Magic Wagon - Ultimate Mental Boxes

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
Olaf S

Re: Magic Wagon - Ultimate Mental Boxes

Post by Olaf S » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:13 pm

ØyvindK wrote:I have some doubts about parts of the description, especially this line:

"The boxes and die are now handed to a spectator for examination."
I also can't imagine it, unless all parts are separated and examined individually
I was already interested but so fast I could not fill up my coins like they were sold
I also found the somewhat simple designed inner wooden box to be optical a bad choice

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:20 pm

Examination of all parts simultaneously can't be done, in my opinion. But I expected that, so I'm not really concerned about it.

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Yes you're right Steve, it's not an exclusive MW item.

It's a successor of Badlands Box and I must say, it's MUCH better than that! The handling is much easier, there are more possibilities, and once you know the positions, it's real FUN to perform!

I'm very pleased with my copy,

I'm glad Øyvind that you solved your issue with it, it must have been an exemplary problem,because mine worked perfectly.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:36 am

I guess it was luck that the (probably) one person that received a faulty copy was me, since I have a lot of tools and some skills to use them.

And I even used 3D printing in the process of fixing it. :-)

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:43 am

I have never bought anything from Magic Wagon. If the one thing I finally decided to buy was defective a strong attempt to send it back or demand healthy partial refund if I could fix it would have happened no matter how cool it was and confirm my feeling to never buy another item. I liked this one and would liked to have it. One reason I won't say my conscience just refused to get this particular item. ;)

My luck if I did buy one I would have been the one that got the only defective one. Seemed to miss the defect I do wonder what was wrong with it and why 3D printing had to be used to fix it. For sure takes away from the collectable part of the item which is one of the biggest reasons people buy magic wagon.
"let's continue on with this carnival-like atmosphere"

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:08 am

To make sure no one misunderstands this: Tony Curtis was more than willing to rectify the situation by sending me new parts.

The issue was to do with tolerances, and the fix was to mill away a tiny amount of wood from the inside bottom of the small wooden box. I 3D printed a sleeve/insert to both act as a protection for the inner walls of the box, and also to guide the milling bit.

The bottom of the box is lined with velvet, so I removed that prior to milling, and then replaced it afterwards. You can't really see that anything has been done to it. And I didn't buy it as a collectible, so it doesn't matter if someone would see it as of less value because of this.

Yes, the quality control obviously slipped on this one, but hopefully no one else experiences the same issue. And also, this problem was not with what Magic Wagon supplied (the outer box), the issue was with what Viking Magic contributed to the trick.

It really is a beautiful trick!

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:31 am

I would bet it wasn't the only one that was defective just nobody else wants to admit it. :D

Fixable or not I would still know it happened and a small outer ridge on the bottom no matter how thin where the router bit guide was on exist. If Tony Curtis was willing to send replacement parts I would have taken that road for sure why let them off the hook for defective item. This way they would check each item works before they send it out which is what they should be doing in the first place. :mrgreen:

Yes it is a nice looking item.

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:13 am

There's no ridge left after the routing operation, because due to how the box was constructed I could remove the ridge with a small chisel.

Every copy had been tested, so mine probably just slipped through the cracks. I'm a nice guy (I hope), so I don't feel I have to demand new parts, since I was able to fix mine.

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:18 pm

Well then every copy had not been tested your wasn't. I don't believe them if they told you every copy was tested :D

Well having to additionally use a chisel made it even more work that isn't a good thing. ;)

It was bad enough you made a complaint of some type to get a response from Tony Curtis.

Has nothing to be with being a nice guy to demand a replacement you paid a lot of money for a none defective product. No reason you should have to print a router guide and use a chisel to fix it. :?

You didn't have to demand a replacement it was offered so I'd jump on that horse and ride it home. :lol:

Richard W
Global Moderator

Post by Richard W » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:56 am

Rob

Are you going to make a video of Mini Diceolation. I don't seem to be able to find one anyplace. Even though I didn't get one I would like to see it in action. Sounds like you are having fun with yours. ;)

I am also wondering did anyone else find a defect with theirs or is it just a one time problem. :?

Richard

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:43 pm

Yes Richard, it's on my 'to do' list :)

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:46 pm

David DeTenyo wrote:I have their previous version called 'Mental Boxes'. It is based on an old principle. No clever gimmicks ;) It's an OK trick, nothing more, nothing less.
Another 'ultimate' version of one of their previous effects ... .
I am happy i ask Rob before i get in the fever to buy one today second hand
i do not know how it works but it must be a very simple basic magic handling
and i am not willing to pay a lot of money only for some high price little boxes

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Totally agree with you Olaf! You pay for craftmanship, not for cleverness.
Here on the forum are a lot of well informed members. It can save you money and disappoint,ent!

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Rob Rand wrote:Totally agree with you Olaf! You pay for craftmanship, not for cleverness.
Here on the forum are a lot of well informed members. It can save you money and disappoint,ent!
I find that a little too many tricks are produced with small and big boxes. I would wish Magic Wagon would invest a little more in the details of their products that are missing for me and not in the visual appearance. As an example there would be 360 where I miss a spring ;-)

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Simon Layland wrote:Mini Diceolation is available
Since I wasn't liquid at that time and I didn't really like the design of the inner wooden box, this expensive investment luckily passed me by. Then I experimented with a more simple solution that worked very well and was free for me. Is more of a Badlands Box variation but you can also loosen the transparent lid, fill the screw holes with wood wax and put on your own lid of your own choice. Then it's almost a "Mini-Diceolation" but with a better possibility to get the number one.
Today I had the muse to make a video of it.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Olaf S wrote:
Simon Layland wrote:Mini Diceolation is available
Since I wasn't liquid at that time and I didn't really like the design of the inner wooden box, this expensive investment luckily passed me by. Then I experimented with a more simple solution that worked very well and was free for me. Is more of a Badlands Box variation but you can also loosen the transparent lid, fill the screw holes with wood wax and put on your own lid of your own choice. Then it's almost a "Mini-Diceolation" but with a better possibility to get the number one.
Today I had the muse to make a video of it.

Great performance idea!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:10 pm

Very clever! Is there a secret something under the mat?

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Rob Rand wrote:Very clever! Is there a secret something under the mat?
Hi Rob, I'm afraid I have to say no, there is nothing under the bamboo mat
If you have the six up - and something underneath, nothing happens
And there's no way you're getting a number one up - give it a try