Magic Wagon - Magic Wagon MINI CUBE A LIBRE

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
Roberto B.
Charter Member

Magic Wagon - Magic Wagon MINI CUBE A LIBRE

Post by Roberto B. » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:19 pm

Joe Long has this for sale in case anybody is interested........can provide his email if needed......he also has an Elite Zig Zag Zig:

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Re: Magic Wagon - Magic Wagon MINI CUBE A LIBRE

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:47 am

Did anyone from here buy it? I didn't like the blind auction Joe came up with although I understand why he did it. I didn't bid on it, I suspect the price must have gone through the roof since it is something a lot of collectors want.
I've always been a bit puzzled with this effect to be honest. The regular Cube A Libre (which is still for sale but unfortunately not in a mniature version) is a piece of highly gimmicked apparatus with plates and magnets, I wonder what MW came up with in their version ... .
I do hope they will release a new version of this trick in the future!

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:31 am

I think you can see a shell on the Magic Wagon photo above.

Talking about "mini" cube - a - libres I have been tempted to nuy the Gimpys mgic verion......but still don do it.......very exensive....but probably worth it:

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:13 pm

I was originally very interested in this mini Magic Wagon version until I saw a photo of the cubes with the gimmick- I was very disappointed as the quality was really poor and it was obvious that there was a big gap between the cube and the s****.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:18 am

I agree there seems to be something a bit off with the shells. I would love to see this effect being performed in person.
Gimpy's version looks great, although during the routine some 'moves' the performer does are a bit 'off'. But that is probably me thinking as a magician and trying to figure out what is happening :)
The only thing that holds me back from buying Gimpy's version is that it is not really 'close-up', rather parlor, it's still quite big. I would really, really love to see a close-up version where the cubes are only a cm or 3 in diameter with perfect, very thin fitting gimmicks, but due to the nature of these gimmicks that could possibly ruin the effect when looking at it from a few feet away or just be impossible to produce. Perhaps it would be possible with metal but that could possibly have a noise issue.

John B.
Charter Member

Post by John B. » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:18 am

I bet Simon could make a great version suitable for up-close without sloppy shells! :-)

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:26 am

I was thinking actually about the right material for the shells to make them in a smaller size, something very thin but durable...
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:26 am

Plastic that looks like wood perhaps? Or metal that is painted?
From what I read either vinyl/plastic or metal is used for the shells. Harries version even uses cardboard shells (older versions plastic?) and it seems MW's version also used that material. The cheapest for sure but not the best choice perhaps. And I have read about someone in the USA making one with wooden shells! But that is probably a parlor stage version and not close up.

Tenyo's shell for their Bare Bones and the more recent Winnie The Pooh trick would be ideal but tough to make if you don't have the necessary equipment.

This will nonetheless be quite the challenge to make! I don't own any Cube A Libre trick so actually I don't know how it works exactly. Only shells or also ... magnets?
The challenge will be to make a real close-up version that needs to have very thin shells so the secret can not be seen.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:42 am

I did an interesting find. Read further here.