MAGIC WAGON

The wonderful magic creations made by Magic Wagon are discussed here.
JohnM
Site Admin

Re: MAGIC WAGON

Post by JohnM » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:47 pm

If the dice does everything why have a base?

I am one of the all time worse at figuring out tricks but I have learned one thing, the base would not be there if it was not part of the method especially since the trick would be a lot cleaner with less elements.

Yes for sure this is under developed. My project has been delayed until I can get all the details and elements as good as reasonably possible. I will not offer it for sale until it is something that I would want to buy and sell.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:59 pm

It's going to be a masterpiece :)
Now you see me...

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:07 pm

Just realised, that last post was number 3500, huzzah!
Here's to hitting 5000 before the 1 year birthday :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Now you see me...

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:25 pm

When is the 1 year birthday?

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:37 am

Roberto B. wrote:When is the 1 year birthday?
July 17th.

We should make 5000 no problem as we were below 3000 earlier this month.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:57 pm

I received the trick this morning.

The trick works as follows:
- a spectator rolls a die a few times and it seems normal
- an envelope (MW provides a few litle goldish envelopes - not gimmicked) with a predicition is put on the table
- the die is put into a glass (use ANY glass, the stand and glass are not necessary to perform) and the spectator can shake the glass all he wants, the die will, of course, change position
- water is poored in and the die is seen to 'thumble' around a few times while floating (only a cm or two) and in the end is on the bottom with a number on top
- the number is what you have predicted in advance

Magic Wagon provides a litle something so you can let everything be examined afterwards - the number will change ad random every time the spectator tries the trick.

So, what I hoped is true. There are no m*****. You can perform with any glass and stand. You can use multiple dice at once - each will land with a specific number on top.

The Poseidon trident is a cute (brass) thing that adds to the story - very nicely made. Glass is, well a normal glass. Stand is nice but nothing like 'WOW!', but that's fine for me and it kind of explains why this is one of the cheapest tricks they have made the last few years. It's a very unique effect that, combined with other effects and a good story, will be a nice addition to every magic trick collector.
Perhaps even professional magicians who do walkaround in restaurants can use it. They only need to carry the die or dice with them, and they can use an empty glass on the table

Because of the nature of the die it can be used with other 'special' effects - you'll see what I mean once you read the manual.

I like it. Extremely easy to do (even the switch is easy because MW added a litle something in their routine that makes it easy), and it looks good (not great), works great and is something special. It can be done for several spectators, each with their die - you of course know the outcome.

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:27 pm

I think they should have just sold the dice.

I think they have sold a set of just gimmicked dice before.

To add the plain glass and the un-needed stand makes no sense. It just added to the cost and the shipping fee.

For sure magic is better when you do it with less props or with borrowed props. The trick is much stronger if you use a glass at a restaurant or ask for a glass when performing at a friends house.

The trident is cool but I don't think most will use it when they perform.

I think Magic Wagon made a set of gimmicked dice into something that they can charge more money for.

Shame on them especially since all of their customers are basically the same every time and very loyal.

Does it come with 6 dice as you thought?

John P.

Post by John P. » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:03 pm

$140 for gimmicked dice. Just think about it for a second and let it sink. Simply unbelievable. I see Magic Wagon a little bit like apple. Smart business model, good marketing, until they start making a lot of money. When that happens people just seem to get blind, stop innovating and release the same things over and over again (how many more dice effects are they planning to release?) This is a good example of a unfinished product (if we can call it that) just to make money. Plain and simple. There's nothing new here. It's forcing dice charged at premium price with some regular props to try to justify the cost. Shame.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:03 am

John, there are 6 gimmicked dice and two regular ones.

Yes, you are basically buying gimmicked dice and a brass trident. And yes, the cost of those dice alone and trident is probably far less then what MW asks for them - I even suspect MW bought their glasses/coasters en mass in a supermarket or 'Home Depot'-kind of shop, that's how ordinary they actually are 8-).
But we can't blame Magic Wagon for asking more then the gimmicks are basically worth, can we? That's just how magic tricks often are. At least here I don't have a feeling like "I payed 140 USD for THIS :x ?!" - a feeling I did have quite often when I first started collecting magic ... .

I have never seen these type of dice. Yes, there are floating dice and there are loaded dice, but these are floating, loaded dice: die is put in glass, water is poored in and die floats a cm or two while thumbling around a few times and lands on the correct number. This will suit some, and some won't like it, nothing wrong with that.

I believe this trick really demands a switch at the end so spectators can try for themselves, else they will suspect the die to be gimmicked. Magic Wagon provides a litle something in their routine that makes the switch very easy.

I have bought perhaps half of what they released last year because of the 'not 'that' again feeling' with some of their tricks. I was not very happy with Quantum Tunnel for example.

I have said this before I think but Magic Wagon, in my opinion, is just releasing too many effects and a lot of their effects are not really innovative at all.
I wish they would go back to recreating existing, hard to find/discontinued miniature miracles like they did with Blue Phantom, Majestic Hydro Die or Mini Cube-A -Libre. And please ... enough with the dice now MW!

JohnM
Site Admin

Post by JohnM » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:34 am

David, I am glad that you like it and are happy with your purchase.

That is the most important thing.

John P.

Post by John P. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:26 am

I've received it this morning. The dice and the trident are very well made. I like the effect but I don't think it's worth $140. For what you get it's worth $50-$60 not more than that. I paid $140 for a regular drinking glass (not a small vial as I was imagining) dice, a base and a trident. I have to admit this disappointment is my fault :) It was an impulse buy as its my first MW purchase. With a nice patter this is a good mentalism piece (I love the plot) that can be used in a professional setting, but as we have discussed before, they should have supplied better props like a nice ornamented base, sea creatures dice, a custom made vial, etc. If they did that they could charge $150 or more for this and would have sold a lot more I think. Just my 2 cents. Value for the money 6/10.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:15 pm

David DeTenyo wrote: I wish they would go back to recreating existing, hard to find/discontinued miniature miracles like they did with Blue Phantom, Majestic Hydro Die or Mini Cube-A -Libre. And please ... enough with the dice now MW!
David....stop waiting......you can find this beautiful Blue Phantom here:

http://www.emagictricks.co.uk/product_i ... ts_id=5656

According to Martinsmagic this versión is better than the Magic Wagon one...........also the mechanics are different and improved (no spring needed).

Last edited by Roberto B. on Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:31 pm

I ordered this one before but they were out of stock. Last December 20, they informed me that it was available. I did not notice the email and read it after a week. I tried to contact them if it is still available but they never replied.

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:44 pm

BobD wrote:I ordered this one before but they were out of stock. Last December 20, they informed me that it was available. I did not notice the email and read it after a week. I tried to contact them if it is still available but they never replied.
I think these are made by order.....I have one and when I put the order (last November) I didn't knew that......after about 1 month lead time they ship it.......at the beginning I was very concern because they did not answer my emails.....but after a while I realized that for some reason all their email goes directly to my spam filter.....maybe you have the same problema.

The apparatus is beautiful and the mechanics are very clever, .......also I like the fact that this versión does not use a spring.....this way the working ir more smooth and fail proof.

Recommended!!

I have been spending my money in these things!!.....that's why I still don't get the 2014 Tenyo line!!

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:03 am

Yes, this is much better than the MW version. The MW version is out of proportion. I have the vintage Owen Blue Phantom but never I used it at all.

I ordered this piece last August but they did not ask me to pay. They told me to pay when it is ready. They sent me an email but I was not able to read it right away. Maybe they sold the trick to someone else.

I really like this piece, too bad I missed it.

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:34 am

Thanks for the info guys.
I actually have been thinking about buying that one a year or two ago, but I bought the Magic Wagon version previous to that and didn't have the money.
The MW version is indeed quite 'big'. Also the paint on the top of the gimmicked stack was a bit damaged on my version (I bought it second hand) :(
This is definately on my wish-list this year :)

Oh and don't get me wrong, Poseidon Dice is definately expensive for what it is! All I was trying to say is that the dice themselves are pretty unique. But no worries if you still want it, I've already seen two for sale. And since not everyone likes it the price will probably drop in the near future ;)

Rob Rand
Charter Member

Post by Rob Rand » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:43 am

You are right Roberto about the blue phantom from emagictricks. Co. UK I have this one too, the blue version as seen on your picture, works like a dream, made by a great craftsman. I had to wait too for a while but it was worth the waiting!

BobD
Charter Member

Post by BobD » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 am

John P. wrote:I've received it this morning. The dice and the trident are very well made. I like the effect but I don't think it's worth $140. For what you get it's worth $50-$60 not more than that. I paid $140 for a regular drinking glass (not a small vial as I was imagining) dice, a base and a trident. I have to admit this disappointment is my fault :) It was an impulse buy as its my first MW purchase. With a nice patter this is a good mentalism piece (I love the plot) that can be used in a professional setting, but as we have discussed before, they should have supplied better props like a nice ornamented base, sea creatures dice, a custom made vial, etc. If they did that they could charge $150 or more for this and would have sold a lot more I think. Just my 2 cents. Value for the money 6/10.
Mine arrived last week but I just got to open it yesterday. The props are classy and professional looking but are worth half the price. The other half is the price one is paying for a Magic Wagon piece. This trick is best suited for a story teller magician like RobRand.

I am not a good story teller but the trident is so sinister looking that I am planning to use this as a morbid effect. This morbid effect can be made into a comedy effect similar to a head chopper. I would tell of a certain place where people would gamble an eye for a large sum of money. To recreate the event, I will get a volunteer and then ask him to name a number from one to six.

I would then introduce the props and the explain the mechanics on how the the die will be used. If the number he calls out happens to be the number on top of the die he loses an eye; otherwise, he wins $100. The trident will be used in removing his eye. He knows that I will never remove his eye and because the odds of losing is one in six, it will be easy to convince a spectator to agree. .

An eye patch for the spectator and several pictures of prior victims would make a nice addition to this trick. Since the audience know that I will never remove the volunteer's eye the effect to them is a Bank Night type of trick.

SimonC
Global Moderator

Post by SimonC » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:43 am

You could dust some water activated dye onto the end of the trident so the water turns blood red as you stir it
Now you see me...

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:51 pm

Those are both excellent ideas!

Roberto B.
Charter Member

Post by Roberto B. » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:30 am

I just read you Magic Wagon article David......very interesting!!

Seeing your collection photo I realice that you managed to put your hands on their Blue Phanton versión.....good for you!!......how you did it?

David DeTenyo
Global Moderator

Post by David DeTenyo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:39 am

I bought it second hand from a Magic Cafe member a year or two ago. It is not in 100% new condition however, on the top of the shell the yellow paint chips a bit off, but nothing that anyone will notice.

Funny you brought this thread back to life because yesterday I sent an e-mail to emagictricks regarding their Blue Phantom. I hope they will reply soon - I will check my spam-box for sure :)

Pete1805

Post by Pete1805 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:47 am

There are a couple on ebay one is £250 the other is over £1000,you never know my lottery ticket might come up
Pete :D

Olaf S

Post by Olaf S » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:14 pm

David DeTenyo wrote: I like it. Extremely easy to do (even the switch is easy because MW added a litle something in their routine that makes it easy), and it looks good (not great), works great and is something special. It can be done for several spectators, each with their die - you of course know the outcome.
For me your statement sounds good :-) the small water glass with a stand and the trident are very cute to look at ;-) it's all a matter of taste. Is the cube that the spectator has tried before, the same one that is thrown into the glass ? If so, then the trick is ingeniously easy to perform. A normal waterglass reduces the special flair of this trick in my eyes, but it's also possible to go only with the cube :-) Too bad that many Magic Wagon tricks are hardly available anymore. The good side is, always fresh magic will appear ...