is a matter of taste of course, they look too old-fashioned to me. Old school avant la lettre.
And yes, you have a point Victor.The plexiglass in the first place doesn't combine very good with an ornamental werewolf.And indeed it would be more logical if the werewolf were at the back instead of the plexiglass, and the front side were a piece of rock for instance. But that would not be possible because then the werewolf should *****.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:34 am

SimonC wrote:nice one. you could say it escaped because they used a gold chain instead of a silver one. silver bullets etc
Great point Simon about the silver. Little details like that are important. I think it should have been a silver chain to tie into the folklore of the werewolf. You could use your own silver chain but it would be hard to weave through the holes without a "needle" attached.

I think the Werewolf is too bulky you can barely see the plate. I think the Rope of Calcutta version of this trick has the perfect amount of imagery.

This iconic scene makes me believe that King Kong would have been a better choice. I don't recall any story line where the werewolf was chained up, but for sure KK was. If only Magic Wagon would have asked for input from Simon or myself the could have wound up with a prop that makes more sense in regard to the effect. Deja vue, I think I have said this before.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:58 am

Basically for me this is an ornamental piece that will leave my display cabinet around Halloween and will sit next to my wifes witches, pumpkin heads and spiders which she uses to 'dress' our living room up at that time of the year. It is almost more of an ornamental piece that can do a litle magic rather then a magic trick that's also an ornamental piece :)

Simons suggestion is great, brass doesn't work to hold the werewolf, silver would have worked.

Yes, it doesn't make much sense the plexi is pulled away from the werewolf in stead of the werewolf that escapes, but those of you who know how it works also know this is almost impossible to make that way (as in: 'the werewolf is pulled out').

John, your idea is great and the last picture would have been great to see in a miniaturized version, but it would have had the same problem with the escape sequence ... .

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:23 am

ooh... how about this.
On the plexiglass, you could print onto it and image of a man in the same position as the werewolf (smaller than the werewolf so there are no flashes.) you then chain the werewolf up and wait until day light (turn the lights on, light a candle, use a torch etc.) to 'Release' the man from the wolf. you could of course laser etch the man onto the plexiglass too.
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:11 am

Simon, that is one cool idea! Indeed the image should be (much) narrower then the werewolf for obvious reasons :)

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:25 am

SimonC wrote:ooh... how about this.
On the plexiglass, you could print onto it and image of a man in the same position as the werewolf (smaller than the werewolf so there are no flashes.) you then chain the werewolf up and wait until day light (turn the lights on, light a candle, use a torch etc.) to 'Release' the man from the wolf. you could of course laser etch the man onto the plexiglass too.
That was really a very good out of the box thinking and solution for this Simon and it makes sense. I love your clever idea. If we make the man smaller,it will also make sense. Just like incredible hulk who appear bigger after the transformation.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:51 am

I will perform this trick for the wife one of these days and let you guys know how it went because she never saw Suketina or any other version of it.
All I can say now is it looks absolutely beautifull in person. Also, the plexi is better quality then you get with Suketina, I don't think scratches will be an issue. The Werewolf 'hides' most of the plexi which makes it easier to hide the move, but some will say it doesn't look as 'clean' as the rugular versions. This is of course a personal opinion.
No, it doesn't make sense the plexi escapes the werewolf but I don't know if people will mind that much with a good story.
Magic Wagon decided not to incorporate any special gimmicks but then again it works as it should.
You really need to have this trick when you're fascinated with Lycans or like beautifull ornamental pieces that can do a litle magic.

As with most MW effects this is not one you will carry around with you, it's something that will look beautifull (or at least 'special') in the display cabinet (or on a shelve in the living room around Halloween) and people WILL ask you what the heck it is.

I'm glad MW decided to produce a classic like this in such a form. For me it really is the most beautifull Ribbon Fantastique-like trick there is. And if a wherewolf was the best idea is open for debate of course, I agree King Kong would have made a bit more sense with the chains but perhaps they were not able to produce it.
I think Simon's idea with the brass chain/silver chain makes a lot of sense and I will use that in my story for sure :)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:28 am

if you ever want to try the exiglass with aan etched into it just send me the dimensions of the but from the tricks and also a 'safe area' I can etch into without any flashes. I'll happily knock you up a sheet
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:29 am

That is mighty kind of you sir!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:29 am

Performed for the wife this saturday and it went very, VERY well. No clue on how it was done. Do take in mind she does not know any other version of this effect. She thought the Werewolf was gimmicked and didn't even ask for the plexi plate.
There are no 'sound 'issues with the metal chain (on the contrary, it makes it convincing) and the depth view which was a bit of a concern by some is no problem whatsoever, she was two feet in front of me and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I believe this is partly because she didn't know what was about to happen at the end.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:04 am

Found this video of The Absconding Lycan:

And from the same Youtuber....is funny to see how the guy was able to perfectly perform this Dragon Altar clon under very hard circumstances!!:

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:48 am

Both performances are great, thanks Roberto!
How the heck you manage to find these videos (or rare magic tricks for your collection ;) ) is beyond me. Coincidence (by Kreis hahaha ... :ugeek: ) or is it something more? :? ;)
By the way, I hope you don't mind me linking to the Lycan video in my Magic Wagon article? I was planning to make a video of it myself by the way but I don't think there is need for it anymore.