Alan Warner Magic

Here you can discuss magic tricks that Tenyo enthusiast would enjoy but might not be aware of.
MadisonPresents

Alan Warner Magic

Post by MadisonPresents » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:29 pm

I have recently stumbled upon Alan Warner's magic and I'm in awe.

I decided to start a facebook group of his magic.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1699400836956123/

If you guys wanna join, please do!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Re: Alan Warner Magic

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:47 pm

For some strange reasons I don't have any Alan Warner effect. It is I believe because I want to build in some restrictions in my magic collection.

Another reason is, that I want to become the next Alan Warner, and invent clever effects myself.

But it is great that you started tho FB page about Alan Warner. I want to subscribe just to know more of Alan Warner's clever beautifully made gems.

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:56 pm

You very well could become the next Alan Warner :)

I have just purchased his Mini Mental (the one in the cover photo of the group) and I can't wait to get it in!

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:01 pm

Mini mental looks cool!
Pity that our David is not on FB anymore, he is a great fan of Alan Warner!

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:07 am

I sure am :) But no FB for me I'm afraid, for several reasons.
I own quite a few of them and love them all very much. Clever, easy to do, great looking, quality build wooden micro magic - like Magic Wagon, but often a bit smaller (real close-up magic) and intirely made out of teak wood. You might want to read the litle article I wrote about taking care of magic (see my website), because the teak wood needs some oiling once a year or so.
Anyway, you're in for a real treat Madison!
About Mini Mental, I ordered 4 extra 'gimmicks' from Mr. Warner for a routine I came up with. If you're interested let me know, but wait untill you have it in your hands because I have to reveal the secret ;)

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:00 am

David DeTenyo wrote:I sure am :) But no FB for me I'm afraid, for several reasons.
I own quite a few of them and love them all very much. Clever, easy to do, great looking, quality build wooden micro magic - like Magic Wagon, but often a bit smaller (real close-up magic) and intirely made out of teak wood. You might want to read the litle article I wrote about taking care of magic (see my website), because the teak wood needs some oiling once a year or so.
Anyway, you're in for a real treat Madison!
About Mini Mental, I ordered 4 extra 'gimmicks' from Mr. Warner for a routine I came up with. If you're interested let me know, but wait untill you have it in your hands because I have to reveal the secret ;)

Okay I'll definitely get in touch :)

BillD

Post by BillD » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:50 am

Madison, it would be worth getting on Alan Warner's mailing list so you can keep up-to-date with his latest releases....especially the limited editions which are very collectable. Also, check out Andy Martin's website (link below) for review material on Alan's effects (and other magic inventors / effects).

http://www.martinsmagic.com/

I have been a customer of Alan's for about 15 years and in that time I have acquired quite a number of his effects (including a few limited editions) and I have never been disappointed with the workmanship / attention to detail that he has applied to each piece.

Randy

Post by Randy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Alan's Website is here

http://www.alanwarnermagic.com/

You can also see some of his magic here

http://www.thebestmagic.com/content/alan-warner
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:57 am

I am a big fan of his work but own only six of his creations. My favorites are the three puzzle effects. That is, Red Chinese Puzzle, The Oracle, and Rainbow Puzzle. I love them! They are all based on a similar puzzle which I really like so I had to have those pieces. Fun to handle, practice, and perform.

Roberto's demo of the Rainbow Puzzle is perfect!
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:34 pm

BillD wrote:Madison, it would be worth getting on Alan Warner's mailing list so you can keep up-to-date with his latest releases....especially the limited editions which are very collectable. Also, check out Andy Martin's website (link below) for review material on Alan's effects (and other magic inventors / effects).

I have been a customer of Alan's for about 15 years and in that time I have acquired quite a number of his effects (including a few limited editions) and I have never been disappointed with the workmanship / attention to detail that he has applied to each piece.
==========================================================
Hi Bill,
Is it possible to review your favorite Alan Warner effects?
I have always wanted to ad a AW item, but have never been sure where to begin.
Many thanks,
Bob~
and now, on with the show ...

BillD

Post by BillD » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:53 pm

Hi Bob,

As I said previously, I have been collecting Alan's effects for many years and have several dozen....including a few of his limited editions. As a collector I need to keep them in mint condition so they hold their value, therefore, I don't use them to perform with. That said I have never been disappointed with the workmanship and the detailed design of any of his effects. As a start (from a buying perspective) I suggest that you check out the reviews on the following websites to see what others have written......you will also need to get his latest catalogue to see what he has in current production....my copy is way out of date.

http://www.alanwarnermagic.com/category/reviews/

BTW, Paul Gross (Hocus Pocus Magic - CA) is currently selling a number of Alan Warner effects including the very collectable limited edition “Millennium Mini-Magic Collection” and also the “Eye of Isis” (both long out of production). Not cheap, but stunning.

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/

Hope this helps,

Bill

BluBob

Post by BluBob » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:36 pm

Many thanks Bill,

Yes, big help. I appreciate your expertise regarding Alan Warner. I see the quality in his work.

My personal POV comes from being around Guitars all my life. Many Guitars look great, but only a few have those magical properties and/or characteristics which give a Guitar world-class tonal qualities.

Once again, thanks for some clarity, and direction.

BluBob~
and now, on with the show ...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:26 am

The problem with all those reviews is almost all of them are 'excellent/4 or 5 stars' :D

Bill, you told you don't use your Gerlitz magic, and now I read you don't use your Warner either :shock: Such a shame my friend, you won't break them with an occasional performance I'm sure :D
I use my Warner magic from time to time (say 1 or two times a year at max ;) ) but always at my house in 'perfect' conditions (not after supper, not after having a glass of wine (or 3, 4 ...) ...) :) I even wash my hands before performing and never let a spectator touch the pieces when not really necessary :lol:
And, every now and then I apply a tiny amount of teak oil on them which makes them look like new (see article on my website on how to do that)!

Steve S.

Post by Steve S. » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:22 am

David DeTenyo wrote:The problem with all those reviews is almost all of them are 'excellent/4 or 5 stars' :D
Good point David! Please allow me to suggest the following. You can narrow it down by motif, type of effect and apparatus, and so on.

For example, if you want his pieces with the Egyptian motif, there is plenty of that. If you want pieces with a variety of colors such as Mini Mental, he has a variety of those. Then, you have penetrations, Mentalism, etc..

For me, it was the puzzle effects. He has three of those and that was the direction I took. Then, I went with three others that I saw demos for and really liked for a variety of reasons.

Of course, the method and ease of handling may be important factors as well. Determining these things may be more difficult for obvious reasons and that's where consulting someone familiar with the product is required.

I hope that helps!
It's a Tenyo day in the neighborhood!

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:30 pm

To revive this conversation, I purchased Mini Mental back in 2015 and purchased Thru 'N' Thru almost immediately after. Since then, I kind of lost the interest in Warner mainly because I became so focus in my training. (I even sold my Thru 'N' Thru, but I don't regret it.) My love just recently got rekindled for absolutely no reason at all (lol) and now I've purchased Voo Doo and can't wait to receive it!

For those of you who have several of his pieces, what do you say are his top 5? I'm thinking Pentra will be my next purchase from him. Any other suggestions?

Madison

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Sun May 12, 2019 11:35 pm

As an update, I ended up purchasing Pentra! I can’t wait to receive these two beautiful Warner pieces. I will be remaking a video for Mini Mental, and of course I will make a video of VooDoo and Pentra once I receive them. So be on the lookout for those!

Madison

Steve44

Post by Steve44 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:20 am

Madison, you made a smart move coming back to Alan's magic. I discovered him a few years ago and continue to collect the effects that most interest me.

Here's my list to date. Some I commissioned Alan to make and the others bought on the open market. I wouldn't part with any of them!!

Twister
Li Chang’s Boxes
Cover Up
Enigmatic
The Talisman (special ordered with 4th tablet)
Pharaoh’s Curse
Perverse Card
Rainbow Puzzle
The Oracle
Scarab-Scarab
Pentra
Do Mini O
Jack the Lad
Holusion
Egyptian Sun God Game
Initiala
Horus Scope
Coin Con
Sign of the Snake
Voodoo
Mini Mental

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Tue May 14, 2019 9:24 am

Wow! Quite a list, Steve! Maybe one day my collection will look like that ;)

Madison

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Wed May 15, 2019 6:02 pm

I just watched your video of "Mini Mental" Madison, and I enjoyed it very much. Even if I don't know the exact method used, it is possible to see the "move" you do. I think it might be better to do that move as you pick each block up from the table, as it will be easier to cover it with a large movement. Unless there's a specfic reason not to, of course.

Are the blocks examinable by the spectators? I'm guessing the stand is most likely not, though.

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Wed May 15, 2019 6:11 pm

There is a specific reason the blocks are handled in the way they are. I actually believe this is an improved handling over what is usually done.

No part of it is examinable.

Madison

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Wed May 15, 2019 6:21 pm

Ok, I see. Making something like this examinable is probably quite difficult, at least as long as it is mechanical.

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:08 pm

At long last I got my hands on the mother of all Alan Warner pieces: VooDoo.

Here’s what I came up with for it:

Madison

ØyvindK

Post by ØyvindK » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:21 am

That was quite entertaining, Madison. Your routine/story could also be used with an audience, just that you'd let one (or three) audience members instruct which holes to plug.

As to how it works, that's pretty much impossible to guess, except the obvious that all outcomes are possible. I guess the wooden case can't be examined at any point?

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:11 am

ØyvindK wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:21 am
That was quite entertaining, Madison. Your routine/story could also be used with an audience, just that you'd let one (or three) audience members instruct which holes to plug.

As to how it works, that's pretty much impossible to guess, except the obvious that all outcomes are possible. I guess the wooden case can't be examined at any point?
In an ideal world, I would have had a real layman there to chose where the pegs go. That is how it’s meant to be performed.

Not examinable at all. People who collect Alan Warner pieces always say to buy this one because of the genius of the method. And it truly is genius. The method he has created to choose which piece comes out is stunning. It was nothing like I expected.

Madison

MadisonPresents

Post by MadisonPresents » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:11 pm

Wow, I love this one more than I expected to.

Madison