Mental Bento and Miracle Dowsing Rods

Here you can discuss performing Tenyo. Routines, Combinations, Add-Ons, Repairs, etc.
Greg C
Charter Member

Post by Greg C » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:27 pm

With the Bento being a divination and the Rods a general purpose revelation, I found the two work well together.

From the time before personal computers and before my first typewriter I have done my scripts with dialog in upper case text. For me this is easier to read with the script on the table and props in my hands while rehearsing. There is no shouting here no matter what the kids say about current text conventions.

Preparation:

Make six cards with name of one of the Bento Box foods Box on each. Edge mark the top of the cards so they may be identified face down. I use dots positioned as the Bento Box indicator tabs. If possible make the dot colors match the Bento tab colors. During performance it is easier to read the cards if one lays them on a white card background rather than directly on a dark mat. Procure another box and call it a carry-out box. Get a small tripod stand and label it "Today's Specials."

Setup:

Keep the six food cards in the carry-out box. Have at hand the Bento Box, Dowsing Rods and the tripod stand.

Performance:

Bring out the Bento Box.

JAPANESE STREET VENDORS SOMETIMES USE A DISPLAY CASE FOR THE FOOD THEY SELL. THIS IS A MINIATURE VERSION FROM A TOY MANUFACTURER.

Open the box to display the food.

A REAL DISPLAY CASE IS LARGER AND HAS REAL FOOD.

Show the carry-out box, remove the cards and set them aside.

WHILE I LOOK AWAY REMOVE TWO OF THE FOOD ITEMS YOU LIKE AND PUT THEM IN THE CARRY-OUT BOX.

Turn away and wait until the helper is done.

HAVE YOU DONE THAT? OKAY, PLEASE CLOSE THE CARRY-OUT BOX AND REPLACE THE LID ON THE DISPLAY CASE.

When done turn back and move the display case to the side pressing on the lId making sure the remaining items are seated. Note and remember which items he chose. Show the food cards. Turn them face down and mix them. Hand them to the helper.

WOULD YOU MIX THESE FOR ME?

Taking them back, deal them face down in the order received.

NORMALLY WHEN CHOOSING SPECIALS FOR THE DAY A VENDOR PICKS WHAT IS MOST AVAILABLE THAT PEOPLE WILL LIKE. THIS IS A JUDGEMENT CALL. I PREFER TO USE A MORE PRECISE SCIENTIFIC METHOD. I USE DOWSING RODS.

Bring out the dowsing rods and show how they loosely flop around.

I FIND PASSING THEM OVER THE FOODS ONE BY ONE THE RODS SOMETIMES GIVE ME SOME SORT OF INDICATION.

Activate the rods when passing over the cards with the chosen food items.

THEN SEEM TO BE REACTING TO THIS ONE AND THIS ONE.

Place the two cards on the tripod without revealing the faces.

PLEASE SHOW US THE TWO FOOD ITEMS YOU HAVE CHOSEN.

Name them out loud.

THOSE ARE VERY GOOD CHOICES. YOU HAVE PICKED TODAY'S SPECIALS.

Turn the cards around on the tripod to reveal the match.

AlexBrazil

Re: Mental Bento and Miracle Dowsing Rods

Post by AlexBrazil » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:50 pm

Very creative, Greg!

VictorS

Post by VictorS » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:06 pm

Very nice combination of routine Greg. Love it ! Thanks for sharing this ! :)

Greg C
Charter Member

Post by Greg C » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it.